Aperion Verus vs SVS

D

DoK

Audiophyte
I'm trying to decide on an upgrade for my towers and center channel in my existing home theater system, and I'm struggling to pin down the manufacturer that will get my money. Help!

My current equipment:

Marantz SR7002 receiver (110 wpc)
SVS PB2000 subwoofers (two of them)
JBL Studio Series S310 towers
JBL Studio Series S-Center
JBL Studio Series S36 surrounds (not changing these).

Room dimensions: 22' L x 22' W x 8' H. There is no carpet.

My current towers give me everything I want for hard rock, but they don't produce the sound quality I'm after for jazz tracks (Diana Krall & Norah Jones). The S sounds are grating in female vocals.

My center channel speaker doesn't quite have the "presence," for lack of a better term, that I think it should; its sound just isn't full enough.

I like to play loud when watching action movies.

I'm considering the Aperion Verus Grand towers and center channel against the SVS Prime towers and SVS Ultra center channel. I know, these aren't even in the same league. I'm wondering if it may be a case of diminishing returns going with the Aperion option over the SVS, though. I'm also wondering if the 6 ohm impedance on the Verus speakers will be too much for my receiver to handle when playing at loud volumes, however they are more sensitive than the SVS options, so maybe it's a wash?

Any thoughts?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I'm also wondering if the 6 ohm impedance on the Verus speakers will be too much for my receiver to handle when playing at loud volumes
I haven't heard the SVS, but do have 4 Verus Grand Towers and Center. I don't think you'll have a bit of trouble getting all the volume you want w/ your Marantz. I was very happy w/ my speakers, but got the upgrade bug. Upgraded the Fronts and Center, and moved the Grand Towers to side and rear surround duty.

It was not because I had a problem w/ the Aperions. Just had some extra cash and wanted to try something better, (ie more expensive). I think you would be happy w/ the Aperions, and would have no trouble driving them.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Don't Aperion and SVS both have free returns including return shipping?
The best answer is to get both in your home and spend a few days listening.
While the differences between amps, BD Players, etc. are subtle; speakers clearly sound different! Speaker selection is arguably the most important decision you will make when deciding your system.
Don't short change this decision! Take advantage of their policies.
If you feel it abusive to buy knowing you will return, just tell them what you plan to do up front and see how happy both companies are to ship to you!

As for info on the speakers, all I can offer is that Norah Jones sounds delightful on a pair of Ultra bookshelf speakers.
Never heard Aperion.

Last edited:
ManBarra

ManBarra

Enthusiast
Honestly I've never heard SVS but would really like to. I have heard the Aperion speakers though and female vocals sound pretty amazing.

P

prk504

Audioholic Intern
I got the verus grand 2 speakers a month ago and they sound great. It's a big step up from the verus grand one series. The highs are brighter and the mids are clearer. The speakers sound bigger if that makes any sense. I haven't heard svs but I picked these over the B&w cm9 series and am happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis