Infinity ERS HV250 as center channel behind screen?

J

Josh

Audiophyte
Hello all,

I'm constructing a home theater in my basement, and need some advice on how to deal with the common question of where to put the center channel. I was considering using the in-wall ERS HV250 (though it seems discontinued) as center channel, and then using the Infinity Primus P363 floorstandings for the other two front channels (to the side of the screen). Does this sound reasonable, or are these two models too different to mix?

Second, for the four surround speakers (7.1) I was considering Polk's in-wall RC85i model. Will this be a bad mix/match with the Infinity speakers?

If so, what would you recommend? I'd like in-wall for the surrounds and center, but floor standing speakers for front left/right. I'm also using the system for classical music—thus the Infinity P363, as I liked the reviews in that area.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Josh

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
Despite some good reviews of that in-wall, I don't think I would want to use it in a system with the P363. Mixing 2-way and 3-ways for LCRs is usually not a good thing...the XO points are most likely way off, which will mean mis-matched timbre.
Either use 3 ERS for the LCRs or use the P363 with the matching 3-way Primus center.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Hello all,

I'm constructing a home theater in my basement, and need some advice on how to deal with the common question of where to put the center channel. I was considering using the in-wall ERS HV250 (though it seems discontinued) as center channel, and then using the Infinity Primus P363 floorstandings for the other two front channels (to the side of the screen). Does this sound reasonable, or are these two models too different to mix?

Second, for the four surround speakers (7.1) I was considering Polk's in-wall RC85i model. Will this be a bad mix/match with the Infinity speakers?

If so, what would you recommend? I'd like in-wall for the surrounds and center, but floor standing speakers for front left/right. I'm also using the system for classical music—thus the Infinity P363, as I liked the reviews in that area.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Josh

Hi! As a general rule, it is best to not mix/match tweeters, especially with the front 3! If you're sold on the P363, get the series!

For the surrounds I would stick with the cheaper Infinity CS60's as the Polks are clearly labeled to be timbre matched to their own series.

J

Josh

Audiophyte
Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. I'd like to go with P363 on all three front channels, but the problem is the center one would require my screen to be pushed forward another foot, which would of course push back the viewing distance.

Any other possibilities I'm not thinking of?

Josh

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. I'd like to go with P363 on all three front channels, but the problem is the center one would require my screen to be pushed forward another foot, which would of course push back the viewing distance.

Any other possibilities I'm not thinking of?

Josh

Yes, the matching Center Channel.

Manufacturers often build a series of speakers based around similar designs and components. That is what I was referring to with 'matching tweeters'.

J

Josh

Audiophyte
Thanks. Yeah, I'd seen that, but the problem is this still pushes my screen forward a good foot or so if it's placed in ideal position at the center of the screen.

Either that, or I have to put it below the screen (no room above in my theater).

That's why I was hoping to find an in-wall speaker for the center one. But I guess that might not be possible.

Thanks,

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis