JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Can anyone with a lot of experience with THX in general try to explain what the THX cinema mode does ? And another question I had was, are current Blu-rays before they are released mastered for home theater use? Thank you. I have a Yamaha RX-Z9 AV receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Believe it is similar to Audyssey's reference/movie curve, generally flat response but rolls off the high end frequencies....blu-rays are made for home use.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Believe it is similar to Audyssey's reference/movie curve, generally flat response but rolls off the high end frequencies....blu-rays are made for home use.
THX claims that Blu-rays are not made for home use, therefore the THX Cinema mode is recommended. What do you make of this ? Is it BS? And if Blu-rays are made for home use, why would you use THX Cinema ? You would not need to re-EQ then correct?

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
THX says that where? Who else uses blu-rays but home users? Try this thread.

Been a while since I delved into the THX mode stuff, including the re-eq thing, suggest you search for answers.
It's been said that movies are mixed for large theaters and therefore the audio tracks are not transferred to DVD's to compensate for room acoustics

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's been said that movies are mixed for large theaters and therefore the audio tracks are not transferred to DVD's to compensate for room acoustics
"It's been said" is fairly meaningless without a source fwiw. Where's your quote on what THX said about blu-ray mixing?

Of course movies are mixed for theaters primarily, then they're remixed for home use on media like dvd/bluray. This is still different from a soundfield on your avr.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
"It's been said" is fairly meaningless without a source fwiw. Where's your quote on what THX said about blu-ray mixing?

Of course movies are mixed for theaters primarily, then they're remixed for home use on media like dvd/bluray. This is still different from a soundfield on your avr.
Well I guess I'm confused then, The whole purpose that THX has their surround mode I thought was to re-EQ What was supposed to be for theaters for the home ? And I can't remember where I saw that, not making it up. So you're saying that all these Blu-rays are remastered for home theater use? Then what is the point of the post THX processing? Why would one want to eq what's already been equalized on the blu-ray ?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I guess I'm confused then, The whole purpose that THX has their surround mode I thought was to re-EQ What was supposed to be for theaters for the home ? And I can't remember where I saw that, not making it up. So you're saying that all these Blu-rays are remastered for home theater use? Then what is the point of the post THX processing? Why would one want to eq what's already been equalized on the blu-ray ?
Pretty much the same purpose as Dolby's sound modes, or Audyssey's, or DTS's....upmixing or supplying a slightly different sound (and advertising the brand).

Did you read the thread I linked which includes input from people who actually do mix blu-rays?

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Pretty much the same purpose as Dolby's sound modes, or Audyssey's, or DTS's....upmixing or supplying a slightly different sound (and advertising the brand).

Did you read the thread I linked which includes input from people who actually do mix blu-rays?
Watching that video now of the editing guy from Sony Thank you

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Watching that video now of the editing guy from Sony Thank you
Mostly just marketing.

The general advice--Try all the modes in your installation and determine the mode that sounds best to your ears in your install.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Also be sure to read the various comments from others in the mixing biz...Film Mixer particularly.
Ok. And again thank you for the video. He even mentions that he believes all the surround modes are pretty useless nowadays With the mastering that they do

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Don't be confused;)

From THX:
http://www.thx.com/consumer/thx-technology/thx-av-receiver-features/

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Why would one want to eq what's already been equalized on the blu-ray ?
For the same reason Yamaha built your receiver with, "51 surround sound programs (71 variations) with SILENT CINEMA and Night Listening Mode".

Did you run YPAO? Do you ever listen/watch in any mode other than "Direct"? If yes, you are "eq'ing what's already been equalized". It is a matter of preference. Yamaha offers you a lot of choices, and all of them eq what's already been equalized. Pick the one(s) you like.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I use YPAO for BluRays and TV broadcasts. BluRays run in straight decode mode with no post processing. I use THX mode on my older RX-V1500 when watching TV broadcasts.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
For the same reason Yamaha built your receiver with, "51 surround sound programs (71 variations) with SILENT CINEMA and Night Listening Mode".

Did you run YPAO? Do you ever listen/watch in any mode other than "Direct"? If yes, you are "eq'ing what's already been equalized". It is a matter of preference. Yamaha offers you a lot of choices, and all of them eq what's already been equalized. Pick the one(s) you like.
Yes I ran YPAO. Everything is set small crossed over at 80hz. Bass out to SWR. I had to turn the subs down to About 9 o'clock to get YPAO to level everything perfectly. I will run through all the modes again even the THX mode to see which one gives me the most true life representation. I no longer run 4 RF-7ii's. I have now just a pair and spread apart for proper imaging. I have moved the other pair to another system.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis