Morgan Audio

Morgan Audio

Audioholic
I want to bi-amp my speakers. My amp is the Onkyo TXZR800 and usually when you set it to biamp, it used either the back or height channel amps for the biamping but I want to add an amp to actively amplify the bottom half. They are capable of this, I'm just not sure how to go about hooking up such a configuration.

I feel if I use the pre-outs to lead to the power amp, then to the bottom half of my towers that the main speaker out may then not work to power the mids and tweeter.

Is it even worth the trouble?

Morgan Audio

Morgan Audio

Audioholic
Um,, the speakers, to my understanding have their crossover set up for active bi amp but I know nothing more about doing it. I just thought it might give me some more strong and tight bass.

Thank you for your response. I think I'll just leave them be until I l,earn more and have better equipment to work with.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Um,, the speakers, to my understanding have their crossover set up for active bi amp but I know nothing more about doing it. I just thought it might give me some more strong and tight bass.

Thank you for your response. I think I'll just leave them be until I l,earn more and have better equipment to work with.
Aside from DIY types, bi-amp ready speakers are typically ready for passive bi-amp. Such speakers typically come with removable jumpers. For active bi-amp, unless the speaker's internal crossover can be bypassed externally, you are going to have to remove it yourself.

Morgan Audio

Morgan Audio

Audioholic
yes sir, they have the jumpers. They are the SV6500 towers, I heard it on the video, and saw someone else say it was possible in a post, that guy with all the T12 like towers, that's where I got the idea. But Im not rich like that by any means

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
No it's not. Bi-amping and tri-amping is for the DIY crowd.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You can ACTIVELY bi-amp the WOOFERS in the SV-6500 towers when you REMOVE the JUMPERS.

When you remove the jumper, you turn the SV-6500 tower into 2 different speakers: Monitor (internal passive crossover) plus Subwoofer (no internal crossover).

So you can use 1 amp to PASSIVELY power the treble + midrange and 1 separate amp to ACTIVELY power the bass (like use a Subwoofer Amplifier to power the bass).

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can ACTIVELY bi-amp the WOOFERS in the SV-6500 towers when you REMOVE the JUMPERS.

When you remove the jumper, you turn the SV-6500 tower into 2 different speakers: Monitor (internal passive crossover) plus Subwoofer (no internal crossover).

So you can use 1 amp to PASSIVELY power the treble + midrange and 1 separate amp to ACTIVELY power the bass (like use a Subwoofer Amplifier to power the bass).
So how are you actively bi-amping? Sounds passive without an active xover....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So how are you actively bi-amping? Sounds passive without an active xover....
Who says there is not an active crossover? I said there is not a crossover INSIDE the sub. But there is a crossover OUSIDE the sub.

One example, my ACTIVE Linkwitz Orion speakers do not have INTERNAL crossovers. They have an EXTERNAL Active Crossover.

Also, Active means the crossover comes BEFORE the amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Who says there is not an active crossover? I said there is not a crossover INSIDE the sub. But there is a crossover OUSIDE the sub.

One example, my ACTIVE Linkwitz Orion speakers do not have INTERNAL crossovers. They have an EXTERNAL Active Crossover.

Also, Active means the crossover comes BEFORE the amp.
So how does this active crossover work for the OP with his speakers and his avr and amp?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So how does this active crossover work for the OP with his speakers and his avr and amp?
He could use the Active Subwoofer Crossover in his AVR. Output that signal to an external Subwoofer amp. Then connect to the bass section of the tower.

It's exactly how people handle an active subwoofer system that comes with an EXTERNAL amp.

You have heard of active subwoofer systems that use external amps?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
ADTG is just saying that when you remove the jumpers the lower, woofer section becomes a "subwoofer" and the upper section becomes T/M "bookshelf" speaker. You would use the sub pre out on the AVR and connect that to an external amp and then amp to woofer section. That's actively crossing over the upper section to the lower section.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
D'oh! That separate amp kept not coming into my thoughts but yes I'm wrong of course with the external amp and using the sub pre-out. Not that I'd consider 6.5" woofers as substitutes for subs, tho....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
D'oh! That separate amp kept not coming into my thoughts but yes I'm wrong of course with the external amp and using the sub pre-out. Not that I'd consider 6.5" woofers as substitutes for subs, tho....
That depends on the "subs".

Each SV6500 has 3 x 6.5" woofers, so pair of towers = 6 x 6.5" woofers = 200 sq. inch surface area of woofers. That's equivalent in surface area to a single 16" woofer. Of course, other things like total cabinet volume, amp power, driver materials, etc., factor in.

It won't outperform bigger subs like the RBH SV1212 and other bigger subs. But 200 sq. inch of woofers can produce a lot of bass.

Bottom line, you can turn the SV6500 tower into a passive monitor + active subwoofer system.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Albeit true on size, the Fs still will dictate the bottom. I'm sure the f10 looks good but I'd never consider it as an equivalent to 15" sub. We have used dual 8" SS revelators to pull some high output low hz but the box volume was still large. Rbh has a good history of getting the most out of their drivers.

Each SV6500 has 3 x 6.5" woofers, so pair of towers = 6 x 6.5" woofers = 200 sq. inch surface area of woofers. That's equivalent in surface area to a single 16" woofer. Of course, other things like total cabinet volume, amp power, driver materials, etc., factor in.

It won't outperform bigger subs like the RBH SV1212 and other bigger subs. But 200 sq. inch of woofers can produce a lot of bass.

Bottom line, you can turn the SV6500 tower into a passive monitor + active subwoofer system.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

LOL yes, insufficient substitution (pun intended) :) Can't position the "sub" in a tower properly either in most cases....but if just stuck with the towers you might eke out some extra bass from the little woofers with this tweak I suppose. How much output are these 6.5" "subwoofers" capable of?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
LOL yes, insufficient substitution (pun intended) :) Can't position the "sub" in a tower properly either in most cases....but if just stuck with the towers you might eke out some extra bass from the little woofers with this tweak I suppose. How much output are these 6.5" "subwoofers" capable of?
1. Sub placement. Most people don't even have enough room for the best sub placement. They pretty much stick the subs where they fit. Another factor is aesthetic. Most people aren't willing to place the subs just anywhere. Most people will be place the subs on either side of the front left & right speakers anyway.
2. I don't know the actual SPL/FR. But subjectively, the bass output is a lot for many people with rooms no bigger than 15x18x10.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis