EMPTek R55Ti vs Chane A5rx-c

A

allargon

Audioholic General
My wife is actually considering letting me upgrade the Infinity Primus towers I've had for the last 6+ years. Ideally, I'd replace them with a set of Revel Salon series. That's not going to happen!

More realistically, we're looking at EMPTek or possibly Chane. (I'm willing to consider bookshelves. But generally any $$$ saved on bookshelves gets spent on stands. So, I'll probably stick with floorstanders.)

My receiver is a Yammy RX-A710 (lowest level Aventage).

We're 60% TV, 30% movies and 10% music. We have a small great room (20x40 ft) by Texas standards!

A

AllanMarcus

Enthusiast
You will want an awesome center for that mix. Chane looks very interesting, but I'm not ready to buy. I'm actually thinking of Ascend bookshelves and a horizon center, but that might be out of your price range. I also read a really real positive review of the new infinity towers. Not sure if there is a matching center. I think for a room that size you will need towers.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
What's the max budget? And is that budget for 5, or 3 speakers? Do you already have a sub-woofer?

A

allargon

Audioholic General
You will want an awesome center for that mix. Chane looks very interesting, but I'm not ready to buy. I'm actually thinking of Ascend bookshelves and a horizon center, but that might be out of your price range. I also read a really real positive review of the new infinity towers. Not sure if there is a matching center. I think for a room that size you will need towers.
Allan, I think you meant to point me to a review of the new Infinity "Reference" speakers line. I might consider those, but the midrange balance of the EMPtek is very tempting.

What's the max budget? And is that budget for 5, or 3 speakers? Do you already have a sub-woofer?
Thanks, All. The max budget is about $1k. This is for 3 speakers. I'm keeping my Infinity ERS 310 surrounds for now. I already have a Dayton Titanic MK III sub. It has it's issues, but I'm not replacing it anytime soon.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
1k for LCR? Ascend CMT340SE - I don't think you could do better than that.
That sub and surrounds are fine. You're right not to replace them .... unless you DO need more bass :cool:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
R263 measures nicely indeed, but article lists pair at $1099. Am I missing something here? What's their street prices?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Hopefully that is just their regular street price and we will see the occasional deep discount like we see for the Infinity P363 (MSRP = $330, Std. street price = $200, Sale price = $100)
It could happen - however, with the Primus still going strong it may
be a while.

However, the Reference R162 bookshelf measurements do not look
that good to me - and seem to stray from Harman's goal of the so
called balance, neutral and more accurate sound. The center also has
that unique dip.
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/infinity-reference-r162-speaker-system-test-bench

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Nice measurements on that Infinity. I would love to see some polar response or axial response measurements. I am guessing it is not bad given Harman's philosophy. These speakers have my interest.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
1k for LCR? Ascend CMT340SE - I don't think you could do better than that.
That sub and surrounds are fine. You're right not to replace them .... unless you DO need more bass :cool:
MTM bookshelves, eh? They're not the prettiest, but their sound might be the best option.

This is Audioholics. We always need more bass! :p

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It could happen - however, with the Primus still going strong it may
be a while.

However, the Reference R162 bookshelf measurements do not look
that good to me - and seem to stray from Harman's goal of the so
called balance, neutral and more accurate sound. The center also has
that unique dip.
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/infinity-reference-r162-speaker-system-test-bench
Looks like poor resonance control on the tweeter. My god that's a big bump up at 20kHz. Though I bet the top end sounds very airy as a result.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis