In-ceiling solutions

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
So I was watching F1 with my Dad yesterday, and have just about had it with his corner oriented living room. I asked if in-ceiling speakers would ever be a possibility, and he was interested because the concept was foreign to him, but he understood why that would be a better solution.

So my question, being DIY focused, how can I take one of these Seas coaxial drivers and turn it in to an in-ceiling solution for my dad? I understand the basics of crossover design, but not with a coaxial. Nor do I understand the ideal mounting for a 16" OC cavity in the ceiling. Surely there is more than just cutting a hole in the ceiling. Lets start with a 2-channel setup and worry about surround later.

This is a BROAD question, I know. I'm looking to be pointed in the right direction, I can figure it out from there!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
OH you mean specifics? lol

Seas Excel C18

Seas Excel C16

Really any quality coax would be great, point is I need to understand that I am implementing them properly.

Amplification will likely be a basic receiver.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
OH you mean specifics? lol

Seas Excel C18

Seas Excel C16

Really any quality coax would be great, point is I need to understand that I am implementing them properly.

Amplification will likely be a basic receiver.
First of all the C18 is a mid/HF unit and not suitable.

The C16 is a high Q woofer and will need a sealed box in the ceiling, or the woofer will be destroyed.

The next thing is that a ceiling installation is a terrible idea.

Please post pictures of the room, so we can help you arrive at a better plan.

It is a total waste of money to misuse those high end drivers, by putting them in the ceiling.!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you, thats what I needed, it sounded far too simple.

I don't have room measurements at this time, but the ceiling height is 9' with a pretty open 1500 sqft first floor plan.

Nor do I have any idea how to apply my limited 2 and 3 way floor standing knowledge, to an in-ceiling design. Although it sounds like you're about tell me why an in-ceiling design is a terrible idea. Well the TV is in the corner between the fire place (on the narrow wall) and a 6'-7' opening to the living room. So the only other option would be mounting speakers high on the wall above that opening. It is a terrible layout, that unfortunately will not change.

I'm nowhere near a design phase for this yet, I don't even have time to do anything with the rough cut panels for the Thors I've got. I just want to research and understand so I can clearly explain it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you, thats what I needed, it sounded far too simple.

I don't have room measurements at this time, but the ceiling height is 9' with a pretty open 1500 sqft first floor plan.

Nor do I have any idea how to apply my limited 2 and 3 way floor standing knowledge, to an in-ceiling design. Although it sounds like you're about tell me why an in-ceiling design is a terrible idea. Well the TV is in the corner between the fire place (on the narrow wall) and a 6'-7' opening to the living room. So the only other option would be mounting speakers high on the wall above that opening. It is a terrible layout, that unfortunately will not change.

I'm nowhere near a design phase for this yet, I don't even have time to do anything with the rough cut panels for the Thors I've got. I just want to research and understand so I can clearly explain it.
One picture is worth a thousand words!

A corner placement is not impossible. It would require some custom on walls, but it is doable and could work well.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Then thats my homework. Learn what it takes to make a 2-way sound good with close boundaries and still offer good vertical dispersion. Thank you, again!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Then thats my homework. Learn what it takes to make a 2-way sound good with close boundaries and still offer good vertical dispersion. Thank you, again!
Room picture please! I can't advise you without that!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Room picture please! I can't advise you without that!
Lol, I appreciate the eagerness to help!

I don't have a picture, but will post about this when I am ready to actually design. But I had not seriously considered the challenge of designing a speaker to perform within those boundaries, hence the 'band aid' of an in ceiling design.

Let me actually build my Thor's and not screw it up, then the challenge of designing for these limits will drive me forward. I am just cranking out too much furniture right now to stop! I probably won't leave the couch for several weeks once the Thors are completed...

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I have to live with a corner placement and having speakers flanking the monitor works out quite well. Wall mounts, stand-mounts or even floor standing speakers can be made to work, depending on room.

pictures please, particularly of the TV in the corner.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I have to live with a corner placement and having speakers flanking the monitor works out quite well. Wall mounts, stand-mounts or even floor standing speakers can be made to work, depending on room.

pictures please, particularly of the TV in the corner.
Ok, if this is getting people interested, I guess I have to... I need to drop a truck off at my Dads, so I'll run inside and snap some pics!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well, it's the only way you'll get meaningful answers instead of sheer speculation.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis