Difficulty hearing vocals

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Don't you find movies are the issues, TV shows seem much better.
I don't set my center up 3 db but hear the dialog fine as long as the overall level is not too high. However I think the problem is that movies are mixed at too high an spl. in the mixing studio. Also talking to people who have heard those rigs in Hollywood, the speakers are not very good. In fact they are rather nasty shouty rigs according to sources I trust.

Movies mixed in the UK using much better monitors are far better on the whole.

On the other hand TV studios tend to mix with speakers much more similar to domestic speaker systems.

Really good speakers are essential to get a well balanced mix. You just can not help mixing to the speakers you are using.

I have one question for the OP though. Do you have trouble hearing natural conversational speech talking to family and friends? If no the answer is a speaker problem.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
TLS, yes I have difficulty hearing natural speech. I'm being fitted with newer gen hearing aids today. I have primarily high frequency loss die to weapons fire. I'm a 20 year career vet and have been retired 20 years. I'm now 62.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't you find movies are the issues, TV shows seem much better.
There is one show that my wife and I watch called "Coast" from the TV speakers. Problem with that one show is that the music is recorded at higher levels than the dialog so we (wife and I ) can't hear the dialog clearly until we run it through the 5.1 system. Dolby Pro Logic does an admirable job keeping the music to the front mains and the dialog to the center channel.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

TLS, yes I have difficulty hearing natural speech. I'm being fitted with newer gen hearing aids today. I have primarily high frequency loss die to weapons fire. I'm a 20 year career vet and have been retired 20 years. I'm now 62.
That us unfortunate as it means the turnover frequency of your high frequency hearing loss must be at least 1500 Hz or lower. Speech discrimination declines rapidly as the turnover frequency falls below 1500 Hz.

If a patient is having trouble hearing normal conversational speech, then you know the turnover frequency is at or below that point. So the question you need to ask the audiologist or ENT physician is the turnover frequency on your audiogram.

Last edited:
Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
NEW QUESTION
After working with my wife we have agreed upon a volume that is acceptable to both of us. Even though I like louder volume I must concede it is acceptable. Now obviously there may be times when both of us agree the volume should be higher. My wife patiently and secretively endured excess volume when the speaker setup was incorrect and my previous hearing aids were failing. Btw, my new hearing aids incoming volume can be adjusted via provided remote control. So far elevating the volume yield little change.

In theory, if I listen to the agreed upon volume consistently will I become accustom to that acceptable lower level?

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
NEW QUESTION
After working with my wife we have agreed upon a volume that is acceptable to both of us. Even though I like louder volume I must concede it is acceptable. Now obviously there may be times when both of us agree the volume should be higher. My wife patiently and secretively endured excess volume when the speaker setup was incorrect and my previous hearing aids were failing. Btw, my new hearing aids incoming volume can be adjusted via provided remote control. So far elevating the volume yield little change.

In theory, if I listen to the agreed upon volume consistently will I become accustom to that acceptable lower level?
Did you have one of those super high end hifi hearing aids? They are expensive for sure.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
TV Link 2–Stream TV Sound Straight to Your Hearing Aids

Entertainment at Your Own Personal Volume
Beltone TV Link 2 is the first direct-to-ear way to watch TV. It wirelessly streams high-quality stereo sound from your television to your hearing aids–using 2.4 GHz technology. TV Link 2 steams sound from other audio sources as well, including home stereos and PCs.

No need for a relay device or neck-loop. Enjoy the freedom to move about the room as you please.

TV Link 2 gives you lots of listening options. Adjust the TV volume to the level right for you, without changing what other hear. Easily hear the sound you want, even when other people are talking nearby. You can even eliminate “background” room noise, if you wish.

Beltone Direct TV Link 2

• More digital connections allow Beltone TV Link 2 to connect to almost any television, including the newest models
  • Dolby® Digital conversion helps ensure Beltone TV Link 2 is compatible with any type of audio signal from the TV
  • Delay adjustment function can help synchronize audio and video for the best TV viewing experience

"The transmitter is approximately $225. I do not have any other specifications."

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
$35!
Just get a pair of these for your wife and rock on!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I seriously think headphones with good EQ that allows you to adjust for your hearing might be a much better option.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
A good idea with one major flaw. I will not be able to communicate with others. Thanks for your reply.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
That us unfortunate as it means the turnover frequency of your high frequency hearing loss must be at least 1500 Hz or lower. Speech discrimination declines rapidly as the turnover frequency falls below 1500 Hz.

If a patient is having trouble hearing normal conversational speech, then you know the turnover frequency is at or below that point. So the question you need to ask the audiologist or ENT physician is the turnover frequency on your audiogram.
My hearing aids maximum capacity is 7800 HZ. TLS, could you please further explain "turnover frequency on my audiogram"? I do not believe I am not asking my hearing aid person the proper question.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

My hearing aids maximum capacity is 7800 HZ. TLS, could you please further explain "turnover frequency on my audiogram"? I do not believe I am not asking my hearing aid person the proper question.
Noise damage to hearing like you describe, is called sensineural hearing loss. The is a fairly abrupt region in the frequency spectrum where the hearing declines.

In the above audiogram the turnover frequency is 2250 Hz. This patient would be mildly deaf and still have quite good speech discrimination.

This patient's turnover frequency is 1500 Hz. This patient would have quite symptomatic hearing loss and would have difficulty understanding conversational speech. Hearing aids are likely to be helpful. This is where patient's most often present for evaluation.

This patient's turnover frequency is 500 Hz. This patient would be quite profoundly deaf, and speech discrimination impossible without some degree of lip reading. Amplification will help, but be of limited benefit.

The above audiograms are what is seen in damage to the cochlear apparatus or auditory nerve, most commonly the former.

On the other hand conductive hearing loss looks like this.

This occurs if the middle ear fills up with fluid (middle ear effusion) or if the bony ossicles fuse (otosclerosis) or are damaged by middle ear infections.

I hope this explains what I am talking about.

I have to say the professionals evaluating and assisting you have failed to educate you about your condition. This is basic information that should have been explained to you by your professionals. I should not be having to explain this to you on an audio forum. However I'm glad to help. I hope it gives you better insight into your condition.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
You are more than kind TLS. My primary damage is to my brain. I have frontal lobe disorder and complex partial seizure disorder. My short term memory loss hinders me in situations like this. I was shown audiogram charts but do not recall the details. Since I have a hearing checkup scheduled for Tuesday and ask for further data.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis