Starting from scratch for Hi-Fi / Home Theater

vp23271

vp23271

Audiophyte
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am looking to build a hi-fi/home theater setup and I could use some guidance from other forum members. I have had other home theater setups in the past, but I would like my next set up to also play my music at a much cleaner fidelity. I am looking to rebuild my music collection with higher res files and I want a pair of towers that can wow me, but still stay within my budget.

I’ve started to look at reviews and my head is about to explode lol. While I am planning to build a 5.1 HT system, my plan is to first find a pair of towers that I like and select the rest of the speakers from the same manufacturer.

I just started to visit local audio/video stores to listen to different speakers, so I have not chosen a pair yet. My budget for a pair of towers is $3,000 US. What brand/model would you recommend for me to go listen to? Any additional insight into your recommendation would be appreciated. Thx! Rick

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Listen to everything available.

RBH, KEF, PSB, ATC, PCM, NHT, B&W, SVS, Revel, Monitor Audio, etc.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For something with tremendous dynamic range, one speaker I would look at is the Reaction CX-12 with beryllium tweeters. That should be able to get you to THX Reference levels inside a medium size room and sound very nice while doing so. It has a lead time, so it doesn't ship right away, but if you don't like it, you can send it back and they will pay for return shipping. I also like the JBL Studio 590s, but the center speaker for that set looks a bit weak. Another to look at for high fidelity and high dynamic range is the Pi Fours. I would get them with upgraded drivers. Extreme dynamic range, very accurate, and doesn't need a beefy amp at all. If looks are not a big deal, I would look at the JBL LSR6332, extremely accurate, in fact, they are THX pm3 certified, meaning they are certified to create THX sound mixes on. They pack a big punch too.

vp23271

vp23271

Audiophyte
@AcuDefTechGuy and @shadyJ Thx for the suggestions, I'll look into those speakers. I plan to listen to some Elac and KEF speakers in the next couple days. I plan to call the dealers tmrw to see what they have set up for me to listen to. Thx

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
@AcuDefTechGuy and @shadyJ Thx for the suggestions, I'll look into those speakers. I plan to listen to some Elac and KEF speakers in the next couple days. I plan to call the dealers tmrw to see what they have set up for me to listen to. Thx
Bring as many home as you can!

Pick a few well known instrumental/well sung tracks with you for reference! Pay particular attention to how instruments are spread across the 'soundstage', listen for break up during female crescendo's, brass instruments and cymbals should sound natural without excessive 'esses', and bass should be tight and punchy and free from droning bass notes.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Since you’re also interested in home theater, you’ll want a good subwoofer. And that will preclude the necessity for tower speakers, allowing you to get more for your money with a quality bookshelf speaker, or perhaps something as good as the tower (sound quality-wise, not bass extension) for a lower price.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I am partial to GoldenEar, don't know why LOL, but there are a lot of great options out there. I like Rvel, monitor audio, Focal, etc.

Grab the movies and music you listen, google the brands you want to check out and visit some shops. 3k is a good price point and their are a lot of options.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Where are you located? Just curious as to how many or what kinds of places are available to you for going in to listen to some systems. I hope you're not limited to just the local non-Magnolia upgraded Best Buy.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis