Upgrading Surrounds Axiom vs Definitive

U

USMCGRUNT

Enthusiast
I currently have ProMonitor 800's as my rear surrounds and looking to upgrade. I am limited in as space to where I have to keep them which is why I think I need something more bi/omnipolar.

I will enclose a photo. My main seating position is where the dog is. The room is part of an open concept with the rest of the downstairs. This room itself is 11W x 17L x 8H, and approximately 12ft from the TV.

I was looking at:

Axiom QS4 http://www.axiomaudio.com/qs4-surround-sound-speakers These have really good mounts which I like and can keep them at the same location.

Definitive SR-8040BP http://www.definitivetech.com/products/sr-8040bp I really like the company, I just wish they had a mount instead of a keyhole for these.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

IMG_6605.JPG

U

USMCGRUNT

Enthusiast
Thank you for the suggestions. I am an amateur, but my thought process for the Axiom was because of their locations and the down-firing. I can move the right side out from the wall 12 inches, but that is pretty much all I got.

My others are:

- Denon AVR-X4000

- Infinity P-363's (2)

- Infinity C351

- Definitive Pro Monitor 800 (rear surrounds) *Upgrading

- Rythmik FV15HP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why are you looking to upgrade your surrounds? What's wrong with your current surrounds?

U

USMCGRUNT

Enthusiast
Nothing at all is wrong with them. I think they are great speakers and have had nothing but positive reviews with DefTech. I was just looking to get a little more sound to the back couch position. I feel as if the direction of the 800's are shooting toward the center of the room and I'm missing most of the surround as the rear couch is my regular seat.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nothing at all is wrong with them. I think they are great speakers and have had nothing but positive reviews with DefTech. I was just looking to get a little more sound to the back couch position. I feel as if the direction of the 800's are shooting toward the center of the room and I'm missing most of the surround as the rear couch is my regular seat.

Just move the surround speakers to the rear and point them towards the front of the room. That way the surround sound wave will hit the rear and middle of the room.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

I agree with ADTG. Try to reposition the existing surrounds for optimal sound BEFORE you go spending more $. What happens when you install your new surrounds and find that you are in the exact same situation as before? Then, you will be repositioning the surrounds anyway.

U

USMCGRUNT

Enthusiast
Just move the surround speakers to the rear and point them towards the front of the room. That way the surround sound wave will hit the rear and middle of the room.
I would have loved to position them behind me. I got away with two towers, a center, a large flat screen, and a 15 inch Rythmik sub as a coffee table in our living room. I didn't have much weight behind me when I was told that I had to keep the rear surrounds where they were for esthetics.

I have a little lead way with moving the right surround out about 12 inches from the wall, but I'm stuck on the left one. This is why I figured something more bipole or omnipole would fire the surround in a couple/few directions.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I would have loved to position them behind me. I got away with two towers, a center, a large flat screen, and a 15 inch Rythmik sub as a coffee table in our living room. I didn't have much weight behind me when I was told that I had to keep the rear surrounds where they were for esthetics.

I have a little lead way with moving the right surround out about 12 inches from the wall, but I'm stuck on the left one. This is why I figured something more bipole or omnipole would fire the surround in a couple/few directions.

Leave them where they are, but point them towards your ears, as best as you can. That might get you where you want to be for free! Maybe shove the couch closer to the TV by a foot or so too.

J

jotham

Audioholic
I have 4 Axiom QS-8s in my main HT room and a pair of DT AW 6500 outdoor speakers. I like both of them a lot for different reasons.

Since a large part of your constraints are around aesthetics, I have to say the QS-4s will get expensive quickly. The default vinyl colors for a QS are black and boston cherry, if you want a nice white, it will cost. Also, the real versatility of the QS speakers kicks in when you buy their matching Full Metal brackets. Those give a lot of positioning flexibility but also cost.

The QS's, in my opinion, have a more diffuse sound. They might work well in your situation but they certainly aren't pinpoint sources like your existing speakers are. The QS's are also probably capable of a lot more output then your existing speakers but it doesn't seem like you are looking for that.

Personally, rather than spend $700+ on the Axioms, I would echo what everyone is saying and reposition the existing speakers. I believe your speakers are roughly 3 lbs each and have a tripod mount so if you went with a speaker mount like the one I'm referencing, you could fine tune the positioning to give you a more direct experience.

Good luck!
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-smb-s1w-swivel-speaker-mounting-bracket-white--300-248

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis