Front Tower Speakers Close Together

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
If front tower speakers must be placed only 4'6" apart from each other (<1' of each end of a 46" HDTV) is there any way to compensate for such short seperation?​

Last edited:
Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
Unfortunately no. Here is an image. Maybe it will help you advise me. Thanks for your assistance.
image.jpeg

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When they are too close together, you can try them facing straight out (no toe). In the pic, it looks like they are slightly toed in. Experiment with placement and width as just a few inches and degrees of toe can make a very big difference at the listening position. Different speakers image differently as well as every room's acoustics are different, so it is tough to make a real recommendation without hearing the setup.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Mine are just about a foot further apart than yours for similar reasons and I have them pointed straight ahead, perhaps even a couple degrees toe out (imperceptible amount if at all.) I still get pretty good stereo imaging *IF* I move to a spot a little closer and toward center a bit more. The effect is comprised a bit with my normal listening position, but still pretty darn good. You'll be OK with straight ahead.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
Mine are just about a foot further apart than yours for similar reasons and I have them pointed straight ahead, perhaps even a couple degrees toe out (imperceptible amount if at all.) I still get pretty good stereo imaging *IF* I move to a spot a little closer and toward center a bit more. The effect is comprised a bit with my normal listening position, but still pretty darn good. You'll be OK with straight ahead.
Thanks

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Judging from the image, it looks to me like you have problems way worse than the speakers being too close, namely that the seating is off to the side and not centered. Forty-five-degree arrangements seldom work well because people aren’t willing to follow through and re-arrange the furniture at 45° as well.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
Judging from the image, it looks to me like you have problems way worse than the speakers being too close, namely that the seating is off to the side and not centered. Forty-five-degree arrangements seldom work well because people aren’t willing to follow through and re-arrange the furniture at 45° as well.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
The brown leather recliner is not the primary seating position. I and my recliner are directly in line with the AV. Mr. Pflughaupt the room is a livingroom not a dedicated AV room. Willingness to re-arrange the furniture has nothing to do with the situation.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

“Judging from the image” means exactly that.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Do you have buy in from the SO to move stuff around in the living room? That's almost always harder then to to try and find a better position for the system.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
Hello 3db, unless the earth shifts poles it's no. What is your opinion of the speakers being toe in to intersect at my seating position. Another, I recently read an article in which it was recommended the front be position somewhat ahead of the screen. What about that?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello 3db, unless the earth shifts poles it's no. What is your opinion of the speakers being toe in to intersect at my seating position. Another, I recently read an article in which it was recommended the front be position somewhat ahead of the screen. What about that?
I would experiment with the positioning to see what sounds best to you. I do agree that the front speakers sit slightly ahead of the screen so that the screen doesn't interfere with the sound stage presented by the speakers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, the speakers ideally should be slightly in front of the screen, but speakers image spherically, so the screen in the center will always have an effect. My setup is the same - we do what we can with what we have and try to minimize as many of the aspects like this that can't really be helped. Trade-offs :)

My mains image so far out that I need to sit farther away from them than I do, but then I'd have my couch in my dining area lol. All my other speakers like various amounts of toe-in, but this speaker tends to like being almost straight forward. I noticed it with the demo pair I had and these ones are pretty similar.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I've arranged speakers similarly to that with good results. It's far from ideal, but much better than nothing at all. If the arrangement cannot be changed for numerous reasons (wife, general layout of room, seating requirements, etc...) it's best not to worry about it too much.

BTW, nice Infinity Alphas. :)

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
My Alphas have served me long and well. An update. I've not mentioned the surrounds because they are in really weird positions. Now that the fronts, center and sub are finally performing the best they can I've changed from 5.1 to 3.1. The overall sound is soo much cleaner for all seating positions, especially mine(primary).

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
Seems the work is done. You folks have been so helpful and tolerate of this old fart. I can't thank you enough.

Stay Cool & Peace

S

Sky1

Audioholic Intern
I have a similar problem and added front heights PLIIz and instead of putting them directly over my left and right since they are close to the ceiling I was able to move them a couple feet further out to the sides. When I play movies it drastically expanded my height and width of the "stage".

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis