T

Tizzo

Audiophyte
Hi,

First of all, i'd like to thank you all for taking your time and responding to me. I am looking forward to learning everything i can on Audio and Sound. I know i won't master it all, but i'm sure i'll learn something.

My current setup is a
Yamaha-RX477 5.1, Two Tsi100's Bookshelf's, Cs10 (Center) And an old Sony Sub(intending to upgrade to a Polk sub in couple months) This setup is in my bedroom (on the pic, that's my old Sony receiver, not the Yamaha one.) I have a Ps4 connected to the receiver and my desktop (movies and music) I want to make it a 5.1 and i am interested in the TSI400's. Then take the tsi100's to the back and have them as surround. So is that a good idea? Will my receiver be able to push the whole setup? Do i need to change anything?? All ideas and opinions are welcomed.

Once again, i appreciate your help.

Cheers.
2015-06-24.jpg

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't consider a Polk sub to be much of an upgrade. You'll find that many speaker makers offer subwoofers without much attention paid to tuning or performance, but merely as a means of completing a 5.1 package. You'll get much better bang for your buck from Hsu Research, Rythmik, or Outlaw Audio. If you're on a slim budget and can't afford any of those, the NXG NX-BAS-500 and the Dayton SUB-1200 or 1500 are pretty good for the money.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
+ 2 on what everyone says. Dayton 1200 is a nice sub for the price.

T

Tizzo

Audiophyte
I wouldn't consider a Polk sub to be much of an upgrade. You'll find that many speaker makers offer subwoofers without much attention paid to tuning or performance, but merely as a means of completing a 5.1 package. You'll get much better bang for your buck from Hsu Research, Rythmik, or Outlaw Audio. If you're on a slim budget and can't afford any of those, the NXG NX-BAS-500 and the Dayton SUB-1200 or 1500 are pretty good for the money.
Hey thanks. I was looking at the subs you suggested. Won't they be a bit much for a bedroom use. I live with my family, that's why my system is set up in my bedroom.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Depends on your point of view, I guess. I've got my home theater in an 11.5x20 bedroom with two 12" subwoofers and a 67" TV. :) But I guess if I had a bed in there, I might be a little more conscious of the real estate used by subs.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You can always get the Dayton Audio SUB-1000. A friend of mine has it with a stereo only setup and he loves it. If you want smaller Dayton Audio SUB-800 is another option.

T

Tizzo

Audiophyte
You can always get the Dayton Audio SUB-1000. A friend of mine has it with a stereo only setup and he loves it. If you want smaller Dayton Audio SUB-800 is another option.
Yes, after someone recommended the Dayton 1200, i realized it would be quite big for my room, having read on the Sub-1000. i think i'll settle with that. Now my dilemma comes on Polk PSW10 VS Dayton 1000? Any comments on that?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
If the choice is limited to the Dayton or the Polk only, go for the Dayton. If you can spring more for the budget, there might be other options.

Are you skilled with a saw, or maybe friends with someone who is? If you'd like something cool in a small footprint, you could build a DIY Sonosub pretty inexpensively. Shopping list:
What is that, like 140 bucks or so? Then just find a cheap amp or old receiver on Craigslist to power it, and maybe carpet or paint it, or spray paint skulls on it or something. It'll reach 100dB at less than 75W (plenty to fill a small bedroom I think), it'll handle 200W, it'll have a true F3 of 22Hz (uncommon for a properly-tuned 8" sub), and it stands in only a foot of floor space x 4' high (give or take an inch or two). With room gain, it should reach into subsonics (which the Dayton and Polk subs definitely will not do).

Basically, build this:

... and end up with this (simulated 100W @1m anechoic):

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Now my dilemma comes on Polk PSW10 VS Dayton 1000? Any comments on that?
I'd ship you a PSW10 if you covered shipping. Since the sub is worth less than the cost of shipping even if you're getting it for free, you shouldn't bother with this offer.

The SVS SB1000 is probably one of the most compact, reasonably priced subs, but, it won't shake the walls.

T

Tizzo

Audiophyte
I'd ship you a PSW10 if you covered shipping. Since the sub is worth less than the cost of shipping even if you're getting it for free, you shouldn't bother with this offer.

The SVS SB1000 is probably one of the most compact, reasonably priced subs, but, it won't shake the walls.
Hahahahaah is it that bad? PSW10. I might just take you up on ur offer

T

Tizzo

Audiophyte
If the choice is limited to the Dayton or the Polk only, go for the Dayton. If you can spring more for the budget, there might be other options.

Are you skilled with a saw, or maybe friends with someone who is? If you'd like something cool in a small footprint, you could build a DIY Sonosub pretty inexpensively. Shopping list:
What is that, like 140 bucks or so? Then just find a cheap amp or old receiver on Craigslist to power it, and maybe carpet or paint it, or spray paint skulls on it or something. It'll reach 100dB at less than 75W (plenty to fill a small bedroom I think), it'll handle 200W, it'll have a true F3 of 22Hz (uncommon for a properly-tuned 8" sub), and it stands in only a foot of floor space x 4' high (give or take an inch or two). With room gain, it should reach into subsonics (which the Dayton and Polk subs definitely will not do).

Basically, build this:

... and end up with this (simulated 100W @1m anechoic):

Holy Cow!! Ok i have to admit. I am not good with a saw, or friends that are good with one. Wait a minute i know a guy who knows a guy that's good with a saw. I'll give Jose Juan Fajitas a call. Anyways this sounds like an amazing project for me. I'll take the project and try to do it myself. Thanks a lot, but for the mean time i'll go with the Dayton sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis