Anyone with opinions on Energy Veritas v2.2i?

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
I've always wanted a pair of these since my college days (but couldn't afford them at the time) and back in the early 2000s these were hyped to be amazing monitors. Anyone have one or have heard one and know how they would compare with some more modern speakers in the $1000-2000 price range?

I've been trying to hunt for a used one for a while to see for myself what the fuss was about but they all seem to have issues, either damaged cabinets (not the veneer which I know peels over time, but actual damage) or non "i" versions (which had issues with woofers dying).

Do you think these could give say a Kef LS50, Revel M105, or Ascend Sierra-2 or a Phil Harmonitor a run for it's money, or is it closer in performance to say a NHT C3/Ascend Sierra-1/Polk Lsim 703?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Seems like a waste of time to me to do this.

To me it would be like pursuing that girl you admired from afar 15 years ago, only to find she's a completely different person than you imagined. There has been a lot of work done on modern speakers in that price range. Those old speakers haven't made anyone's "best speakers of all time" list that I have seen.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I've always wanted a pair of these since my college days (but couldn't afford them at the time) and back in the early 2000s these were hyped to be amazing monitors. Anyone have one or have heard one and know how they would compare with some more modern speakers in the $1000-2000 price range?

I've been trying to hunt for a used one for a while to see for myself what the fuss was about but they all seem to have issues, either damaged cabinets (not the veneer which I know peels over time, but actual damage) or non "i" versions (which had issues with woofers dying).

Do you think these could give say a Kef LS50, Revel M105, or Ascend Sierra-2 or a Phil Harmonitor a run for it's money, or is it closer in performance to say a NHT C3/Ascend Sierra-1/Polk Lsim 703?
I own a pair of LS50 and I would say for the same price (if new) the 2.2i could be a better deal but that's hypothetical as you won't be able to buy the 2.2i new. In reality the LS50 at their price point is hard to beat in a small room otherwise you have to factor in the cost of subwoofers. I bought my 2.3i after auditioning the older version of the 2.2i that the dealer had at the time. Those veritas speakers are relatively neutral and sweet sounding speakers.

Last edited:
I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
That's surprising. These were $1500/pair speakers back in the early 2000s. So you are saying a NIB pair today would definitely be better than the top performers in the $1500 price range today?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That's surprising. These were $1500/pair speakers back in the early 2000s. So you are saying a NIB pair today would definitely be better than the top performers in the $1500 price range today?
I thought the 2.2i's street price was higher than that about 12 years ago. Perhaps the $1,500 was for the older 2.2? I paid $1,200 for the LS50 only about 2 years ago. It is hard to compare prices directly $ to $ when the time gap is that large. IMO the 2.2i was a top performer at their price point, much better than the KEF Q series of the days. I would compare the Veritas V2.0i through V2.4i favorably against the current KEF R series, YMMV.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis