How to Increase Dynamic Range of Your Home Theater System

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Dynamic range is the ratio of maximum system output to the noise floor. The more you improve upon this ratio, the better sounding your system will be since it would not have to work as hard for you to hear the loudest and softest musical passages with absolute clarity.

In this article and related YouTube video, we provide the six (6) essential steps for improving system dynamic range. Be sure to share your experiences and tips in our related forum thread too.

Read: How to Increase Dynamic Range of Your Home Theater System

U

utopianemo

Junior Audioholic
These are great tips. I have low impedance Epos Epic speakers(4 ohm), but my Pioneer SC-95 drives them very nicely.

While these are generally great tips, I've found that I would like a little less dynamic range sometimes, particularly with movies. Even when I have the guys over for an action Blu-Ray, I still find myself riding the volume dial on bombastic passages.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
These are great tips. I have low impedance Epos Epic speakers(4 ohm), but my Pioneer SC-95 drives them very nicely.

While these are generally great tips, I've found that I would like a little less dynamic range sometimes, particularly with movies. Even when I have the guys over for an action Blu-Ray, I still find myself riding the volume dial on bombastic passages.
I tend to agree, I typically need some DRC for movies to keep from blasting everyone out of the room!

As much as I hate to do it, I hate the sudden ear-splitting booms even worse.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I live for dynamic range.... its what makes music sound alive and I find that it draws me into the film that I'm watching. Just yesterday, I got kicked in the chest twice while watching the first Star Trek reboot.

That being said, my better half hates it and rather listen to a soundtrack that was at a more consistent loudness level. I don't understand this myself.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis