speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Just curious if anyone here has heard any of the LSA 1 Monitors? LSA which stands for Living Sounds Audio has (3) different versions of the LSA 1 Monitors:

http://thelsagroup.com/

There is the Standard addition, the Signature, and the finally the Statement versions. Hence, the Standard uses a fabric dome tweeter whereas the Signature uses a Ring Radiator tweeter. Lastly, the Statements use an Aurum Cantus folded ribbon tweeter.

What I am more interested in is if anyone here has heard the LSA 1 Signatures? If they use the Vifa Ring Radiator tweeter, then I am familiar with that one. Just curious as to how well it s integrated. The Arum Cantus Ribbon also looks promising. Perhaps, someone here has heard those as well?

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Wow! Guess the LSA A1's are not too popular,no? Figured someone here has heard them. Just curious is all.

Cheers,

Phil

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Just curious if anyone here has heard any of the LSA 1 Monitors? LSA which stands for Living Sounds Audio has (3) different versions of the LSA 1 Monitors:

http://thelsagroup.com/

There is the Standard addition, the Signature, and the finally the Statement versions. Hence, the Standard uses a fabric dome tweeter whereas the Signature uses a Ring Radiator tweeter. Lastly, the Statements use an Aurum Cantus folded ribbon tweeter.

What I am more interested in is if anyone here has heard the LSA 1 Signatures? If they use the Vifa Ring Radiator tweeter, then I am familiar with that one. Just curious as to how well it s integrated. The Arum Cantus Ribbon also looks promising. Perhaps, someone here has heard those as well?
Phil

I haven't heard any of those LSA speakers. But after I saw the prices, I knew what they would be directly compared to… the 2-way Philharmonitor. And, to justify the higher prices for the LSAs, they would have to sound better than the Philharmonitor. It's certainly not impossible, but I believe it isn't likely. Just sayin.

I have heard other speakers that use the Vifa Ring Radiator or the Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeters, and both are good. But your question about "how well it (the tweeter) is integrated" is probably equally or more important to overall sound quality than the nature of the tweeter itself.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil

I haven't heard any of those LSA speakers. But after I saw the prices, I knew what they would be directly compared to… the 2-way Philharmonitor. And, to justify the higher prices for the LSAs, they would have to sound better than the Philharmonitor. It's certainly not impossible, but I believe it isn't likely. Just sayin.

I have heard other speakers that use the Vifa Ring Radiator or the Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeters, and both are good. But your question about "how well it (the tweeter) is integrated" is probably equally or more important to overall sound quality than the nature of the tweeter itself.
Richard I just was curious to see if anyone here had ever heard/owned any of the LSA 1 Monitors. It is very obvious that is NOT the case. They are advertised over on Audiogon and seemed to offer great value. However, I am certainly NOT going to take a chance on them.

There are a few offers for a set of the Paradigm Studio 20 v5's for $998 shipped! That is really not a bad deal imho. At one time, I could get the Studio 20's for less due to a friend that sold them. Unfortunately, that place is now closed. Was offered a set of the Studio 10 v.5's for $550 and I declined. Could almost kick myself for doing so. Truthfully, I was NOT familiar with the Studio 10's. Have owned the Studio 20 v.3's in the past and loved them.

As far as the Philharmonitors go, I am certainly eyeing them. But, they are a bit out of my price range. Hence, it does look like I may just have to pony up the money for them OR even the BMR's. I am certainly considering it. The Polks are NOT going to hold me over very much longer. Appreciate your input as YOU have been a great help. The same to KEW.

Cheers,

Phil

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
One regular that I know of has them- seems to be pretty happy with them.
Look up PG Rider.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
One regular that I know of has them- seems to be pretty happy with them.
Look up PG Rider.
Not finding much of anything on PG Rider. Any suggestions? Do you happen to know which version of the LSA 1 Monitors he owns?

Cheers,

Phil

Goodband

Goodband

Audioholic
If you are going to look at speakers in this price range try to listen to the KEF LS50. They are everything I was looking for in a bookself and I am sure they would sound great paired with your subs

Envoyé de mon SGH-I337M en utilisant Tapatalk

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
If you are going to look at speakers in this price range try to listen to the KEF LS50. They are everything I was looking for in a bookself and I am sure they would sound great paired with your subs

KEF is certainly on my to do list that is for sure. Have never heard any KEF speaker, but I do know that they are highly regarded. Will be sure to look more into to per your recommendation. ;););)

Cheers,

Phil

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
KEF is certainly on my to do list that is for sure. Have never heard any KEF speaker, but I do know that they are highly regarded.
For what its worth, I have listened carefully to a pair of KEF LS50 speakers in my home. Another AH member visited while he was in the area to buy a pair of used Salk SongTowers. He also brought his KEFs so I could hear them. We compared them to the similarly sized DIY CAOW1 speakers I have. They are nearly identical to the Salk SongSurround I speakers that sell for around $900 per pair. The KEF LS50s go for about $1500 per pair.

I thought the KEF was a very nice sounding speaker. Its the best sounding coaxial mid woofer/tweeter that I've heard. The cabinet is very well built and sounded solid to the knuckle test. The bass and mid range are excellent. The major difference I heard between it and the 2-way CAOW1 (5½" Seas CA15 coated paper mid woofer and Hiquphon ¾" silk dome tweeter) was in the treble. The CAOW1 had a better range of response that had noticeably wider dispersion. The separate dome tweeter in the CAOW1 was different and better sounding.

If some one is buying new bookshelf speakers, I think the SongSurrounds are a better buy than the KEF. Overall, I enjoyed listening to the KEF, but I don't think it's higher price is worth it.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
For what its worth, I have listened carefully to a pair of KEF LS50 speakers in my home. Another AH member visited while he was in the area to buy a pair of used Salk SongTowers. He also brought his KEFs so I could hear them. We compared them to the similarly sized DIY CAOW1 speakers I have. They are nearly identical to the Salk SongSurround I speakers that sell for around $900 per pair. The KEF LS50s go for about $1500 per pair.

I thought the KEF was a very nice sounding speaker. Its the best sounding coaxial mid woofer/tweeter that I've heard. The cabinet is very well built and sounded solid to the knuckle test. The bass and mid range are excellent. The major difference I heard between it and the 2-way CAOW1 (5½" Seas CA15 coated paper mid woofer and Hiquphon ¾" silk dome tweeter) was in the treble. The CAOW1 had a better range of response that had noticeably wider dispersion. The separate dome tweeter in the CAOW1 was different and better sounding.

If some one is buying new bookshelf speakers, I think the SongSurrounds are a better buy than the KEF. Overall, I enjoyed listening to the KEF, but I don't think it's higher price is worth it.
I find this very interesting. Did NOT know the KEF LS50's were $1500 a set. If I were going to spend that much, then there is absolutely no doubt that I would opt for the BMR's. Still may end up doing so before it is all said and done. However, I am trying to cover ALL of my bases so to speak first.

Over time I have learned more about myself. That is, as much as it pains me to say, I really do NOT care too much about HT anymore. But, my music is a MUST. Don't get me wrong, I do like a movie every now and then. Just not like before several years ago. Prefer to listen to my music and mellow out.

So, I am looking for something more in the $850-$900 range that is musical. The best that I have heard in that price range used a Vifa Ring Radiator Tweeter and I loved them. BTW, the speakers that I am referring to were NOT the Polk LSi/LSiM series. Actually, they were the Tyler Acoustics Freedom Bookshelfs. I know that Ty used the Vifa XT25 Ring Radiator Tweeter, but don't remember what mid was used.

Been also looking at the SVS Ultra Bookshelfs, but as Kurt has pointed out for a little more money I could opt for the Philharmonitors instead. He certainly has a point. Can also get a set of new Paradigm Studio 20 v.5's for $998 shipped! That is so tempting and not a bad deal at all. So, the question is, however, how do the Studio 20 v.5's compare to the Philharmonitors?

Really not wanting to spend $1500 for a set of speakers right now. Not sure if that would be in my best interest. Prefer a bookshelf that uses the 1" Seas Millennium Tweeters and the 7" Seas Magnesium Mids similar to the Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitors. Still yet, if I can get anything even remotely close to the Linbrook Signature Monitors (an MTM design) using the Seas drivers, then that would be the ultimate for me. Those went for about $3500 a set or so. Way out of my budget range. But, it never hurts to dream.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Here is some info on the Linbrook Sigs along with some specs:

http://www.stereotimes.com/speak102504.shtml

Here is some info on the Taylo Monitors:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/tyleracoustics_taylo.htm

I thought that the Taylo Reference Monitors used a 7" Seas Magnesium driver, but it looks like it is actually a 6 1/2" instead. Oh well, my memory is NOT what it used to be. Can't seem to find much on the Freedom Monitors. But, did find this:

http://www.cnet.com/products/tyler-acoustics-freedom-f-2-monitor-speakers-wired-series/specs/

I do specifically recall asking Ty where was the sub when I was first listening to the Freedom Monitors. Kept looking around trying to figure out where it was. Then, Ty simply explained to me that there was no sub playing. I am like really? The Freedom Monitors did use a smaller mid, but just don't recall what size. Perhaps, a 5 1/4 "? Anyways, I was just blown away with them.

But nothing and I mean nothing impressed me as much as the Linbrook Sigs. At 55lbs each, I knew they meant business. The Taylo Monitors are no slouches by any means of the imagination. Just hoping I can get as close to the Taylo Monitors as possible-even if I have to spend more than I want to. It is part of my condition.......you know being an audiophile......LOL!!!! :D:D:D:D

Cheers,

Phil

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
go demo the KEF LS50's at a nearby B&M shop. Your ears will thank u. :) most shops will negotiate down to $1,200 and/or occasionally a recently used pair can be had for $1000 on Audiogon, US Audio Mart, eBay, etc.

obviously I'm biased but if I had only a $1,000 bucks to spend on a pair of speaker's, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the LS50's again. I demoed the Paradigm Studio 20 v5's and many others, including the LSA1 in 2013. it was a solidly built and impressive sounding speaker at it's price point, but to me it didn't have the depth and detail that the LS50's had. I guess that's where the extra $300 bucks comes in. ;) BTW, they like power; the more u apply, the more they sing. and like any bookshelf or some towers, u will need a subwoofer to cover the bottom end, especially in a bigger room.

just another man's opinion. go and demo as many speakers as possible ... ur ears will let u know ..... and enjoy the hunt.

Goodband

Goodband

Audioholic
I am biased too but they don't leave me look for anything else and that speaks!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
go demo the KEF LS50's at a nearby B&M shop. Your ears will thank u. :) most shops will negotiate down to $1,200 and/or occasionally a recently used pair can be had for $1000 on Audiogon, US Audio Mart, eBay, etc.

obviously I'm biased but if I had only a $1,000 bucks to spend on a pair of speaker's, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the LS50's again. I demoed the Paradigm Studio 20 v5's and many others, including the LSA1 in 2013. it was a solidly built and impressive sounding speaker at it's price point, but to me it didn't have the depth and detail that the LS50's had. I guess that's where the extra $300 bucks comes in. ;) BTW, they like power; the more u apply, the more they sing. and like any bookshelf or some towers, u will need a subwoofer to cover the bottom end, especially in a bigger room.

just another man's opinion. go and demo as many speakers as possible ... ur ears will let u know ..... and enjoy the hunt.
Which version of the LSA 1's did you hear? Happen to remember? Will also look for a LS50 demo close to my area. Sure will have to drive as there is NOT much in my parts audio wise. As far as subs go, I have (2) sealed 15" subs so I am good on that one. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

Richard, I have been reading up the CAOW1/SONGSurround. Really like what I am reading and the CAOW1 is in my price range. Is it a 4-ohm speaker? I see that the CAOW2's are. Where can I get more info on the CAOW1? Been to murphyblaster.com. There is some info there, but I want more. Very excited about this. :D:D:D:D

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The CAOW1 and the CAOW2 use the Seas ER15RLY 5" mids that are 8 ohm. So, then I assume that the CAOW1 is an 8-ohm speaker whereas the CAOW2 MTM design is a 4 ohm. This must be due to both mids being wired in parallel. Am I correct? How does the tweeter change the over all impedance? For example, if a 2-way speaker uses an 8 ohm mid driver, but a 4 ohm tweeter what would be the resulting overall impedance? Does the crossover design affect the impedance? I do know crossover points change as impedance change, no?

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Which version of the LSA 1's did you hear? Happen to remember?
the Reference Monitor's with a dome tweeter, not the Signature series. sorry I don't remember the sales person mentioning which version they were. I would assume I was listening to whatever the latest version was in production in 2013.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Contact Dennis @Philharmonic Audio and see if he'll make you a pair of the Alesis speakers. I believe they sound very similar to the Sierra 2 for around $800. If available I wouldn't even look elsewhere in that budget.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I have been reading up the CAOW1/SONGSurround. Really like what I am reading and the CAOW1 is in my price range. Is it a 4-ohm speaker? I see that the CAOW2's are. Where can I get more info on the CAOW1? Been to murphyblaster.com. There is some info there, but I want more. Very excited about this. :D:D:D:D
As far as I know, the CAOWI & SongSurround I are both 8 ohm speakers. Both speakers use the same drivers (all 3 are 8 ohm) and the same sized cabinets:

The CAOWI crossover has 2nd order (12 dB/octave) slopes, and the SongSurroundI has 4th order (24 dB/octave) slopes. I have the CAOWI which I built, and I also have the SongTowers & SongCenter which also have 4th order crossovers. I can't tell the difference in the two crossover types. Dennis Murphy says he can, and I don't doubt him.

Both CAOWI and SSI can be ordered with either the CA15 or ER15 woofers. (Jim Salk probably keeps the ER15s in stock and might have to order the CA15s.) They sound very similar, and again I don't think I can tell the difference. My older SongTowers have the CA15s and my newer SongCenter has the ER15s. There is little if any difference I can hear.

What are CAOW2s :confused:? Do you mean the SongSurroundII? It's a 4 ohm MTM speaker with the two woofers wired in parallel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis