5. Confirm Media settings
6. Listen

Some constants where as follows:
1. Sound set at a level of 45

Blu-ray media used as follows:
1. Led Zeppelin Celebration Day - Music
2. The Tree of Life - Dialog
3. Star Trek 2009 - Action

I am going to break this up into multiple posts because there is simply too much to comment on in one post.

The first thing I would like to talk about is the fundamental differences between surround and stereo.

Surround sound is immersive while stereo sound is not.

Surround sound tries to make you a participant in a presentation by using techniques such as sound pressure and sound direction. Sound quality is not necessarily the main objective.

The key word in stereo sound is "audience"...usually a critical one searching for a highly stylized presentation where sound quality is usually very important. For some reason (maybe because humans actually hear in stereo) stereo sound lends itself well to this type of presentation.

I have already concluded that both types of systems have trade offs.

You simply can't make a $600 surround setup sound as good as a $600 set of stereo speakers.

The corollary being that you simply can't make a set of stereo speakers put you in the middle of a presentation.

Attachments

P

pjviitas

Audioholic Intern
Comments on comparison between a Polk RM6750 surround setup ($600CAD) and a pair of Energy Connoisseur CF-30 ($800CAD) while watching Led Zeppelin Celebration Day Blu-ray.

-AVR set for Music | Concert Hall
-Media set for 5.1 for RM6750 setup
-Media set for PCM for CR-30's

The one was easy...no comparison between the surround system and the stereo speakers.

The surround system was muddy...the stereo speakers provided great audio detail.

Here is presentation where everyone (including the people watching it live) knows they are a member of an audience...stereo really shines through here.

After watching this I am not so sure I am sold on the centre channel of the surround system...it seemed to create audio confusion. Not something I got from the stereo speakers.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Keep in mind that when you use a DSP such as "concert Hall", it kerfutzes with the signal. For a VALID comparison, make sure you use the same options for each trial.

Personally, to test the quality of a pair of speakers, I prefer to use he plain vanilla two channel stereo mode with no DSP.

most music is two channel and, IMNSHO, should be played back as such. And, if the source is multi-channel, then I'll go with the corresponding setting. Again, using a DSP invalidates any true comparison between the two systems. You're listening to that, not through it.

P

pjviitas

Audioholic Intern
Comments on comparison between a Polk RM6750 surround setup ($600CAD) and a pair of Energy Connoisseur CF-30 ($800CAD) while watching The Tree of Life Blu-ray.

-AVR set for Movie | Cinema Studio EX A
-Media set for 5.1

The first thing that bothered me about this comparison was the media...no 2 channel.

The surround system came into play a little more here...being face to face during the dialog seemed more desirable than in a concert however, again...the sound quality of the surround system was too muddy detracting from the overall experience.

The stereo speakers simply make the dialog pop much nicer than the surround system.

If someone wants to connect emotionally with the characters in the movie then a surround system is for you however I think most viewers would fall back to being involved in more of a theatrical presentation.

I think that most dramas lend themselves to being presented in a play-house thus a set of stereo speakers probably still works well.

P

pjviitas

Audioholic Intern
Keep in mind that when you use a DSP such as "concert Hall", it kerfutzes with the signal. For a VALID comparison, make sure you use the same options for each trial.

Personally, to test the quality of a pair of speakers, I prefer to use he plain vanilla two channel stereo mode with no DSP.

most music is two channel and, IMNSHO, should be played back as such. And, if the source is multi-channel, then I'll go with the corresponding setting. Again, using a DSP invalidates any true comparison between the two systems. You're listening to that, not through it.
Fair enough...however I am trying to compare "audio systems".

I have already listened to both systems in 2 channel mode and the Energy speakers blow away the little Polk bookshelves in the surround system.

P

pjviitas

Audioholic Intern
Comments on comparison between a Polk RM6750 surround setup ($600CAD) and a pair of Energy Connoisseur CF-30 ($800CAD) while watching Star Trek 2009.

-AVR set for Movie | Cinema Studio EX B
-Media set for 5.1

Again, no option for 2.1

The one word I can use to describe this comparison is torn.

The one word I can use to describe the viewers preferred experience is escapism.

There are moments in this movie where stereo shines though during the drama sequences and there are moments where the sound pressure and sound direction of the surround system "pump-up" the viewer experience in a way that the stereo speakers just can't do.

I could live with a stereo system for these types of movies but I would prefer a surround system.

P

pjviitas

Audioholic Intern
As a final post regarding this matter I think this just confirms what zillions of other audiophiles have been stating all along concerning audio...start out with the best set of stereo speakers you can afford.

I apologize if this has been boring or obvious for some people...guess I just had to figure it out for myself.

Hopefully it provides some value to other newbs out there.

With that being said, I am thinking the progression would be something like this:
Small room
1. 2.0
2. 2.1
3. 4.1

I don't think a centre is required for rooms where the left and right are close together and depending what your watching is actually undesirable.

Large room
1. 2.0
2. 2.1
3. 3.1
4. 5.1
5. 7.1

Just remember that the 2.0 system you purchase is going to set the tone for the rest of your system.

Thanks for everyone following this thread...its been fun.

Just to give you some background on my life experience I was a motion picture machine operator for 15 years. In addition I did stage work ranging from plays to rock acts for at least that long. I was just a grunt but have installed (but not set-up) and taken down more speakers and audio boards than I care to remember.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis