Center, huh yeah! What is it good for?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
As long as the amp/speakers are not over driven, there will be no distortion. Remember, I went through a practical life experience with this. :) To add to this, in that same house that I sold, I forgot to turn on the center channel and I only happened against it through the menu setup of the AVR after re-running YPAO and looking at the results and I found no setting for the center channel. I must have been missing the center channel for about a month without noticing it not being there. :oops:
I've also experimented with 2Ch vs 5.1 in my room for 5.1 movies. The Center & Surrounds were KEF 201/2. The mains were KEF 201/2, Salon2, Orion3, 802 Diamond, Phil3.

I've also experimented with 2Ch vs 5.1Ch in my current RBH system.

For music, I always prefer 2.0Ch.

But for movies, there were times when I didn't miss the Center speaker as much, but there were times when I definitely missed the Center channel a lot regardless of which speakers I was testing.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've also experimented with 2Ch vs 5.1 in my room for 5.1 movies. The Center & Surrounds were KEF 201/2. The mains were KEF 201/2, Salon2, Orion3, 802 Diamond, Phil3.

I've also experimented with 2Ch vs 5.1Ch in my current RBH system.

For music, I always prefer 2.0Ch.

But for movies, there were times when I didn't miss the Center speaker as much, but there were times when I definitely missed the Center channel a lot regardless of which speakers I was testing.
I have to agree that I also prefer 2.0 for music, unless it is some well done 5.1 SACD. For movies it really depends on how well the sound tracks are done.. With some poor sound tracks you don't benefit from center channel so much but with good tracks you are on it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have to agree that I also prefer 2.0 for music, unless it is some well done 5.1 SACD. For movies it really depends on how well the sound tracks are done.. With some poor sound tracks you don't benefit from center channel so much but with good tracks you are on it.
I agree. It absolutely depends on the soundtracks.

Sometimes you benefit from the discrete Center Channel and sometimes you don't.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis