Monolith 7x200 Multi-Channel Home Theater Power Amplifier Preview

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes, etc., built a car for Monoprice and it goes under the name Monoprice, would you buy it for 1/2 the price? :D

The Monoprice bumper-to-bumper warranty is 3YR, instead of 5YR.

X

XIANV

Enthusiast
I agree it looks like ATI. But...
  1. Can it really deliver 7x200W from a 15-amp circuit? Class D maybe, but AB?
  2. "Designed and engineered in the USA"? Not made in USA? Doing everything in-house in CA has always been one of ATI's main features.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I agree it looks like ATI. But...
  1. Can it really deliver 7x200W from a 15-amp circuit? Class D maybe, but AB?
  2. "Designed and engineered in the USA"? Not made in USA? Doing everything in-house in CA has always been one of ATI's main features.
When under real world conditions would you have ACD load on the amp?

paul.arhitex

paul.arhitex

Audioholic Intern
Couple thoughts:

1. The price is nominally $1499 vs $1899, but the Monoprice figure doesn't include shipping. The warranty is also 3 years vs 5 for the Emo amps.

2. The Emo is a lot lighter (53 pounds vs 93 pounds), which is nice for those of us that don't have Gene or Hugo's physique.

3. On the topic of power...the Monolith pretty much performs as advertised/expected, which is to say its a beast. The S&V bench test result of 178W with 0.1% THD and all channels driven is a testament to how robust the power supply is. That said, the 2ch driven results are a bit less impressive, only rising to 215W with 0.1% THD. The Emo Gen 3's are liable to do better in this regard, which is an important factor with real world content, given that it rarely (if ever) stresses all channels simultaneously.

in this case i would like the Emotiva xpa gen3 at a much much lower price - i know that is possible cuz the real total price(china factory) is not more de 300-500$ for each xpa gen3 - 7 channels

mhdaniels31

mhdaniels31

Audioholic Intern
this is deffinately ATI 1807 without the 7 year warranty back when outlaw still sold this model they gave a 5 year warranty either way what im truely waiting for is mono price's next few monolith amplifier releases that are designed to go up against outlaw audio model 5000 as far as im concerned compaired to emotiva basix offerings which just look like a reboot of the old upa series its the true audiophiles hometheater on the cheap amp of choice there isnt anything else that even comes close to competing and that price range which is right at what a cost concious consumer can spend without flinching at the price if monoprice really wants to make a name for themselves in the internet direct market with there monolith series i feel that they need to take a good hard look at how outlaw audio who for the moment seems to have no competition emotiva emersa line is supposed to come out soon based on the new ice chipsets which is what ive been waiting for that way i can compare it against the model 5000 its going to be my first multi channel amp that i add to my hometheater for 11 channel audio and to free up some stress on my denon recievers amplifier so im hoping that monoprice continues growing the line quickly so i can see there budget offering but so far the outlaw5000 is the only amp thats caught my attention but from my understanding they plan to expand the line i hope that its at least before the fall and holiday season

S

Sal1950

Junior Audioholic
View attachment 18349
Look at all of that heatsink surface area and mass. Remember, heat rises. This is a well-thought out design. I wouldn't place this amp in a tightly packed cabinet, though if the cabinet has a fan or two it might work.
These are the types of heat dissipation designs that lend to amplifiers that deliver 25-30 years and more of trouble free operation. Heat is always the slow killer of any component, the cooler they run the longer they last.
545.jpg

555.jpeg

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
View attachment 18349
These are the types of heat dissipation designs that lend to amplifiers that deliver 25-30 years and more of trouble free operation. Heat is always the slow killer of any component, the cooler they run the longer they last.
View attachment 18348
View attachment 18350
The amp in the lower picture is not an efficient design. Note how the output transistors are not mounted directly on the main finned bodies of the heatsinks.

X

XIANV

Enthusiast
When under real world conditions would you have ACD load on the amp?
Never, I agree.

The point I failed to make is that ATI has traditionally underspecced their gear & we should mention it if Monoprice is playing it looser.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Never, I agree.

The point I failed to make is that ATI has traditionally underspecced their gear & we should mention it if Monoprice is playing it looser.
I was going by the third party specs.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
ATI provides production average & limit specs to MonoPrice, then MonoPrice decides which level of specs to release...

Just my $0.02... ;)
Just go by the S&V measurements. By all accounts, that is a heck of an amp at a heck of a price!

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Just go by the S&V measurements. By all accounts, that is a heck of an amp at a heck of a price!
Sound & Vision test results were incomplete..
No mention about power output @ 20Hz or 20kHz..

Just my $0.02.. ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Just my $0.02.. ;)
Hmm. I will have to look at that again when I get a chance.

Did you look at the online results, or the physical magazine? I had the magazine, I thought that I saw complete results in there. But, I haven't looked at the online article for S&V.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Agreed, but then don't seem to do that.

Here are the measurements for the AT6005:

Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 328.9 watts
1% distortion at 387.6 watts
Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 288.4 watts
1% distortion at 349.8 watts

Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/content/ati-at6005-amplifier-test-bench#Dlq6rO8SEEA2eTyb.99
It looks like S&V uses 1kHz for power and distortion measurements.

- Rich

Last edited:
S

Sal1950

Junior Audioholic
The amp in the lower picture is not an efficient design. Note how the output transistors are not mounted directly on the main finned bodies of the heatsinks.
The amp in question is the Nelson Pass designed Adcom GFA-555, cira 1984-1995
As of today there are 20 listed for sale on ebay, all stated as in good working condition.
None are currently listed as inoperative or for parts only.
After 21-32 years in service that's says something about their "inefficient cooling" design. ;)
Once again, if you pack as many components in a single 17" wide chassis as possible with little
room for circulation the heat and time will eventually take it's vengeance.
Even given the belief that all modern apps sound the same, if you purchase amps on the highest watts per dollar path, somethings gotta give. First on that list will be life expectancy.
Ciao,

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
As of today there are 20 listed for sale on ebay, all stated as in good working condition.
After 21-32 years in service that's says something about their "inefficient cooling" design. ;)
Once again, if you pack as many components in a single 17" wide chassis as possible with little
Even given the belief that all modern apps sound the same, if you purchase amps on the highest watts per dollar path, somethings gotta give. First on that list will be life expectancy.
Ciao,
I agree that the physical layout and design looks to be inefficient for heat dissipation.

But, that isn't the full story. I'm curious what the quiescent state is on those, quite possibly biased heavily towards class B so that an inefficient heat dissipation isn't a killer like it would be if biased to pure class A.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
With respect to heat, from the S&V review:

It passed the tests with flying colors, but I must say that it does get quite warm. After one 75-minute session of multichannel music, I used a digital infrared thermometer and measured the amp’s temperature at 152 degrees Fahrenheit (though it may have been picking up some internal heat off the vent)....As noted earlier, since cooling fans have been eschewed to avoid unwanted mechanical noise, adequate ventilation is a must.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So you are comparing two channel amps to a 7 channel, wonder how their designs would look with a few more channels stuffed in there :rolleyes:

Ciao,

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
So you are comparing two channel amps to a 7 channel, wonder how their designs would look with a few more channels stuffed in there :rolleyes:
Agreed!

Use the end amp channels for the L/R, then use the other channels for the surrounds.

It will be a moot point because the surround rarely draw enough power to put out serious heat.

S

Sal1950

Junior Audioholic
Well wasn't that my whole point? There are tons of variables involved, class of operation, power supply designs, etc. But trying to stuff so much in a single 17 format for cost savings just isn't the best idea if long term reliably is taken into account.
For my 7.1 system I'm running 4 separate stereo amps. Also offers the advantage that if one amp goes down I'm still up and running a 5.1 system while that single amp gets repaired/replaced.
BTW, I purchased my Adcom amps used off ebay for just about half the cost of the Monoprice under review.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis