Deciding on Atmos and Auro-3D

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
With the purchase of a Marantz SR7009 I have the ability to add Atmos speakers and if I go nuts with Auro-3D the "God" channel and other height speakers.

Klipsch offers their RP-140SA's which would sit on top of the RF-82's, I could then use RP-160M's for height and the God channel and use another pair of RS-52's for height in the back.

I must be insane to contemplate this, the room is ony 15x15 square, I am crazy for thinking about the RP-160's? Maybe I should just go Atmos speakers and be done with it....

I have the following speakers in the HT at this time:
Klipsch
RF-82 mains
RC-64 center
RS-52 rear's plus one in the middle configured as a middle surround, this was an option in the SR5003

SUBS
Dual MFW15's (soon to be upgraded with Seaton Sound amps and drivers)

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Depending on what country you are in, Auro-3D, may or may not be an option. In the USA you will find 0 movies that support the format native. Not much better with Dolby Atmos, about 20-30 movies at present, but that is growing. With the 7009 you will be able to do 5.2.4 or 7.2.2. for Atmos you want two or four ceiling speakers.

Golden Ear has a page dedicated to setup for Atmos.

http://www.goldenear.com/support/atmos-systems

If I am not mistaken the Auro-3D is also a paid upgrade where Atmos is included with the receiver

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Depending on what country you are in, Auro-3D, may or may not be an option. In the USA you will find 0 movies that support the format native. Not much better with Dolby Atmos, about 20-30 movies at present, but that is growing. With the 7009 you will be able to do 5.2.4 or 7.2.2. for Atmos you want two or four ceiling speakers.

Golden Ear has a page dedicated to setup for Atmos.

http://www.goldenear.com/support/atmos-systems

If I am not mistaken the Auro-3D is also a paid upgrade where Atmos is included with the receiver
Yeah, the upgrade to Auro-3D is $199.00, definately not going that route any time soon. I'm going to hold off on the Atmos side as well for now I'll check out the website you linked.

Thanks! :)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I'm going to hold off on the Atmos side as well for now I'll check out the website you linked.
Probably for the best as things shake out further. One point that has been mentioned by some is that Atmos releases will be more forthcoming with the new UHD Blu-ray format. From the perspective of the studios, it would make some sense to tie new audio and video formats together. Whether that means regular BD's get the shaft or not, only time will tell. If so, you'd have to spring for new HDCP 2.2 compliant equipment in order to get the Atmos version of a soundtrack.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Probably for the best as things shake out further. One point that has been mentioned by some is that Atmos releases will be more forthcoming with the new UHD Blu-ray format. From the perspective of the studios, it would make some sense to tie new audio and video formats together. Whether that means regular BD's get the shaft or not, only time will tell. If so, you'd have to spring for new HDCP 2.2 compliant equipment in order to get the Atmos version of a soundtrack.
You're right, the SR7009 isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant and my TV isn't UHD either... dagnabit... well, I have 60 days to return the SR7009. I wonder what the odds are that the SR7010 will be steeply discounted in that time. :confused:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis