Who has gotten their elacs?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I heard the towers at RMAF, and I was impressed! Jaws dropped when AJ said "these are $279 each tower" :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I don't think they are shipping yet?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I don't think they are shipping yet?
They said something along the lines of "2 of the 3 containers already cleared customs and are shipping"......like I said, something similar to that.....I wasn't paying that much attention

D

Dabs

Enthusiast
I thought the bookshelves are shipping and floorstanders and subs on the 19th

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
The 19th is the date Amazon gives for the towers. They don't give any date for the monitors. But I think ELAC may be making direct shipments before that.

D

Dabs

Enthusiast
If you're planning to add sub(s) go with bookshelf
I guess I'm not convinced the towers will go particularly low with those small drivers anyway, it seems like it would be a better idea to use a subwoofer and use the bookshelves.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I have gotten so used to books with subs nothing else has the punch I am looking for. I have to say all the live bands, private shows, small venue, large venue, etc. Everything has strong lows, even outdoor events have strong bass, strength I have NEVER seen out of a tower (very few exceptions and nothing "affordable"), but when you put a pair of 12" sealed subs on the floor, you get a lot closer to that "in person" feeling..

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The only times I have heard powerful bass from full range speakers were when either the speakers were ridiculous, like Focal Utopias or $120k Magicos, or when I was seated against a wall where bass get a natural boost but that, of course, creates other acoustic problems. Subwoofers are a must for anyone who wants decent bass.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Everything has strong lows, even outdoor events have strong bass, strength I have NEVER seen out of a tower (very few exceptions and nothing "affordable")..
shadyJ said:
Subwoofers are a must for anyone who wants decent bass.
I agree for big Bing/Bang/Boom movies. However, here's my problem for most music. When you use a sub, you define/set your crossover. In a full range speaker, the speaker designer defines and executes the crossover. Somehow, I don't think my subjectively determined crossover point, or my AVR's crossover execution can possibly be as good as that of somebody like Dennis Murphy.

ImcLoud, when I was shopping for new speakers, you recommended Phil3s ahead of several much more expensive speakers. I went with the Phil3s. I consider them "affordable". I have 2 very strong subs. But most of my music listening is done in stereo w/o the subs. True, I get more bass w/ the subs, but I feel I get better bass w/ just the Phil3s.

So while I would absolutely recommend a sub or 2 for any HT system, I would not necessarily recommend using them for most music. It depends entirely on your Front L/R speakers, and they don't have to cost $120k.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I agree for big Bing/Bang/Boom movies. However, here's my problem for most music. When you use a sub, you define/set your crossover. In a full range speaker, the speaker designer defines and executes the crossover. Somehow, I don't think my subjectively determined crossover point, or my AVR's crossover execution can possibly be as good as that of somebody like Dennis Murphy.

ImcLoud, when I was shopping for new speakers, you recommended Phil3s ahead of several much more expensive speakers. I went with the Phil3s. I consider them "affordable". I have 2 very strong subs. But most of my music listening is done in stereo w/o the subs. True, I get more bass w/ the subs, but I feel I get better bass w/ just the Phil3s.

So while I would absolutely recommend a sub or 2 for any HT system, I would not necessarily recommend using them for most music. It depends entirely on your Front L/R speakers, and they don't have to cost $120k.
Yeah, my Triton 2 with the built in subs and amps are great for music, without any external subs. The ONLY place that they would be lacking in that department is for Hip Hop and EDM, where you have the extreme low notes from synths etc.

That being said.....I do have them augmented with a Rythmik F15HP :cool:
Mostly for movies, and of course that extra thump for HipHop.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
But... I thought we were talking about music.
Oh, but a lot of HipHop uses samples and loops from other genres! It really is a fun genre of music....note that I'm talking about HipHop, NOT Rap.

D

Dabs

Enthusiast
I don't think a subwoofer necessarily should add bass, it just completes the available frequency range so if bass is present in the recording you actually hear it. I don't know if my subwoofer in my movie/gaming setup is flat but when I play music I would say its pretty true to what you're supposed to hear, and that's what I'll go for with the elac/vinyl setup. The new elac subs that use software to adjust the frequency response really sound appealing to me in that regard. At any rate it does suck to listen to something like modeselektor with speakers that roll off at 40+hz whereas with Crosby stills and Nash it might not be noticeable. That is to say, I've decided on bookshelves with a subwoofer haha.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis