Better center channel or rear surround?

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
I presently have a 3.1 setup consisting of Aperion 6T towers, a 5c center, and a Klipsch SW-112 sub. My annual bonus is due to hit Monday and I was looking for ways to improve my HT. I found a guy by me who has a 6c center channel for sale. Alternately, I could get a pair of surround speakers (likely 5b, 4b, or 4bp) to round out the 5.1 setup.

Regarding the 6c. From what I've read, its a noticeable improvement from the 5c, in that both 6.5" woofers are active, as compared to the 5c which has one active and one passive. This is also the direct companion to my towers. For what its worth, I'm currently running my 5C a few db hot to better hear dialog.

For the rears, the issue is mostly mounting as my couch is against the back wall, but has about 3-4' on either side of it. So I would basically be mounting the speakers close to the ceiling pointing downward angled at the seating position. The other question is which speakers to use. I know THX recommends surrounds be able to reach down to 80hz, which only the 5Bs can do, but they are quite large at 12" tall. The 4Bs are shorter at 8.75", but they only reach down to 120hz. (Note: my sub crossover is set at 80hz). The 4BP actually get down to 100hz (-3db), but since the wall is right behind the sofa, I don't know how much benefit I would be getting from them. I'm also open to any other suggestions of surround speakers that may work better. I would like to stay in the same product line, but since they're surround, its not a requirement.

What do you guys think?

Home theater Details: Room is approximately 12' x 20'. The couch and TV are on the 20' sides pushed to the right of the room. The left part of the room (left while facing the TV) is open to the kitchen and hallway). They will be powered by my Pioneer Elite VSX-52. The corner that one of the speakers would be placed in is above a space roughly 3-4' square that has an end table in it.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
You can get the 6c and sell your old 5c and get surrounds? That sub is weakling as well, so one place to upgrade.

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
I would sell the 5c and likely plow the funds into surrounds, depending on how my wife responds.

As for the sub, I got it for $250 and I'm usually stuck watching movies while my toddler sleeps, so as much as I would love a stronger one, I wouldn't be able to use it. Until we move and I get a more dedicated theater room, I don't foresee upgrading.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
From what I've read, its a noticeable improvement from the 5c, in that both 6.5" woofers are active, as compared to the 5c which has one active and one passive.
I don't think so. All Aperion speakers are 100% passive.

The differences are:

The 5C has 4" mid-woofer + dual 5" woofers and the 6C has 5" mid-woofer + dual 6" woofers.

Theoretically the 6C gives you more efficiency and dynamics than the smaller 5C. This may translate into better sound quality.

But in reality, I don't know if the difference is significant enough to notice.

Last edited:
C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
I don't think so. All Aperion speakers are 100% passive.

The differences are:

The 5C has 4" mid-woofer + 5" woofers and the 6C has 5" mid-woofers + 6" woofers.

So the 6C gives you a little more efficiency and dynamics than the smaller 5C. But I don't know if the difference is really significant enough to notice.
Sorry, I meant it has a passive radiator, not that the 6c is an active speaker. I read that all the woofers on the 6c are active, but only one on the 5c is. I don't see that in the description on the Aperion website, so I don't know for sure though.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, I meant it has a passive radiator, not that the 6c is an active speaker. I read that all the woofers on the 6c are active, but only one on the 5c is. I don't see that in the description on the Aperion website, so I don't know for sure though.
You mean an actual Woofer vs Passive Radiator.

I don't see anywhere in the Spec or description that says the 5c has any passive radiator. So I think the 5c has dual 5" Woofers and the 6c has dual 6" Woofers.

None of the woofers are active.

Active usually means either 1) the speaker has built-in amps or 2) the speaker has no internal crossovers (or internal crossovers are bypassed) and the speaker relies on an external crossover that precedes the amplifier.

Last edited:
XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Chicago,
If movie dialogue clarity is at all an issue, then the center channel upgrade will provide much more value than adding surrounds. The previous suggestion of selling the old center to fund surrounds is a good one.

Concerning surrounds, I would strongly lean towards the 5Bs and their lower bass ability. Once mounted on the wall you will hardly notice them after a very short period of time. I have PSB Image B5s (12.5" tall) mounted like you describe and although they felt/looked large on installtion, neither I nor my wife notice them anymore and the sound is solid.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
You mean an actual Woofer vs Passive Radiator.

I don't see anywhere in the Spec or description that says the 5c has any passive radiator. So I think the 5c has dual 5" Woofers and the 6c has dual 6" Woofers.

None of the woofers are active.

Active usually means either 1) the speaker has built-in amps or 2) the speaker has no internal crossovers (or internal crossovers are bypassed) and the speaker relies on an external crossover that precedes the amplifier.
Semantics. I appreciate the linguistic lesson, but it doesn't change the message.

This review from Stereophile says they use a passive radiator on the 5C, which they supposedly confirmed. http://www.soundandvision.com/content/aperion-intimus-5t-db-hybrid-hd-speaker-system

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
Chicago,
If movie dialogue clarity is at all an issue, then the center channel upgrade will provide much more value than adding surrounds. The previous suggestion of selling the old center to fund surrounds is a good one.

Concerning surrounds, I would strongly lean towards the 5Bs and their lower bass ability. Once mounted on the wall you will hardly notice them after a very short period of time. I have PSB Image B5s (12.5" tall) mounted like you describe and although they felt/looked large on installtion, neither I nor my wife notice them anymore and the sound is solid.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver
That's the way I was leaning as well. From what I've read from people who have experienced both the 6C and 5C, the 6C is a notable improvement, but I can't exactly find unbiased sources to confirm that.

I personally would like the 5Bs as well, just wanted confirmation. Thanks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis