Home Theater inside a Caravan.

S

Sime

Enthusiast
Hi Guys, first post here. I live in Canberra Australia, and I've been living in a Caravan I purchased new in 2011. It's got a 19 foot annex with a deck outside and the van is 25 feet long. Despite what a lot of people think, it's a great way to live, and a cheap one at that.

But being that I used to live in a house, I was afraid that I'd miss out on ever having a good audio system again. So after a few different versions of a growing system, this is the setup I ended up with.

Marantz AV 8801 pre/processor
3x Rotel RB -1581 Mono Block power amps (LCR)
Rotel RB-1552 power amp for the rears
Rel T9 Subwoofer
Chord 2Qute DAC
Isotek Gii Sigmas Power Conditioner and a Isotek Polaris power board and a Mini Mira
Cambridge Audio AZUR BD-752 Blu-Ray Player
Bluesound Node 2 Hi-Res Music Server with a Samsung 500gig SSD
Apple TV 4
Apple Airport Express
Sony KDL43w800c 3D Tv
Sony KDL-32w700B

Bowers&Wilkins 805's as mains
Bowers&Wilkins CM Center 2 Center Channel
Bowers&Wilkins CM1's as rears

Van Den Hul, Wire World and Chord Cabling

And here's a video of the setup, filmed with an iPhone so the bottom end is a tad lacking.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I gotta say, you have the B&W's that I want. I bought a new 40ft Montana in 2013 and I am chomping at the bit to remove the junk they call home theater in these things. I'd love to do what you did, maybe not so crazy with the gear but the B&W's, definitely.

By the way, your B&W's sound just like my Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1's!!! (YouTube joke)

Well done, I think your system is fantastic!

This beast has a lot of room for a system in it.

S

Sime

Enthusiast
That's one hell of a big 5th wheeler. I love those big American vans. Mines only a 25 footer, standard caravan.

Have you got anymore pics of the inside?

Give me the inside on that YouTube joke about the Klipsch, I not aware of that one.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
The YouTube joke is when people post a clip of their sound system, when you read the comment section you read hey that sounds great or horrible and the fact is lost on them that it only sounds as good as the speakers they're using hence, your B&W's sound exactly like my Promedia 2.1's. :)

Here is the inside layout, these were on the day we bought it.

The kitchen and pantry, everything is Cherry wood.

Hallway up to the bathroom and bedroom, the cabinets to the left also have a washer and dryer.

This is the bedroom with the slide closed, it opens about 3 feet bigger to the left.

This is the site we have, our little slice of heaven.

These are the "alien" lights on the front of the rig.

S

Sime

Enthusiast
Very nice indeed, do you live in it as a permanent setup?
Do you mind me asking how much you pay for a trailer that size in the US?

This is mine inside

Attachments

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I think yours is very very nice, I like how you set it all up, how do you keep things locked down when moving around?

I paid $66,000 for it, we use it as a summer place. in the winter we pull it out and put it into storage to lower the chances of mice getting in.

S

Sime

Enthusiast
Ah, mine never moved, it's a permanent residence, it sits on stands.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Pssh, caravaners. Clarkson was right.

Kidding. In fact I could see myself living in one if I lived in a more caravan climate friendly place.

S

Sime

Enthusiast
It's not a bad way to live, space is overrated.
I could live in a house if I wanted to, but I don't, simple.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It's not a bad way to live, space is overrated.
I could live in a house if I wanted to, but I don't, simple.
I agree. I live in a 1 bedroom and I don't necessarily want more space. The only excuse I have for wanting a larger room is for better acoustics.

S

Sime

Enthusiast
lol, most of my music space is dampened by a queen size bed. No reflections at all in there. It's probably too much of a dead space.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Very nice set up, and very cool trailer, or caravan @Sime !

And @Klipschhead302 thats cool seeing one of those without the garage/drop down tailgate in the back! A buddy of mine has one and we've done some motorcycle track days with it. It has the space and pullouts of yours, but not all the nice cabinetry!

S

Sime

Enthusiast
Trailer is fine by me, I call myself trailertrash all the time, and it's funny though, I live better than some who live in houses.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Trailer is fine by me, I call myself trailertrash all the time, and it's funny though, I live better than some who live in houses.
I'm sure you do! Trailer should not be used as insult, you have the advantage. Your home has wheels!

S

Sime

Enthusiast
You'll be amazed at the faces some people pull when they hear I live in a caravan, until they come over...........

It's one of those thing, people think the worst when it comes to caravans, and never consider just how good some of them are, especially the 5th wheelers le the one posted above.

S

Sime

Enthusiast
The tiny house movement in the US is massive, and very impressive.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
The tiny house movement in the US is massive, and very impressive.
It seems to be slow to move here in Georgia, due to the incredibly low cost per square foot of housing here. The CASTLES these people live in, my gosh! 4000+ sqft! I don't have the time much less the inclination to clean that!

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Very nice set up, and very cool trailer, or caravan @Sime !

And @Klipschhead302 thats cool seeing one of those without the garage/drop down tailgate in the back! A buddy of mine has one and we've done some motorcycle track days with it. It has the space and pullouts of yours, but not all the nice cabinetry!
It's where I get to try and relax, my days of motorcycle track riding are over but I can still ride my motorcycle for enjoyment. :) The knees and back are gone now... I miss them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis