Old Marantz Speakers

P

ParadiseSound

Audioholic Intern
We have hung on to some really old (maybe 1970’s) Marantz HD 770 floor standing speakers. The cabinets are in beautiful walnut wood condition. Fabric grill is perfect. But the insides....well they look all of their age. I have a surround sound system and like to hear nice sound but am not technical at all. So keep that in mind if my questions seem dumb.

1. Are my Marantz speakers worth having redone?
2. Any rough estimate of what that costs?
3. Any idea of who does something like that in Dallas/Ft Worth area?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
We have hung on to some really old (maybe 1970’s) Marantz HD 770 floor standing speakers. The cabinets are in beautiful walnut wood condition. Fabric grill is perfect. But the insides....well they look all of their age. I have a surround sound system and like to hear nice sound but am not technical at all. So keep that in mind if my questions seem dumb.

Pictures will help you to get good responses!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

To be honest with you, those Japanese speakers were designed to look more impressive than they were.

This is your speaker.

It is a 4 way, second order with crossovers as specified above.

It is sealed but despite that has respectable bass performance, being 3 db down at 33 Hz.

The biggest problem with these types of speakers were the awful midrange drivers, that were cheap TV speakers.

I would not put much money into them.

You can do it yourself and see if you like them.

Here is your service manual.

I suspect that the inards are actually fine except for the controls. I would clean them with contact/tuner cleaner.

The woofer surrounds likely need refoaming. This you can do yourself. You can get surrounds here.

P

ParadiseSound

Audioholic Intern
Thanks much for the reply and the links. We are very much diy'ers so may give it a try. I do not remember what they sounded like when we had them in use and they actually were hardly used. They have spent most of their lives in the closet, hubby wouldnt let me throw them out. But they would look nice standing beside the tv now, in use. I have a Pioneer VSX-LX101 receiver right now with BS22 LR fronts, matching center and rear. Dont know if that receiver would drive the HD770’s or not. Would use them as my l/r fronts if so and if I was happy with our refurb job.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks much for the reply and the links. We are very much diy'ers so may give it a try. I do not remember what they sounded like when we had them in use and they actually were hardly used. They have spent most of their lives in the closet, hubby wouldnt let me throw them out. But they would look nice standing beside the tv now, in use. I have a Pioneer VSX-LX101 receiver right now with BS22 LR fronts, matching center and rear. Dont know if that receiver would drive the HD770’s or not. Would use them as my l/r fronts if so and if I was happy with our refurb job.
That Pioneer will drive them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis