Would a matched pair of center speakers be good for stereo music?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
… high-power-stealth bypass connection…
It took me a few minutes to get what's in the photo :D.

I don't know where these speakers are made, but I'm getting a strong feeling that the publicity photos were made in a land where people have never heard of Quality Control.

At least they're not wired out of phase.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Unlike this setup I came across on Amazon? I think it is called the high-power-stealth bypass connection as it allows the power from the amp to flow quite freely whilst the speakers make nary a peep.
What? I'm real glad that Swerd caught it, but I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing (or not seeing).

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The existence of two pairs of binding posts on the IL10 speakers indicates to me that Infinity marketed these speakers as "premium" models rather than bottom-of-the-line speakers.

That indirectly suggests that the overall sound quality of these speakers might be good.
When I got these I compared them to everything else that Circuit City carried at that time. I also had listened to some Paradigm Monitors and Studio series speakers. Now I was only 16 years old at the time so I couldn't afford much (actually couldn't afford anything, these were a gift to me and a great surprise). I've since owned a pair of Paradigm Studio 20 v1 speakers and ended up preferring the IL10s to the Paradigms (bias?).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What? I'm real glad that Swerd caught it, but I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing (or not seeing).
Because of the camera angle, it looks like both wires are piggy-backed on the Black terminal. After re-inspection, I realized the right wire was connected to the lower Red plug; but I thought it was on the upper part of the left terminal. Most banana plugs allow you to plug a second into the back of the first and this kind of looks like that.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Just curious at this point, but do some 3-way speakers allow for tri-amping?
I've never seen it, but I haven't spent much time looking at 3-ways.
The old-ish Monitor Audio Gold GR60 towers did (this was the model before the GS60, which was before the GX300, which is now the Gold 300).

Also some of the previous KEF Reference series speakers did.

The new PSB Imagine T3 does as well.

G

GeneC

Junior Audioholic
A little late to the party but guess what...I just bought two IL36's off ebay in the last two weeks. Bid on two hoping to get just one. Got them both (I can't seem to do anything right :confused: ). I set them up vertically and think they sound fine but I miss the rear ports. Might add a couple. Voices are pitched a little higher up thanks to that 4" mid. I've thought about putting the drivers/tweeters/crossovers in PE knock-down tower cabinets. But don't hold your breath...or anything else. I'm currently using IL30's and an IL25 (underrated) in another room. Bought the three off CL last year for $100 :p . With considerable tweaking of my avr's eq they make me 93.625% as happy as the $1700 Vera's. Looking for a pair of 10's or preferrably IL40's, to try and push that number up to 96.125% (but that's just an educated guess :) ).

In the IL30, I think the crossover might be too low. I wonder how a 3500 or even 4000hz would sound? I think the 6" driver can play that high (but how would I know :rolleyes: ) .

I also have three MB Quart Vera centers with two of them set up as L/R of course. They sound better then the Vera 05 bookshelves I also have, IMO of course. Much deeper bass. In the past I tried using two Beta C250's as fronts but didn't care for the results.

Swan towers (6.1's/5.1's) had tripple binding post. Must have invested in speaker wire manufactures :D .

As I recall, many of the center channel speakers I've looked at use a different crossover point then their matching bookshelf partners.

The IL10 and IL30 both use 2800 hz, the IL40 2500hz
http://d2stobyut4u5rx.cloudfront.net/ImageBank/v20030519131500/Manuals/108/108IL10B.PDF

25C/36C manual...

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/76904/Infinity-Interlude-Il-25c-36c-Om-Il25c.html?page=4#manual

I've on and off thought about trying to pick up a pair of Infinity IL36c center speakers and attempting to use them as a stereo left and right speaker pair. It's my understanding that the addition of the midrange relieves a lot of stress off the tweeter allowing it to do what it does best and tasking the upper midrange to a more appropriate driver.

What kind of stereo image could I expect with such a pairing?

Right now I have a pair of IL10s (same series) but they don't have a midrange and only have one 6.5" mid-bass driver. Now the IL10 is a ported speaker, but I used some high density poly foam to seal the ports as I prefer the more taught and less pronounced bass response. I've had these speakers for almost 15 years and I plan to keep them as long as possible, I really love them. I'm just wondering if I would love the IL36c as a pair.

EDIT:

Specifications for both speakers.

IL10

• sculpted, 1-1/2"-thick, anti-resonant front baffle design
  • video-shielded
  • frequency response 56-22,000 Hz (±3dB)
  • 8-ohm impedance
  • sensitivity 88 dB
  • handles up to 150 watts
  • onyx anigre vinyl finish, with platinum grilles
  • 15-5/8"H x 8-1/2"W x 11-1/2"D
  • warranty: 5 years

IL36c

• video-shielded
  • acoustic suspension enclosure
  • frequency response 55-22,000 Hz (±3dB)
  • 8-ohm impedance
  • sensitivity 91 dB
  • handles up to 175 watts
  • vinyl finish
  • 23-1/16"W x 9-1/16"H x 13-1/2"D
  • warranty: 5 years

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers