P

pauljvl

Audiophyte
I have owned many Loudspeakers and not one could put a glove on this Loudspeaker ,if bought with minimal upgrade
In thd Bud Fried tradition you have a 45 inch tall speaker, 8 inch wide x14 inch deep.
A Rear transmission line and very minimal 2nd order Xover daily easy to drive
The Hiquphon 3/4 inch driver is one of the few that pair match their drivers to within 1/2 dB.
Very accurate and detailed. The 2 mid-subs 7 inch drivers are the top of the Denmark Peerless line
Nomex cone with phase plus. As usual Jim Salk beautiful cabinet work.
The Xover option the inductors the Excellent Jantzen Denmark , the well known Mills resistors all good .
Here is the upgrade it comes with Solen capacitors used by many OEM. Jim Offers Mundorf Upgrade . Only 3 capacitors In total
In this Xover for excellent sonic purity just the way Bud Fried would have wanted it..I asked for Mundorf Supreme 2 for the mids ,highs, and a Mundorfs Evo oil ,for the Bass .
I have heard the stock model .Just these 3 capacitors truly transformed this already very good Loudspeaker.
Now the image depth is almost tube like . I am using a Pass labs 1st watt F6 modified to a dual mono design
50wpc into 4 ohms Pure Class A . Custom 300B Preamplifier DHT, Schiit Gungnir Multibit dac Aurender 100H player AQ Diamond USB , Silnote ,JW audio cable. Just to give you an idea .
The top end before good detail now the tweeter has much more air around the instruments fast opened and
A realism is much more part of the mix. The midrange mid bass has grip and Prat the images are now deep in the soundstsge. These Peerless drivers are very close to the Scan speaks revelator The only thing sonicly is maybe over high100 plus dB their heavy motors will outdo .for anyone that still has hearing. Over 90db hearing loss.I played constantly 90-95 dB peaks for a song or three .SRV,Led Zeppelin, or live at Blues alley .late night listening
Is now Automatic .in reality a minimum of a 25% increase across the board better to me in involvement of the performance it is night and day better. I suspected this would happen based on my vast experience with
Parts upgrades. The weakest link in the chain is No more. The Realism with this very minimal Series Xover
3 capacitors In total means anything not right you are experiencing .through the Much better Mundorfs
A true transformation !! No hype or BS just the way myself and several others can attest to and the Xover is not even fully runin yet.
Also the transmission line truly allows this speaker to play large
The Bass now has much more grip and slam hearing a kick drum or a brush off the drum head is clearly
Defined. lord helmet Olsher said these are a competitive speaker even at $6 k . The Xover upgrade which Dennis Murphy
Did a excellent job designing this seamless series Xover . From 35hz to past 22khz I would have No reservations
Putting these speakers again many speakers up to $10K. Myself being in Audio for well over 30 years have owned a audio store in the UK and have had every type of speaker you can imagine. Value is what I look for now not
How much $$ in recommended components. I have worked with parts upgrades for many years .
A capacitor sonicly is not just a capacitor the better ones are far better snd Bigger and take at least 150hours
To open up and continue to refine over another 200 . For the extra $600 or so you have a excellent speaker across the board. One listen you are no longer fighting your records or cds also are a bit more forgiving with a much more
Natural presentation.with all types of music.I have a JL sub if I want thunder,but normally not needed Any .in thus $4k price catagory I find nothing even remotely close at this price point .Audiophile willing to take a drive I am in New England ,Worcester,Ma .I would welcome you to come over for s few hours . I had surgery ,I am home most of the time email me with questions.
I also have pictures if interested inside and out .

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Hi I'm very happy to hear you're enjoying the Fried's. I haven't heard them with any upgrades, so I can't comment on that part of your post. Since these are only sold through dealers, I'm curious about how you arranged for the upgrade. I take it you worked through the dealer, and he (she) asked Jim to build a custom pair?

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
I have owned many Loudspeakers and not one could put a glove on this Loudspeaker ,if bought with minimal upgrade
In thd Bud Fried tradition you have a 45 inch tall speaker, 8 inch wide x14 inch deep.
A Rear transmission line and very minimal 2nd order Xover daily easy to drive
The Hiquphon 3/4 inch driver is one of the few that pair match their drivers to within 1/2 dB.
Very accurate and detailed. The 2 mid-subs 7 inch drivers are the top of the Denmark Peerless line
Nomex cone with phase plus. As usual Jim Salk beautiful cabinet work.
The Xover option the inductors the Excellent Jantzen Denmark , the well known Mills resistors all good .
Here is the upgrade it comes with Solen capacitors used by many OEM. Jim Offers Mundorf Upgrade . Only 3 capacitors In total
In this Xover for excellent sonic purity just the way Bud Fried would have wanted it..I asked for Mundorf Supreme 2 for the mids ,highs, and a Mundorfs Evo oil ,for the Bass .
I have heard the stock model .Just these 3 capacitors truly transformed this already very good Loudspeaker.
Now the image depth is almost tube like . I am using a Pass labs 1st watt F6 modified to a dual mono design
50wpc into 4 ohms Pure Class A . Custom 300B Preamplifier DHT, Schiit Gungnir Multibit dac Aurender 100H player AQ Diamond USB , Silnote ,JW audio cable. Just to give you an idea .
The top end before good detail now the tweeter has much more air around the instruments fast opened and
A realism is much more part of the mix. The midrange mid bass has grip and Prat the images are now deep in the soundstsge. These Peerless drivers are very close to the Scan speaks revelator The only thing sonicly is maybe over high100 plus dB their heavy motors will outdo .for anyone that still has hearing. Over 90db hearing loss.I played constantly 90-95 dB peaks for a song or three .SRV,Led Zeppelin, or live at Blues alley .late night listening
Is now Automatic .in reality a minimum of a 25% increase across the board better to me in involvement of the performance it is night and day better. I suspected this would happen based on my vast experience with
Parts upgrades. The weakest link in the chain is No more. The Realism with this very minimal Series Xover
3 capacitors In total means anything not right you are experiencing .through the Much better Mundorfs
A true transformation !! No hype or BS just the way myself and several others can attest to and the Xover is not even fully runin yet.
Also the transmission line truly allows this speaker to play large
The Bass now has much more grip and slam hearing a kick drum or a brush off the drum head is clearly
Defined. lord helmet Olsher said these are a competitive speaker even at $6 k . The Xover upgrade which Dennis Murphy
Did a excellent job designing this seamless series Xover . From 35hz to past 22khz I would have No reservations
Putting these speakers again many speakers up to $10K. Myself being in Audio for well over 30 years have owned a audio store in the UK and have had every type of speaker you can imagine. Value is what I look for now not
How much $$ in recommended components. I have worked with parts upgrades for many years .
A capacitor sonicly is not just a capacitor the better ones are far better snd Bigger and take at least 150hours
To open up and continue to refine over another 200 . For the extra $600 or so you have a excellent speaker across the board. One listen you are no longer fighting your records or cds also are a bit more forgiving with a much more
Natural presentation.with all types of music.I have a JL sub if I want thunder,but normally not needed Any .in thus $4k price catagory I find nothing even remotely close at this price point .Audiophile willing to take a drive I am in New England ,Worcester,Ma .I would welcome you to come over for s few hours . I had surgery ,I am home most of the time email me with questions.
I also have pictures if interested inside and out .
Pictures would be great. I hope that you will be feeling better soon. I to, am recovering from foot surgery.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for your listener's impressions. I've never heard the new Bud Fried towers and have been curious about them. All I know about them is from the web site http://www.friedproducts.com/.

Please show us some photos.

We all hope you recover from the surgery, and that your typing skills also recover, or improve :rolleyes:!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Since these are only sold through dealers, I'm curious about how you arranged for the upgrade. I take it you worked through the dealer, and he (she) asked Jim to build a custom pair?
When I read the whole web page the answer was obvious – he ordered directly.

It lists a number of dealers in Delaware, New York, Pennsylvania, and Washington. The OP is in Worcester, MA.

"In the event that there are no Fried dealers in your vicinity, you can order direct from us. Simply use the form to the right to place your order."

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis