C

canon007

Enthusiast
I got some advice on another thread and i'm trying to decide on my speaker choices to go with my home theatre setup with a new Denon 4200W receiver. I was originally considering the following Pioneer setup that would total $872 CDN:
  1. Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed 130 watt Floor Standing Tower Speakers (SPFS52) - $358 CDN
  2. Pioneer 2-Way Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel Speaker (SPC22) txat is 90 watt - $148 CDN
  3. Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Compact 80 Watt Bookshelf Loudspeakers (SPBS22LR) - $168 CDN
  4. Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed 100 Watt Powered 8" Subwoofer - $198 CDN

After getting feedback on another forum that these are entry level budget speakers, i'm trying to decide between KEF and Elac. Challenge is that I'd have to order the Elac's online and there's no place for me to try them locally. I was trying to stay under $1500, but wanted to get input on whether the it is spending nearly double for the Elac or KEF speakers over the Pioneers.

I'd appreciate getting input on which would be the better choices between the following two options:

KEF setup totals : $2243
    Front: KEF Home Speakers Floorstanding Speakers/Towers Q700 (B)- $988
    Centre: KEF Home Speakers Centre Channel Speakers Q200c (B) - $399
    Rear: KEF Home Speakers Bookshelf Speakers Q100 - $348
    Sub: KEF Home Speakers Subwoofers 10" Q400 (B) - $498

Elac Option: Setup total is $$2098
    1. Elac Package that includes Elac-Debut-F6 -B5-C5 ( FRONT: 2 - Debut F6 loudspeakers, CENTRE: Debut C5 Centre channel, REARL 2- Debut B5 Bookshelf speakers) - package price is $1699
    2. Elac Andrew Jones Debut S10 powered subwoofer 200-Watts Powered Subwoofer KS11-BK-S10 - $399

The Elac package is on sale at the following - not a mainstream online store - i need to confirm that the price is correct, and it is the F6 floor speakers included and not the F5:
    https://topchoices.ca/audio-devices/hi-fi-audio-packages/Elac-Debut-by-Andrew-Jones-Speakers-Set-Floor-standing-F6-book-shelf-B5-center-speakers-C5

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
You really have to hear speakers to get idea how they sound. I would say KEF is nice upgrade how ever only you can say if it is worth it. For subwoofer there are much better options for the value.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
+1. What he said.

That KEF Q series is on sale prices right now in both Canada and US, I just don't know if those prices you posted take that into consideration. And yes, look to SVS, Rythmik, Hsu Research and others for subwoofer(s). That Q400b is OK, but you can do a little better for similar money or a touch more.

BTW, just get the Q500 instead of Q700. They are really pretty good and the difference between the two is made up easily by putting that money into the sub.

C

canon007

Enthusiast
+1. What he said.

That KEF Q series is on sale prices right now in both Canada and US, I just don't know if those prices you posted take that into consideration. And yes, look to SVS, Rythmik, Hsu Research and others for subwoofer(s). That Q400b is OK, but you can do a little better for similar money or a touch more.

BTW, just get the Q500 instead of Q700. They are really pretty good and the difference between the two is made up easily by putting that money into the sub.
I checked out the KEF speakers at Visions. Unfortunately, they don't have their speakers setup to hear them, but i'm leaning to getting the KEFS. Any advice on the subwoofer? The following are the options Visions has in the %00 range:
  1. Polk Audio 12 wireless ready-SUbwoofer DSW660) - $499
  2. Soundstage Triple 8 Inch Powered Subwoofer (LF500) - $499
  3. KEF 10" 200 Watt Subwoofer - Black Oak (Q400) - $498

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
If that's the only 3 to choose from (I checked their website), the Polk clearly has the best specs.

Their website shows it for $598 though, not $499. If you can get it for that price it's a good deal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis