New place, new system

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
We took possession of an apartment two weeks ago and yesterday I put together the system that we are going to use here. Nothing fancy, but it will do the job for the 18 months that we'll be staying here.

Yamaha RX-A830 receiver
Boston A26 front
Boston A223C center
Boston A23 rear
Boston ASW250 subwoofer
Comcast Xfinity X1 DVR
Amazon Fire TV
Xbox One
RCA 55" LED (will probably return it and go with something with better picture)

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
Tomorrow I'll post some better pics. The ones I posted were taken with a phone.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
So, returned the cheap pos RCA TV and replaced it with a 60" Panasonic Viera.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
Moar changes. I didn't want to spend money on an AV rack so I removed two shelves from the Ikea bookshelf-turned-stand and put the receiver and the cable box in there. The sub is no longer used as a receiver stand. :D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Hey, that's a good idea. Any flex caused by doing that? Nice looking setup!

SheepStar

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
Any flex caused by doing that?
By removing the shelves? If that is what you are asking, then no flex. The two shelves in the middle are supporting the weight of the TV.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looking great Lu. Enjoy. Where are the newly bought speakers going?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I see the box for the XBOX ONE, but I don't see the XBOX ONE. Is it cleverly hidden?

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
No, I only took it out of the box yesterday. It is hooked up now.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
*update*

Because the Fire TV doesn't do HD audio, I bought a Zotac Zbox MI320 mini PC. It came with Win 8.1, 64GB SSD and 2GB RAM. Good deal at $160 for a complete box with Windows and SSD. I had an extra 2GB stick laying around so I put it in and doubled the memory.
Now I have HD audio. :music-rockout:
Also finally got around to hook up the Xbox One for some late night gaming. :D

And I ordered 3 Wave Crest Audio HVL-1 bookshelf speakers to use as LCR. If I like them, I will keep them and add 2 more for surrounds. The Bostons are ok but not great. I feel we can do better :D
The new speakers should get here Thursday.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know much about the Wave Crest HVL-1, but based on their price I'm not sure they would be significantly if any better than the Bostons. I am curious to read your findings.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I don't know much about the Wave Crest HVL-1, but based on their price I'm not sure they would be significantly if any better than the Bostons. I am curious to read your findings.
Well, they are basically re-branded Ascends. A "joint venture" with Ascend, and a budget offering.

I'm also eager to hear the low down on them.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Well, they are basically re-branded Ascends. A "joint venture" with Ascend, and a budget offering.

I'm also eager to hear the low down on them.
If a sub $200 pair speaker can outperform / sound better than a $400 pair, that'd be impressive.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
Dem new speakerz be hear :D

I hooked them up and only listened to a couple of songs. Tomorrow I will have all morning with them. :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
"Toxic Holocaust" - Truly appealing,soothing and gentle music filled with soft crispness and sound so completely and disarmingly natural that after 30 seconds you're unaware it's reproduced.
The image of their instruments is uncolored and well defined, with just the occasional plectrum stroke splashing off the walls of the dry recording venue.

/s
:D:p:rolleyes:

p.s: Source for word farting above was "inspired" by articles such as this:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-alexia-loudspeaker-page-2

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
"Toxic Holocaust" - Truly appealing,soothing and gentle music filled with soft crispness and sound so completely and disarmingly natural that after 30 seconds you're unaware it's reproduced.
The image of their instruments is uncolored and well defined, with just the occasional plectrum stroke splashing off the walls of the dry recording venue.

/s
:D:p:rolleyes:

p.s: Source for word farting above was "inspired" by articles such as this:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-alexia-loudspeaker-page-2
By looking at the cover art after reading your post I've come to detect sarcasm. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis