I'm switching to Bose

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Revel just announced they're doing car audio for Lincoln. Levinson is in Lexus. Harman is nauseating me. I think I'm switching to Bose, at least they're in Corvettes and Porsches.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I had Bose in my Infiniti 2012 G37X, I didn't think it was that good. Heck Bose was in my 2000 Grand Prix GTP back in the day

The Mark Levinson in Lexus sounds incredible.
I though the HK system in my 2008 BMW 335xi Sounded Great
The 14 Speaker Bang and Olufsen in my Audi A5 also sound Great as well.

I am sure it's pretty good money for those companies, and as in Home Audio, the Bose is the worst sounding of the bunch IMO o_O

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The Levinson system in my Lexus IS350F is uninspiring. Anytime you shove mids on the doors by the floor and tweeters in the dash with a 3" fullrange mid for the center, you've got a recipe for mediocre sound. Krell in Acura isn't that much better either. Big names, not delivering big performance. Not really surprising is it?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
The Levinson in the Lexus LS460 sounded pretty good to me. The Q7 Audi is going to do 3D sound with height channels, curious how that is going to look

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
The Levinson system in my Lexus IS350F is uninspiring. Anytime you shove mids on the doors by the floor and tweeters in the dash with a 3" fullrange mid for the center, you've got a recipe for mediocre sound. Krell in Acura isn't that much better either. Big names, not delivering big performance. Not really surprising is it?
Same type of setup in my Ram- Infinity- meh

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I do wonder what sort of name recognition Revel or Levinson could have with most Lexus and Lincoln buyers. Krell is even worse. I didn't realize they were in Acuras.

In truth the Bose system in my wife's Porsche is nothing special either.

Maybe RBH will do Tesla. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not surprising to me at all. :D

I've been in BMW 750iL, Mercedes S500, Lexus LS460 and LX570 (own), Range Rover, Acura RL. None of them sound even 50% of my home system, especially when going 65 MPH. Forget about DREAMING approaching 100%. Maybe hallucinating approaching 100%. ;) :D

No face palm either because I absolutely love my Lexus and my home HT system and life is good. :D

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Not surprising to me at all. :D

I've been in BMW 750iL, Mercedes S500, Lexus LS460 and LX570 (own), Range Rover, Acura RL. None of them sound even 50% of my home system, especially when going 65 MPH. Forget about DREAMING approaching 100%. Maybe hallucinating approaching 100%. ;) :D

No face palm either because I absolutely love my Lexus and my home HT system and life is good. :D

I have to say I am amused reading some of these replies. No I wouldn't expect any car system, Bentley included, to sound as good as my home system. In some cases, your home setups cost as much or more than the car you drive.. It's all relative. I guess I should preface my original reply to state my opinion on sound systems in cars is relative to other cars.

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
In my 79 Trans Am I had a 10k system and I think it sounded great. I have the Levinson in my Lexus (what a joke). It's amazing what marketing can do.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
It's all perception, brand recognition, and bragging rights....

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Hey, if you want Lexicon system, there's Genesis by Hyundai. My daughter in law has one and it sounds pretty good, considering she listens only to contemporary Christian music.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
It's all perception, brand recognition, and bragging rights....
I wonder about that... would the average Lincoln buyer know who Revel is? Or would the average Acura buyer know about Krell? I'm having trouble seeing the brand recognition.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I wonder about that... would the average Lincoln buyer know who Revel is? Or would the average Acura buyer know about Krell? I'm having trouble seeing the brand recognition.
I doubt the average buyer would, at least initially. But the salesperson will use it as a sales point. The buyer will Google it on their phone and see some pricey equipment and there you have it.

Consider Apple bought Beats which makes it "cool," add to that Beats are expensive , therefore my GF's teenage daughters think they're top of the line..... I never heard or paid attention to the brand until I heard Apple bought them. Neither did the girls.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...No I wouldn't expect any car system, Bentley included, to sound as good as my home system. In some cases, your home setups cost as much or more than the car you drive.
LOL. Very true. :D

No face palm. ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
High end car audio in a noisy environment doesn't make sense to me nor does it appeal to me. One can't make silk of a sow's ear but if you read manufacturer's adds, you think they can make turn lead into gold ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In my 79 Trans Am I had a 10k system and I think it sounded great. I have the Levinson in my Lexus (what a joke). It's amazing what marketing can do.
Trans Am? :eek:

Walter, how loud was the Trans Am @ 65 MPH with the A/C on? :D

I'm thinking 80dBA @ 65 MPH and maybe 90dBC @ 65 MPH? :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know what system my Mazda 3 s is. Interesting to hear about the systems of the drivers always shrinking in my rear view mirror. :D

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I drive a 2013 civic ex and the audio system is mediocre at best :/ I'd like to replace all the factory speakers one day, but I've said the same thing in my previous two vehicles and it never happened. I've also had a soundsplinter orphan 8 in my closet for the last few years that I'd like to put in there some day as well (I'd need to build a box and buy an amp and wiring stuff too).

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
The Stock stereo in my GFs mazda 3 sounds really decent for base model audio. 6x8s in each door, good low and, treble isn't grating, mids aren't forward. That's all I hope for. With all that glass I just want it to sound like the music isn't extremely harsh.

I didn't mind the levinson systems when I worked at Lexus, nor the JBL synthesis in the toyota line up. Pro tip, the JBL system for the Prius SLAMS. It's got wicked power and really is a hoot to crank up.

I thought the Krell sounded pleasant, but I haven't spent any time with my own music on it.

Car audio to me is a good enough type of thing. As long as my ears aren't bleeding, it's okay.

SheepStar

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Trans Am? :eek:

Walter, how loud was the Trans Am @ 65 MPH with the A/C on? :D

I'm thinking 80dBA @ 65 MPH and maybe 90dBC @ 65 MPH? :D
With headers maybe a little higher. I don't remember it's been a long time ago.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis