3.1 suggestions/question

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That is a fairly flat response for the most part. Hard to call those mids recessed at all. Here is the Stereophile measurements which show somewhat hot bass but very neutral otherwise:

Note what is missing is a suckout in the mids between the tweeter and woofers. That should make for very good mids in room.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Big difference there!
Is that for an earlier version?
The AH review is for the P363, but I didn't realize they actually changed the speaker design (aside from cosmetics).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That is for the Infinity Primus p360, but as far as I know the p360 and p363 are the same except for cosmetics. I wouldn't be surprised is the cause of the change was different measurement technique. However in either measurement, the Primus speaker is very flat except for bass a tad hot. Anyway I don't think opera vocals should be recessed with these speakers. Unless the OP is used to elevated mids. I think it is a setup issue.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I was going with Gene's interpretation of FR and observations during listening since he's done this a lot. He mentions "a lot of top end energy" and also said his results closely matched Harman's anechoic data.
The combined response tracks very closely with the anechoic data Harman sent me for comparative purposes. As you can see, the frequency response is fairly linear with a slight tilt in bass response below 500Hz and treble response above 5kHz. These results don’t surprise me as the P363’s have a lot of top end energy and a good deal of bass punch and depth for a speaker of its size.
Personally, my biggest issue with them was cabinet resonance (which XMax/Chris used to suggest fixing with mods).
I A-B'ed the P363 and the Pio FS-52 and felt the Pioneer FS-52 was a better speaker. I also A-B'ed the New AA Monitor against the stock FS-52 and it is a significantly better speaker (better meaning more accurate).

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I guess my question is. If I was going to upgrade my bookshelves or her infinity set what price range would I expect a noticeable difference.
If you know how to shop - less than $1000

I have been doing this awhile - I for sure, do not need to spend
around that $1000+ mark.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
One outstanding speaker I have heard was the Fusion 15 Sentinel, a DIY Sound Group kit. That would set you back just a bit over $500 each complete with paint, primer, binding posts, and stuffing. I would pit this speaker against many of the five figure speakers I have heard. Nothing commercially could compete with it for the price, not even a little bit. It is by far the best bang-for-the-buck speaker I have ever heard.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Zieglg are they $599 a pair or ea? The overall design of this speaker is intriguing. Are these comparable to e55ti, ar5x, philharmonitor, and even sierra2? Im looking for a 2.1 setup with sb1000 and 2 bookshelf
That is for the pair - and they are really nice - one of the better ones out there.

No one can speak for your ears - However, they have stood the test against
some popular more expensive speakers mentioned on the forums.

Your call

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That is for the pair - and they are really nice - one of the better ones out there.
I'm curious! You've listened to and done a great job of evaluating more speakers in this price range than anyone I know
Do you know if these are available at any common B & M chain stores?
Can you tell they are horns by the sound? Any comments on that aspect?

JBL would probably sell a few more if they indicated the price was for a pair. I could not find it conclusively stated on the Amazon page (although the weights infer it - shipping weight is twice the specified weight for a single speaker).

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I bet the JBL's are equal to the HSU. I would love to hear the JBL's one day. Too bad they are not in stores well none that I know of. The HSU amaze me every time I hear them with music. They kill the Infinity 162's I had and sold
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'm curious! You've listened to and done a great job of evaluating more speakers in this price range than anyone I know
Do you know if these are available at any common B & M chain stores?
Can you tell they are horns by the sound? Any comments on that aspect?

JBL would probably sell a few more if they indicated the price was for a pair. I could not find it conclusively stated on the Amazon page (although the weights infer it - shipping weight is twice the specified weight for a single speaker).
They are sold by the pair - they are packed by the pair
Since they are sold as part of the Synthesis line - they should be in some stores.
http://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+530.html?cgid=loudspeakers&dwvar_STUDIO 530_color=Black#start=1

They never sounded like horns to me - and do not have that blaring horn sound,
They were really nice to my ears.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Maybe one day If I get a deal I will try them out. I'm sure they are great, but for now I'll enjoy my JBL
Synchros 500 headphones, which sound amazing. Sorry to derail the thread...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe one day If I get a deal I will try them out. I'm sure they are great, but for now I'll enjoy my JBL
Synchros 500 headphones, which sound amazing. Sorry to derail the thread...
That is OK - at least you are awake.

Goodnight!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis