Loudspeaker Upgrade: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

What would be the best speker to match with Krell S550i Integrated amp (275 w/ch)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
M

MervD

Enthusiast
I am in the midst of upgrading my Studio 100 v.5 and am considering the following:

B & W 803 Diamond, Focal 1028BE or paradigm Sig 8 or any other suggested speakers.

Your input would be greatly welcomed and appreciated

My system is comprised of: Krell S550i Integrated amp 275 w/ch
Arcam FMJ BDP 300 Universal Player
Arcam AVR 400 processor function: rears S-10 and sub (in conjunction with Krell S550i Theater Throughput)
Speaker Cables; Audioquest Rocket 88 72 Dbs
Analog Interconnects: Audioqest Water

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'll just leave this here :) http://philharmonicaudio.com/

Have you listened to each of these speakers in your list? At this price point, you're going to have to. IMO, the Sigs are a very noticeable step up from the Studios, but still not quite something I drool over.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
There's no need to match a speaker to an amp. With an amp like that especially, choose the speaker that sounds best to you. I agree with the others, for best value you might consider taking a chance on ordering the Philharmonics. I don't care for any of the speakers on your list in that price range. If the Phils are too far off the beaten path, I really liked the Revel F208s when I heard them. They sound similar to the Salon2s.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Define "upgrade".

Any of these speakers will sound significantly different than your current speakers, but "different" isn't always "better".

But, if "upgrade" means simply throwing money at something just for a change, then any will do.

As another poster alluded to, you should really listen carefully to your contenders, and with music you're familiar with.

After all, you're just getting opinions here, not concrete facts, and somebody else's taste might not be the same as yours.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
it's not even a contest and I've heard all three; the Focal 1028Be gets my vote. one mans opinion. clarity, soundstage, imaging ... check, check, check. trust ur ears though not ours. we all have biases in what we like tonally.

M

MervD

Enthusiast
it's not even a contest and I've heard all three; the Focal 1028Be gets my vote. one mans opinion. clarity, soundstage, imaging ... check, check, check. trust ur ears though not ours. we all have biases in what we like tonally.
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately due to physical disabilities, it is not very easy for me to get around to the respective dealers, however, I will do my due diligence and agree the one's opinion may vary from others. Therefore, getting in the trenches and auditioning each would be sound advice

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Your system is nice enough that whichever speaker you choose is going to do well IMO, so you really just need to find something that suits your tastes and you'll be good to go. That's why I say it will be important to try to listen to them if possible.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If only those 3 loudspeaker options, I vote for the B&W 803 Diamond regardless of amp, processor, media players, DAC, or wires/cables.

M

MervD

Enthusiast
Define "upgrade".

Any of these speakers will sound significantly different than your current speakers, but "different" isn't always "better".

But, if "upgrade" means simply throwing money at something just for a change, then any will do.

As another poster alluded to, you should really listen carefully to your contenders, and with music you're familiar with.

After all, you're just getting opinions here, not concrete facts, and somebody else's taste might not be the same as yours.
Thanks for you invaluable input. To define upgrade, I may have used the term rather loosely. After purchasing the S550i, ( the IA has met all the Krell marketing hype and I am very pleased with the performance and seamless integration into my existing system to add the element of much improved 2 channel application.
I am looking to replace the 100's as IMhumbleO i can access all of the Krell's musicality with a step up in speakers

M

MervD

Enthusiast
If only those 3 loudspeaker options, I vote for the B&W 803 Diamond regardless of amp, processor, media players, DAC, or wires/cables.
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my need for input into speaker decision

M

MervD

Enthusiast
Your system is nice enough that whichever speaker you choose is going to do well IMO, so you really just need to find something that suits your tastes and you'll be good to go. That's why I say it will be important to try to listen to them if possible.
You are most certainly correct. If a picture paints a thousand words than actual auditions of my selections would be music to my ears or such nonsense

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I am in the midst of upgrading my Studio 100 v.5 and am considering the following:

B & W 803 Diamond, Focal 1028BE or paradigm Sig 8 or any other suggested speakers.

Your input would be greatly welcomed and appreciated

My system is comprised of: Krell S550i Integrated amp 275 w/ch
Arcam FMJ BDP 300 Universal Player
Arcam AVR 400 processor function: rears S-10 and sub (in conjunction with Krell S550i Theater Throughput)
Speaker Cables; Audioquest Rocket 88 72 Dbs
Analog Interconnects: Audioqest Water
It sounds like you have a pretty nice system right now. You may want to ask yourself why do you want to upgrade? What are you unhappy about with your current speakers? Have you address speaker placement, seating placement, room acoustics first? What are you looking for in new speakers that your current speakers are lacking (IE. more bass extension, more detailed highs)? Ask these questions first!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am surprised by this post because it has the only poll I have seen here that I can cast my vote based on my subjective experience. I auditioned all 3 speakers extensively and carefully a couple (may be longer) years ago and ended up with the 1028. I agreed to what everyone else have suggested so far including Gene's, except that I remember TLSG didn't like the Studio speakers though I thought even the Studio 3 sounded pretty good, but the S8 sounded slightly but noticeable more transparent.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The lower sensitivity means you would need to set the voulme control a little higher than for a higher sensitivity speaker. However, low sensitivity doesn't affect how the speaker plays at lower levels such as normal conversation levels or a litttle lower. I would audition them and listen for yourself to see if they are your cup of tea.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Merv, you've got 275 watts per channel to play with. I don't think the sensitivity of the PSB's will be a limiting factor in your listening experience. You're reading numbers on paper and not correlating how they relate to the real world.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't care for any of the speakers on your list in that price range.
I know you have carefully listened to a lot of great gear and value your opinion.

What did you find wanting in the Focal 1028Be?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis