Revel f12 vs Jbl studio 590

S

Sams

Junior Audioholic
Whats a better buy? I'm purchasing blind, my closest authorized revel/Jbl synthesis dealer is 53 miles away. So they will be shipped.

Use will be 50/50 music/movies in a large room. No subwoofer will be added. Thanks.

S

Sams

Junior Audioholic
What's the pricing on those?
I have not heard back yet but msrp for the revels is $1300 and $2k for the jbls. So probably 1k and $1700 respectively.

Edit: I see your a Boston acoustics dealer, was the m series a complete failure? How's the brand doing?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have not heard back yet but msrp for the revels is $1300 and $2k for the jbls. So probably 1k and $1700 respectively.

Edit: I see your a Boston acoustics dealer, was the m series a complete failure? How's the brand doing?
The JBL may produce more bass. So if no subwoofers later, the JBL may be better.

I don't know how well the Boston Acoustics M speakers are selling. MSRP isn't cheap, but as long as people are getting great discounts, they are great speakers.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General

I heard the M350 at last years RMAF - solid speaker- especially at the A4L price of 1300 a pair. You'll still likely need a sub for HT use.
Cheers, Mac

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My brother owns a pair of M350 (to go along with his sleek 70" LED TV). :)

The M350 has crystal clear sound. The bass is pretty good, but only 45Hz @ -3dB.

IMO at the right price, the M350 beats any $1-1.3K/pair of speakers from Best Buy or Fry's.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are there any RBH dealers near you?

You may find RBH SX-6300 (MSRP $2750/pair) on sale for about the same price as the JBL.

It has crystal clear sound (which is salient), but what I love most about it is that when you remove the metal jumpers, the three 6.5" subwoofers are completely separated from the tweeter & midrange. Thus, unlike most passive towers (even $30K towers), you can actively bi-amp the bass using a subwoofer amp. Thus, you can increase or decrease the bass level like you would a subwoofer, except you don't have to buy any subwoofers and you don't have to use any kind of EQ. :)

Each SX-6300 tower is equivalent to a typical 10" subwoofer. So 2 speakers = dual 10" subs for more balanced bass than a single sub.

S

Sams

Junior Audioholic
Are there any RBH dealers near you?

You may find RBH SX-6300 (MSRP $2750/pair) on sale for about the same price as the JBL.

It has crystal clear sound (which is salient), but what I love most about it is that when you remove the metal jumpers, the three 6.5" subwoofers are completely separated from the tweeter & midrange. Thus, unlike most passive towers (even $30K towers), you can actively bi-amp the bass using a subwoofer amp. Thus, you can increase or decrease the bass level like you would a subwoofer, except you don't have to buy any subwoofers and you don't have to use any kind of EQ. :)

Each SX-6300 tower is equivalent to a typical 10" subwoofer. So 2 speakers = dual 10" subs for more balanced bass than a single sub.
Looks like my closest rbh dealer is in Kansas-I'm in Kentucky lol

S

Sams

Junior Audioholic
I heard the M350 at last years RMAF - solid speaker- especially at the A4L price of 1300 a pair. You'll still likely need a sub for HT use.
Cheers, Mac
Thanks for sharing, I'm now considering these-I'd have to give up the low end I want tho

Last edited:
S

Sams

Junior Audioholic
My brother owns a pair of M350 (to go along with his sleek 70" LED TV). :)

The M350 has crystal clear sound. The bass is pretty good, but only 45Hz @ -3dB.

IMO at the right price, the M350 beats any $1-1.3K/pair of speakers from Best Buy or Fry's.
Thanks for sharing, I'm going to put the m350 in the not full range category to think about.

So far in my quest for a 2k or less full range tower, all i have found are def tech and goldenear-which I'm not interested in, and the nht Classic 4 and SVS ultra tower-which I don't trust to be good speakers. The Jbl studio 590 mainly hooks me by the looks, and it's huge-it seems like it could be a real special speaker to own in the future.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I like the NHT Classic Four. You can use an external sub amp to actively bi-amp the bass to improve bass. I guess similar to the RBH SX towers, but I don't know how similar.

Of all the speakers you've named so far, I would go with the Classic Four.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I like the NHT Classic Four. You can use an external sub amp to actively bi-amp the bass to improve bass. I guess similar to the RBH SX towers, but I don't know how similar.

What don't you like about the JBL's?

Have you heard them?

S

Sams

Junior Audioholic

Interesting, I've been skeptical of nht because it always seems like there going out of business and they lost there founder. I've never heard there speakers tho so I really hardly kno anything in that regards. I have emailed Chris Byrne a bit and apparently their revamping the classic and absolute line octoberish.

S

Sams

Junior Audioholic

Have you heard them?
I can't find a dealer to audition which is why I am going back and forth between several towers. The only thing negative I've read was build quality, which is a bit sketchy for shipping.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have heard the SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers and it is quite a nice sounding speaker.
You don't have to trust them to be good speakers, that is why they give you a totally free 45 day trial! SVS will reimburse you total cost including paying for shipping both to you and return. It won't cost you a dime if you don't like them.
They could hardly afford to do this if they were not competitive. Of course, being competitive and being your preference are not the same thing. That is what the 45 day period is about.

http://www.svsound.com/support/faqs#question16
http://www.svsound.com/speakers/ultra-tower

PS - If you don't like them, don't hesitate to return them; people like open box discounts! :) Seriously, SVS chose this policy because they believe it is best for the growth of their company, and grown, they have!

Unfortunately NHT will require you to pay return shipping if you return theirs, otherwise, I'd suggest floating both on your credit card and having them side by side in your home for a few weeks - that is really the best way to decide!
You might want to price shipping costs - it still might be worth it to have the experience of listening to both in your home.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Have you heard them?
The JBL doesn't have the features I like.

If you are not going to have any subwoofers at all, you need better bass control in your towers. The Classic Four will allow active bi-amp of the bass with an external sub amp. Thus, you can increase or decrease your bass level by turning the gain/volume knob just like you would a subwoofer without messing around with EQs that could adversely affect overall sound.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for sharing, I'm going to put the m350 in the not full range category to think about.

So far in my quest for a 2k or less full range tower, all i have found are def tech and goldenear-which I'm not interested in, and the nht Classic 4 and SVS ultra tower-which I don't trust to be good speakers. The Jbl studio 590 mainly hooks me by the looks, and it's huge-it seems like it could be a real special speaker to own in the future.
The JBL Studio 590 will hit 30 hz - the studio 5 series signature sound is good.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I can't find a dealer to audition which is why I am going back and forth between several towers. The only thing negative I've read was build quality, which is a bit sketchy for shipping.
The Studio 590, weighs 5 more lbs than the NHT Classic Four

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic

I've auditioned the JBL 570...they are fine speakers, the only thing missing was low bass. With the 590s the bass will be there.
Very good soundstage. I would say the 590s will be above the rest mentioned.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis