Car Speaker Blown - Use Dummy Resistor?

heatsink101

heatsink101

Audiophyte
Hey guys. I blew out one of my speakers listening to Nirvana. It now rattles and buzzes and sounds like terrible crossover distortion.

Since I'm totally broke, I'd like to just remove the speaker until I can afford a replacement.

My question is whether I should just leave the connection open, or if I should add a resistive load so the amplifier can continue as usual.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I would simply pull the fuse from the amp.

Otherwise, if you want the amp to keep driving other speakers, then I would disconnect the fried speaker, preferably disconnect it from the amp. If that isn't convenient, then I would disconnect from the speaker, clip off the bare wire end, and wrap it several times with electrical tape to keep it from shorting on anything.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey guys. I blew out one of my speakers listening to Nirvana. It now rattles and buzzes and sounds like terrible crossover distortion.

Since I'm totally broke, I'd like to just remove the speaker until I can afford a replacement.

My question is whether I should just leave the connection open, or if I should add a resistive load so the amplifier can continue as usual.
A blown speaker DOES NOT sound like crossover distortion.

Disconnect the speaker and don't try to reach the same SPL.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
heatsink101- how old is the speaker? Any chance that it's under warranty?

Also, who installed the system? If the amp's input level controls are cranked up, that's what really caused the problem. Setting these correctly means you should NEVER reach the level of distortion that may have killed your woofer. However, it's possible that the amp can output more power than the speaker can handle, so it would be best for the future longevity of the system that you make sure the system is dialed in so it's not overpowering the speakers.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
heatsink101- how old is the speaker? Any chance that it's under warranty?

Also, who installed the system? If the amp's input level controls are cranked up, that's what really caused the problem. Setting these correctly means you should NEVER reach the level of distortion that may have killed your woofer. However, it's possible that the amp can output more power than the speaker can handle, so it would be best for the future longevity of the system that you make sure the system is dialed in so it's not overpowering the speakers.
So that's what those gain knobs are for on auto-amps :D Who knew? :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis