N

new10quest

Enthusiast
I am getting Onkyo TX-NR838 and Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Atmos speakers, and this will be my first Atmos surround sound system. I want to convert my existing 5.2 surround sound system with two front height speakers to Atmos system. I am planning to place the SP-T22A-LR speakers on top of the left and right floor standing speakers. Here are my questions-

1. Where do I connect SP-T22A-LR in the rear terminals of TX-NR838?
2. Can I use both SP-T22A-LR and the front height speakers for Atmos?

Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited:
BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
I am getting Onkyo TX-NR838 and Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Atmos speakers, and this will be my first Atmos surround sound system. I want to convert my existing 5.2 surround sound system with two front height speakers to Atmos system. I am planning to place the SP-T22A-LR speakers on top of the left and right floor standing speakers. Here are my questions-

1. Where do I connect SP-T22A-LR in the rear terminals of TX-NR838?
2. Can I use both SP-T22A-LR and the front height speakers for Atmos?

Thank you very much for your help.
Unfortunately it looks like the 838 only allows for a x.x.2 setup, so only two heights or upfiring modules, and they connect to the Front Height / Bi-Amp terminals, so you'll have to choose one.
Front Heights is also an Atmos approved location, so if you choose not to use the modules and go with Front Heights, all's good there. (I'm guessing you have the Front Heights speakers already, your post was a little confusing on that)
If so here's some tips:
Actual Front Heights have been shown to be a much better choice than upfiring modules on top of your Front Speakers. But, you can always try them and then try the upfiring modules on your surrounds to place your overhead effect more to the center of your room (they connect to the same terminals, you just have to switch your AVR settings), just choose what you like best.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I've been avoiding Atmos like the plague, so this question born of ignorance. Is Atmos basically a discrete version of something similar to Yamaha's "Presence" channels?

N

new10quest

Enthusiast
BlwAway- Thanks, and sorry for the confusion on my OP. I have two Klipsch front floor standing speakers, one Klipsch center, two Energy front height speakers, two Energy surround rear speakers and two Polk Audio 12" subwoofers now. Can I connect both the Energy front height and Pioneer Atmos speakers to the same Front Height terminals? If I understand you correctly, I cannot keep the two front height speakers connected to Front Height terminals and connect the Pioneer Atmos speakers to Bi-Amp terminals. It has to be one or the other, right?

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
I've been avoiding Atmos like the plague, so this question born of ignorance. Is Atmos basically a discrete version of something similar to Yamaha's "Presence" channels?
In a basic way yes, the bigger differences are the discreet placement of sounds instead of matrixing like the Yamaha DSP's and PLIIz w/heights, and from what I've found so far, Atmos soundtracks in general seem to have a slightly cleaner sound and some even offer extra LFE content, even in the lower/standard layer of speakers. For me, the greatest thing about Atmos and hopefully DTS-X is the upmixers, the algorithm the use can really bring a standard 5.1, 7.1 or even stereo signal, some great added dimension, I've found myself revisiting many of my old favorite movies just to experience the difference and haven't been disappointed yet.

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
BlwAway- Thanks, and sorry for the confusion on my OP. I have two Klipsch front floor standing speakers, one Klipsch center, two Energy front height speakers, two Energy surround rear speakers and two Polk Audio 12" subwoofers now. Can I connect both the Energy front height and Pioneer Atmos speakers to the same Front Height terminals? If I understand you correctly, I cannot keep the two front height speakers connected to Front Height terminals and connect the Pioneer Atmos speakers to Bi-Amp terminals. It has to be one or the other, right?
Correct, from what I saw when looking up the manual on your AVR, it's one or the other, your AVR only supports a single overhead selection, so you'll only be able to do 5.2.2 in some fashion.
But like I said, try and experiment with different options, esp. with the upfiring modules being one of the choices, all of this can be very room dependant.

N

new10quest

Enthusiast
Thank you very much for helping out Atmos newbie. Your information is very valuable to me. Here is what I will try after I received NR838 and SP-T22A-LR next week-

1. Try the 7.2 speakers As Is, and one pair being front height speakers
2. Try the 5.2.2 speakers, and using existing front height speakers as x.x.2
3. Try the 5.2.2 speakers, and using SP-T22A-LR upfiring speakers as x.x.2
4. Try the 5.2.4 speakers, and using SP-T22A-LR and existing front height speakers as x.x.4 (but connect all 4 speakers to the same Front Height terminals)
5. If there is any other suggestion, please feel free to post it

Dolby Atmos option will be selected in NR838 instead of Front Height. Hopefully, my first experience with Dolby Atmos will be a good one. Is there any good Atmos Blu-ray for these experiments?

Last edited:
BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
Thank you very much for helping out Atmos newbie. Your information is very valuable to me. Here is what I will try after I received NR838 and SP-T22A-LR next week-

1. Try the 7.2 speakers As Is, and one pair being front height speakers
2. Try the 5.2.2 speakers, and using existing front height speakers as x.x.2
3. Try the 5.2.2 speakers, and using SP-T22A-LR upfiring speakers as x.x.2
4. Try the 5.2.4 speakers, and using SP-T22A-LR and existing front height speakers as x.x.4 (but connect all 4 speakers to the same Front Height terminals)
5. If there is any other suggestion, please feel free to post it

Dolby Atmos option will be selected in NR838 instead of Front Height. Hopefully, my first experience with Dolby Atmos will be a good one. Is there any good Atmos Blu-ray for these experiments?

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
No. 4 should not work at all, there is a different algorithm at work between Front Height and Atmos Enabled for the speakers, this is also where you'll need to reset your AVR.
For No. 1 & 2, your speaker selection in the setup will be the same: Front Heights
For No. 3 it will be "Atmos Enabled" "Fronts"

As far as content, "Mad Max: Fury Road" and " John Wick" come to mind as some of the best right now for overhead effect, and personally (while panned as a film by some) I though "The Man From U.N.C.L.E. had a great overall soundtrack. (Played it in Atmos and DD, and the Atmos soundtrack was far superior overall)
Plus, don't forget to pull out some of your favorite overall movies and try them with DSU. (DSU and Atmos are the same setting on your AVR, "Dolby Surround")

N

new10quest

Enthusiast
I was thinking of trying the Front Height speakers with Atmos enabled front on #2. I was thinking of connecting the upfiring and Front Height speakers to the same Front Height terminals with Atmos enabled front on #4. Are you saying the two ideas above are not going to work and don't waste time on it?

I watched Mad Max on the 7.2 using NR809 A/Valenzuela receiver, and it was very good. Unfortunately, the NR809 is dead. I am replacing it with NR838 to try the Atmos option. I have not watch U.N.C.L.E, and I will try it. Does anyone know Red Box Blu-ray has Atmos audio format? I usually rent the movies there...

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
I was thinking of trying the Front Height speakers with Atmos enabled front on #2. I was thinking of connecting the upfiring and Front Height speakers to the same Front Height terminals with Atmos enabled front on #4. Are you saying the two ideas above are not going to work and don't waste time on it?

I watched Mad Max on the 7.2 using NR809 A/Valenzuela receiver, and it was very good. Unfortunately, the NR809 is dead. I am replacing it with NR838 to try the Atmos option. I have not watch U.N.C.L.E, and I will try it. Does anyone know Red Box Blu-ray has Atmos audio format? I usually rent the movies there...
I think there may be a confusion in terminology, but at the same time I also realised I made a mistake, so let me try and correct but also explain.
From scratch:
(Ist my mistake, I completely forgot this)
No. 1 will no longer work with an Atmos receiver, DSU (the Atmos upmixer) replaced PLIIz w/ heights, it's no longer an option you can choose and won't even appear on the menu, so using Front Height Speakers will give you a 5.2.2.w/ Front Heights no matter what. (Essentially turning it into your No. 2 option) and your AVR speaker location setting will be "Front Heights".

No.3 will work as listed, use the SP-T22A-LR module's and set your AVR speaker setting to "Atmos Enabled".

No. 4 besides the having to deal with wiring because of load by running 4 speakers off the same 2 channels, No. 4 will not work because of the AVR settings, the Front Height "setting" and the Atmos Enabled "setting" for your speaker locations, tells the AVR to use a completely different algorithm when calculating the sound that will be playing out of the associated speaker. So if you tried this, no matter what your setting, one pair of speakers will be getting an inaccurate signal.

So in essence you'll have to choose between using Front Heights or the SP-T22A-LR module's, you won't be able to use both with the 838, you'll just have to choose what you like the sound of best.

As far as discs, I have heard that rentals with Atmos can be studio specific, and some titles released in Atmos will not have the Atmos soundtrack on the "rental" version, you'll have to do some research to find out which. And as for Mad Max, re-watching.it in Atmos will be a completely different experience than in 7.2 w/ heights. (As a test I even tried listening to it with the Upmixer instead of true Atmos, and the upmixer didn't compare).

Hope I straightened things out.

N

new10quest

Enthusiast
Thanks. I guess that my only two choices are #2 and #3. If I go with the new upfiring speakers in #3, the existing Front Height speakers in #2 will be idled. Do you think that it can be combined with the two floor standing speakers with Bi-Amp option? I hate to see two good speakers hanging on the ceiling for nothing...

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
Thanks. I guess that my only two choices are #2 and #3. If I go with the new upfiring speakers in #3, the existing Front Height speakers in #2 will be idled. Do you think that it can be combined with the two floor standing speakers with Bi-Amp option? I hate to see two good speakers hanging on the ceiling for nothing...
Honestly, if you don't have the SP-T22A-LR's yet, I'd hold off on them, as I stated earlier most people who have compared Front Heights to Front Upfiring have picked Front Heights, most people have found that Upfiring have only been truly effective in prefect room setups, whereas Front Heights are far more flexible and work in more rooms.

If I read the literature properly you're restricted to 7 channels total, no matter the combination, so you'll have to just decide between the two.

N

new10quest

Enthusiast
I will try the upfiring speakers and Front Height speakers. I will keep the pair that sounds the best in my theater room. I will let you know next weekend...

N

new10quest

Enthusiast
I decided to keep the Upward-Firing Atmos speakers. It seems to pick up more sound effects from it than the Front Height speakers..

Attachments

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
Great, as long as you're happy and the upfiring modules seem to work in your room, that's all that matters.
Have fun with it, seems like the more I listen and the newer the releases, the more I'm enjoying the format. The new Goosebumps movie has a great Atmos mix, freaked my dogs out more than a couple of times.

N

new10quest

Enthusiast
I watched Everest with Atmos, and the soundstage was great. I can hear sound effects from the wind constantly blowing around the entire soundstage to the footsteps crunching snow to the ice creaking and cracking. I am planning to watch John Wick, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation, San Andreas, etc with Atmos...

C

Colin D

Audiophyte
Can you mount atmos add on speakers lower than your sound speakers

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis