Grassy's Theater Room

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
Hi guys, this is my first post here on this forum and thought i would let you all know what components i am using and what room i view my passion in. Its a dedicated building 8.5m x 5.5m and has a "hanson block outside wall structure" 200mm thick filled with concrete.It has been rendered then texture coated on the outside for appearances sake.On the inside i have placed timber batterns on the walls and lined them with 2 layers of "Boral soundstop plasterboard' 26mm thick(13mm each).The celing is a standard 8 feet and also has 2 layers of 13mm sound stop board and insulated with accoustic Gold celing bats rated at a value of 7.0.The carpet is an axminster commercial grade and the tiles are 400x400.There are no windows and there is 2 hardwood doors on a metal door frame to keep unwanted noise out. All work was done by myself except for the laying of the carpet.

Attachments

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Beauty!

Whom built the amp cabinet? I love the simplicity of the design, and a few of its characteristics says this might not be a commercial design. I'm always on the look out for a fellow wood worker.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Stunnning colors and great setup. I hope you enjoy it fully. Did I miss the sub? EDIT Is it on the left?

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
Beauty!

Whom built the amp cabinet? I love the simplicity of the design, and a few of its characteristics says this might not be a commercial design. I'm always on the look out for a fellow wood worker.
I built the cabinet in 2012 with some help from a friend who is a carpenter.He showed me what to do then i worked to his plan.Thanks for the kind comment.

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
Stunnning colors and great setup. I hope you enjoy it fully. Did I miss the sub? EDIT Is it on the left?
The sub is a Velodyne DD15+.The family and i enjoy the room and use it at least every second weekend.Thanks for stopping by afterlife2.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Overall great room and excellent job,

That said could you confirm that Left/Right speakers are Yamaha NS-777 ???
Seems like a bit unbalanced to go with $500/ea front speakers and $13,500 (MSRP) in just pre-pro and amp...

Just my 2c

p.s: This Velo sub is certainly no sloth but again at $4k msrp even AH editors think it's value is average at best.
http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/velodyne-dd15

TBH, if I had this kind of money to put into HT room I'd seriously consider much more serious and expensive speakers (and much cheaper on electronics - $1000 for a single Denon AVR should do the trick)

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
Welcome to Audioholics :)

What speakers are those? Yamaha?
Nice gear and a good looking room. Enjoy the hobby :)

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
Overall great room and excellent job,

That said could you confirm that Left/Right speakers are Yamaha NS-777 ???
Seems like a bit unbalanced to go with $500/ea front speakers and $13,500 (MSRP) in just pre-pro and amp...

Just my 2c

p.s: This Velo sub is certainly no sloth but again at $4k msrp even AH editors think it's value is average at best.

TBH, if I had this kind of money to put into HT room I'd seriously consider much more serious and expensive speakers (and much cheaper on electronics - $1000 for a single Denon AVR should do the trick)
G'day mate,firstly thanks for stopping by and i can understand where you are coming from. The Yamaha speakers are the HX8 mains and cost way more than $500 each. I have had these speakers now for some years and i could of gone out and purchased the B&W 800 series for a lot more but that would have been a mistake considering what amp i had at the time. See the thing is, i did not own the AVP and POA when i purchased the speakers, like i said i have had them for some years now. As you probably already know, in this passion we are constantly moving forward and changing from time to time buying new amps and so on.The speakers are made and designed directly for home theater which i prefer to stereo listening but having said that, they are a great looking speaker and have plenty of power when i need to use it. This is what home theater is all about being able to have a great powerful sound without having to put too much load on your speakers so that's why i have a great subwoofer to take the load of the speakers by also setting each speaker to "small" in the settings. I usually demo everything i buy before i purchase it and if i don't like what i hear i don't buy it. The subwoofer is a great sub and is well worth the money that i paid for it otherwise i would not have bought it in the first place.There are products that have come out on the market which we all can overlook due to other product being over explained and over rated but the Yamaha HX series were very under rated. They are one of the finest home theater speakers Yamaha have made. Never had a problem with them and when i have given anyone a demo of them they always shine.Out of all my gear its the speakers that i am more than impressed with.I really don't listen to reviews nor do i bother to read them but what i do do is pick a handful of people that know way more than i do about home theater and listen to them. Like i said too many items released are over explained and that is the money trap.I have never fallen into that trap luckily.I know exactly what you mean though and i do agree with your point of view but i know my gear better than to listen to reviews.Thanks again mate.

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
Welcome to Audioholics :)

What speakers are those? Yamaha?
Nice gear and a good looking room. Enjoy the hobby :)
Thanks for the welcome its much appreciated and yes they are Yamaha Speakers.:)

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
Here is a pic of the seating which was taken before i repainted the walls.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
G'day mate,firstly thanks for stopping by and i can understand where you are coming from. The Yamaha speakers are the HX8 mains and cost way more than $500 each. I have had these speakers now for some years and i could of gone out and purchased the B&W 800 series for a lot more but that would have been a mistake considering what amp i had at the time. See the thing is, i did not own the AVP and POA when i purchased the speakers, like i said i have had them for some years now. As you probably already know, in this passion we are constantly moving forward and changing from time to time buying new amps and so on.The speakers are made and designed directly for home theater which i prefer to stereo listening but having said that, they are a great looking speaker and have plenty of power when i need to use it. This is what home theater is all about being able to have a great powerful sound without having to put too much load on your speakers so that's why i have a great subwoofer to take the load of the speakers by also setting each speaker to "small" in the settings. I usually demo everything i buy before i purchase it and if i don't like what i hear i don't buy it. The subwoofer is a great sub and is well worth the money that i paid for it otherwise i would not have bought it in the first place.There are products that have come out on the market which we all can overlook due to other product being over explained and over rated but the Yamaha HX series were very under rated. They are one of the finest home theater speakers Yamaha have made. Never had a problem with them and when i have given anyone a demo of them they always shine.Out of all my gear its the speakers that i am more than impressed with.I really don't listen to reviews nor do i bother to read them but what i do do is pick a handful of people that know way more than i do about home theater and listen to them. Like i said too many items released are over explained and that is the money trap.I have never fallen into that trap luckily.I know exactly what you mean though and i do agree with your point of view but i know my gear better than to listen to reviews.Thanks again mate.
I like it! Looks nice!

Just one little item: You don't "place a load on your speakers".

Your speakers ARE the load. The speakers place a load on your amp.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I see. Ns-8hx was never made for US folks, whom walk the right way up (j/k :) ) . I never heard them or of them, but they do look strikingly similar to cheaper 777. I strongly believe that yamaha can make excellent products and your hx8 just might be it. Best judge in the end are you ears and not some crazy folks (like me) telling you that's good and not.

As for your top of the line denon equipment - i am glad that you enjoying it, but in end of the day your speakers would sound just as fine with midrange yamaha reciever and amp (if needed). If you got some insane deal on the denon pair - good for you and I wish I could have similar luck

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I agree with BSA, I will trade your 'bad' speakers for mine and trade my bad source/amps for yours:cool:

:eek:

In all seriousness, nice set up!!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with BSA, I will trade your 'bad' speakers for mine and trade my bad source/amps for yours:cool:

:eek:

In all seriousness, nice set up!!
Hey, don't put words into my mouth.. i never said yamahas are bad... merely pointing at what I consider unbalanced budget... I dont know retail price of hx8, but i doubt they (all 5) 60-70% more expensive than denon combo

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
Hey, don't put words into my mouth.. i never said yamahas are bad... merely pointing at what I consider unbalanced budget... I dont know retail price of hx8, but i doubt they (all 5) 60-70% more expensive than denon combo
Its all good, BoredsysAdmin as i know you meant well my friend and i am sure ARES24 also meant well and i am pretty sure there was not one bit of malace in any of your or ARES24 posts.Its all good and i appreciate all your posts and support on this quest of ours. Sometimes things can come across that way with no malice intended.Its probably something i would of said also. Don't feel bad mate as its all good.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Where did you get the Yamahas?. I imagine they're many levels above what we typically see from them. It appears that they use treated cloth surrounds instead of rubber or foam. It looks like they built these speakers to last a lifetime. I wonder how they compare to the Soavo line.

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
Hi Seth, i purchased the Yamaha speakers from Todd's HiFi in Brisbane Australia back in around 2002(i think).:rolleyes: I was looked after by a company like Todds Hi Fi when i knew nothing at all about home theater.You are 100% correct these speakers were meant to last and i can tell you from all honesty that they have. I have never ever had not 1 problem with these speakers and i really like them. My plan is to buy new speakers in the future but i will be keeping these for my lounge room as i would be a nutter if i ever traded them in.:) There is no way i will get rid of these. Like i said before Seth, there are some products which have been over explained and built up and others that are under rated and these fall into the under rated category. I highly recommend these speakers for home theater use as that's what they are designed for but having said that music also sounds great if you are pushing them with the right equipment as they are a little power hungry.As far as the Soavo line goes i gather that they would be good value for what you pay for them but i have not listened to them so i can not say for sure.I really love the HX'S canadian maple finish.I am proud to have them and always get a good feedback from those who have listened to them.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis