Question on Triton One Audition by a newbie

• Thread starter Manikandan Gopinathan
  • Start date
M

Manikandan Gopinathan

Audiophyte
Hi, I am not an audiophile. Pretty new to the terminologies. So please read my review/question in that context. I went to local GE dealer to audition Triton 2 and 1. I found the sound to be full, higher volume than other speakers. I was expecting a lot from the 1s but the bass was kind of muffled, imaging not so good plus the clarity was not there. I have read a lot about how the positioning of the 1s matter a lot and people have seen dramatic differences. I really want to like and buy Triton 1 but right now I am not fully sold yet. Any advice on proper way to do audition. I did compare with DynAudio and Revels and the sound was cleaner. I must be missing something?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Would the dealer let you play with positioning? You think the 2 sounded better than the 1? Were they side by side? Swap the locations.

Also, note that there is a bass level knob on the back of each Triton. Be sure those are properly set, or set to taste.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I find most of the dealers that have the Tritons either grouped to tight with other speakers, to close to the back or side walls or not spread out enough or have the bass on the built in sub turned to far down. Make them move them around or look elsewhere.

N

niceshoes

Audioholic Intern
Positioning and room shape is important so yes try swapping the position with the other pair.

That said, ignore everything you have read about the speakers and trust your ears. You're the one who has to listen to them so go with what you prefer. In the same way that everyone likes different food and different music, everyone likes different sounding speakers.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
I find most of the dealers that have the Tritons either grouped to tight with other speakers, to close to the back or side walls or not spread out enough or have the bass on the built in sub turned to far down. Make them move them around or look elsewhere.
True. In fact, I believe the designer of those (Sandy Gross) likes them a bit farther apart than one would assume.
Check out this video:
About the 5 to 6.5 minute mark, he talks about that.

But for total clarification, you can easily ask the man himself! Seriously. Call GE's hotline, and you can usually talk directly to him. He loves to talk about the technical aspects of his product. Awesome guy.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Would the dealer let you play with positioning? You think the 2 sounded better than the 1? Were they side by side? Swap the locations.

Also, note that there is a bass level knob on the back of each Triton. Be sure those are properly set, or set to taste.
I agree with the positioning and especially the bass/sub gain/volume level.

Reduce the bass level and the sound may seem cleaner.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
The post with Sandy's video is probably the best way to position those speakers. They are not meant for small rooms, but do surprisingly well in smaller spaces. I will say the positioning of these speakers is important.

The Triton One's are more sensitive to positioning that the Paradigms they replaced, but once tweeked to the right spot (in my case about 12ft apart, slight toe in to an equidistant listening position. I actually elevated the back a tad, they were about 2 feet away from back wall and 2.5 feet away from side walls.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis