Speakers's Sensitivity?

Bob Leonard

Bob Leonard

Junior Audioholic
What determines a speaker’s sensitivity. The drive or the crossover, or both?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The design of the drivers, cabinet and crossover. Voltage in equals some level of output, in decibels. If the speaker presents a complex impedance to the amplifier, the amp ay have issues with it, but with a good design (for both), this shouldn't be a problem.

Bob Leonard

Bob Leonard

Junior Audioholic
I want to change the drivers in my center channel speaker to make it more efficient. The sensitivity of the speaker is 88db. If I swap the drivers out to lets say 94db. would the speakers have a sensitivity of 94db? or would I also have to change the speakers crossover?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I want to change the drivers in my center channel speaker to make it more efficient. The sensitivity of the speaker is 88db. If I swap the drivers out to lets say 94db. would the speakers have a sensitivity of 94db? or would I also have to change the speakers crossover?
To change drivers in your speakers you would also need to take crossover and cabinet in consideration to make them sound good. It is not so simple to just change drivers to make another good speaker, when you change drivers you change the whole design of speaker. You are better of just buying a new speakers, as it is best to match the front speakers. Question for you tho, why do you want more sensitive center speaker?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I agree with tyhjaarpa.

A speaker's sensitivity is a complex result of the individual drivers' sensitivity, the cabinet size & tuning, and the crossover. The cabinet size & tuning affects the sensitivity of the woofer(s) in the lower and mid bass range.

The crossover affects the sensitivity within one octave (for a 4th order crossover) or two octaves (for a 2nd order) of the crossover frequency.

The cabinet size & tuning probably has a larger effect on a speaker's overall sensitivity.
If you swap out the drivers (which ones?) you would almost certainly have to build a new cabinet of different dimensions, and redesign the crossover.

If your center channel speaker truly has a sensitivity of 88 dB, it should be fine as is. Are there other problems you have with it?

Drivers and finished speakers with an honest 94 dB are very rare, and are usually better suited for large auditoriums or outdoor use. Speaker makers often exaggerate sensitivity numbers as they know customers attach too much importance to higher values.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't call 94dB speakers "very rare". Here's a thread for higher sensitivity/spl capable speakers that may be interesting.

Easily accomplished DIY, might look at diysoundgroup.com

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wouldn't call 94dB speakers "very rare". Here's a thread for higher sensitivity/spl capable speakers that may be interesting.

They are not as common as you might think. Sensitivity can be overstated quite a bit, which is what many manufacturers do. Don't take anyone's word for their sensitivity rating. At the very least, learn which methodology is used to achieve that rating.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They are not as common as you might think. Sensitivity can be overstated quite a bit, which is what many manufacturers do. Don't take anyone's word for their sensitivity rating. At the very least, learn which methodology is used to achieve that rating.
Just saying they're not "very rare" let alone common. Not everyone is looking for such but there are plenty out there if that's what you want....Klipsch in recent years are pretty famous for overstating the spec, at least they come to mind first.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord

Speakers that claim very high sensitivity such as 94 dB are common.

Those that deliver an honest sensitivity rating of 94 dB are much less common.

And finally, those that deliver honest high sensitivity >90 dB combined with high fidelity sound are extremely rare and likely to cost big bucks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Who cares what speakers don't actually deliver what you want? It's like looking at models of cars that don't meet your needs. Who cares how many don't?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So you are both talking about what the average consumer might run across without looking for specific speakers? Strange way of shopping but many do just that with audio, for sure. Maybe that's what you're referring to rather than finding competent speakers with the sensitivity you desire?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis