Speaker Magnetic Shielding Failure

P

PolkMan81

Audiophyte
Hello all. I've got a problem with my center speaker on top of my tube HDTV. I have a Polk CSi3 center speaker connected to a Pioneer VSX-1014. Right now, when I get around -15 db when interference from the spearker starts to mess with the picture. I used to have it connected to an Onkyo TX-SR501 and this never happened. I'm just assuming that having more power running to it has caused this to happen. I've set the speaker to small on the receiver hoping somehow that might help, to no avail.

I know probably the easiest solution might be putting distance between the TV and it. I want to try to maintain the sound field as it is now, and I don't have an east way of putting more space between it and the TV. Is there something I could place under the speaker that might help eliminate this? Will I have to resign myself to spacing the speaker away from the TV? Thanks for the help.

D

danagibbs

Audiophyte
speaker interference

I'm having a similar problem.I bought JBL e100's and ec35 ctr with a 250 watt sub and I have terrible interference on my panasonic rear projection tv.Moving the ctr has not helped,though I cannot move it far.I've sent two emails to JBL for help,but have as yet not gotten an answer. If you find help I would greatly appreciate an update on your solution.

S

slopoke

Audioholic Intern
You could try...

I don't pretend to be an expert on this but.... many years ago I had an IBM PC jr that would cause display problems if the monitor was set on top of it. I resolved this by putting a piece of aluminum foil between the PC and the monitor. You could try this between the speaker and the TV. This may or may not work for you but it takes 1 minute to try and costs nothing so it's a good first stab at it.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
A CRT uses a magnetic field to deflect the signal to the various locations on the screen- if you want a clean picture, move the speaker.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
A CRT uses a magnetic field to deflect the signal to the various locations on the screen- if you want a clean picture, move the speaker.
That is good advice, although it is perhaps a tad late. Who knows, maybe he will still benefit from it!

I used to have a 19" CRT monitor on my desktop. My desktop speakers were a pair of vertical MTMs with 6.5" woofers that had some very significant magnets in the motors. I could distort the picture by adjusting toe-in. Good times!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When I had that issue many years ago, I used hockey pucks. It worked, but I ultimately moved the speaker and then got a new TV.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
What's with the old topics? So many have been lately brought up..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis