GoldenEar Triton Fives at CES

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
It took me a while to get some pictures on these, but let's face it, the aren't the most exciting looking speakers, but initial reviews are excellent. I am also curious on the Sub XXL.
(Find Pictures) not take myself, sorry for the confusion.

http://www.hdliving.com/2015/01/06/buy-new-set-speakers-need-hear-goldenears-new-triton-fives/

It is the love child of the Triton One and Triton 7 in design :eek:

Still not pretty, but having owned both the 7s and the Ones, I may be selling my 7s off and replacing them with these.

http://hometheaterreview.com/goldenear-debuts-triton-five-loudspeaker/

I was hoping to see these on the CES reports here, but no such luck :(

While I have not been a huge fan of their subs, I am interested in the SuperSub XXL Prototype:

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/goldenear-sub-fires-four-directions

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I haven't seen much hard data on any of their products, and with a definitive background, it's hard to stomach their specs.

SheepStar

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm also a fan of my GE T2s.

If I had it to do over again, I probly would have gone T7 + dual external subs. But when I bought in, the T2 was the only speaker in the Triton line on the market. The price for a pair has also gone up $500 since I bought my T2.

But, I will agree that I don't trust the published specs of DT, and therefore I am very skeptical on published specs for the GEs too.

Good thing my ears can't hear the published specs.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Yes you are right, it's a Conspiracy!

Why would a speaker company who has had positive reviews from, Sound & Vision, The Absolute Sound, Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity,
Hometheaterreview.com, Hi-Fi+, and Digital Trends, want to host copies of those reviews on their own website. They even go so far as to put it on their Facebook page! How dare they, what were they thinking :eek:!!!!

While I might give you AV South Africa, I am pretty sure that those are legitimate magazines o_O

You have just added to my conspiracy theory list..

1. GoldenEar hosting their own positive reviews
2. Kennedy Assassination
3. Roswell

:p:D:p

I haven't seen much hard data on any of their products, and with a definitive background, it's hard to stomach their specs.
SheepStar
I can understand your concern with the posted specs, My point was they are one of the most review brands and if they were totally off base, they would come up negatively by one of these resources.

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Yes you are right, it's a Conspiracy!

Why would a speaker company who has had positive reviews from, Sound & Vision, The Absolute Sound, Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity,
Hometheaterreview.com, Hi-Fi+, and Digital Trends, want to host copies of those reviews on their own website. They even go so far as to put it on their Facebook page! How dare they, what were they thinking :eek:!!!!

While I might give you AV South Africa, I am pretty sure that those are legitimate magazines o_O

You have just added to my conspiracy theory list..

1. GoldenEar hosting their own positive reviews
2. Kennedy Assassination
3. Roswell

:p:D:p

I can understand your concern with the posted specs, My point was they are one of the most review brands and if they were totally off base, they would come up negatively by one of these resources.
I'll reserve my judgement until I see 3rd party un-advertised measurements. I know I'm a wet blanket but there has been enough evidence in the past to show the guy behind def tech was a snake when it came to numbers. I could listen to some, I'll have to find them and then time though.

SheepStar

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I'll reserve my judgement until I see 3rd party un-advertised measurements. I know I'm a wet blanket but there has been enough evidence in the past to show the guy behind def tech was a snake when it came to numbers. I could listen to some, I'll have to find them and then time though.

SheepStar
Don't know his work and Def Tech, nor have I heard a Def Tech speaker, so I won't make a judgment on that. I think the best thing you could do before imparting your judgment is to do the same and actually listen to a pair. Not to take away from the significance of measurements, but sometimes I don't need a graph to tell me something sounds good to me.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/goldenear-triton-one-loudspeaker/

Talks about measurements and is a 3rd party source, not an advertiser. The same can be said for sound and vision, etc, but at the end of the day that's not the point.

My point was just to talk the new releases of GE, not to debate how they graph.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Don't know his work and Def Tech, nor have I heard a Def Tech speaker, so I won't make a judgment on that. I think the best thing you could do before imparting your judgment is to do the same and actually listen to a pair. Not to take away from the significance of measurements, but sometimes I don't need a graph to tell me something sounds good to me.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/goldenear-triton-one-loudspeaker/

Talks about measurements and is a 3rd party source, not an advertiser. The same can be said for sound and vision, etc, but at the end of the day that's not the point.

My point was just to talk the new releases of GE, not to debate how they graph.
I'm doing the opposite of passing judgement. I'm saying I won't believe anything, good or bad until I hear them or see some numbers from sources I trust.

SheepStar

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
What sources are those you trust? are the ones I put up not reliable?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Where is Ilkka when you need him?

SheepStar
He was hired by Genelec as far as I know.

Did he ever do speaker reviews? His old subwoofer reviews are still useful of course.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
He was hired by Genelec as far as I know.

Did he ever do speaker reviews? His old subwoofer reviews are still useful of course.
Oh I know where he is, I just wish he was still doing the sub testing.

SheepStar

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am resigned to the fact that I am the only one who reccomends them on this site, which sometimes is like banging my head against a wall LOL.
That's how I was when I briefly owned the DT BP7000SC, which is also a Sandy Gross speaker. :)

I think all the bashing of his speakers is due to all the hyperbolized spec they insist upon, instead of showing the +/-3dB spec.

Some people also diss the Triton1 because it is +8dB @15kHz.

I just care about the 200-10kHz, in which case the Triton1 is flat on-axis @ +/-2dB.

If they sound great, then that's what matters.

Last edited:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Oh I know where he is, I just wish he was still doing the sub testing.

SheepStar
Yeah, it would be good if he still did sub reviews. Ricci at data-bass does a great job as well of course. It would be nice if there were more people who did such comprehensive testing.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
That's how I was when I briefly owned the DT BP7000SC, which is also a Sandy Gross speaker. :)

I think all the bashing of his speakers is due to all the hyperbolized spec they insist upon, instead of showing the +/-3dB spec.

Some people also diss the Triton1 because it is +8dB @15kHz.

I just care about the 200-10kHz, in which case the Triton1 is flat on-axis @ +/-2dB.

If they sound great, then that's what matters.
Holy heck. That is a huge peak in a fairly sensitive area.

This is where I have seen some hard numbers on def techs. Not a very current list, but if you look at the model and then it's performance, it's not nearly what they say it is.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvieXs2IbzIfdFB1dVFtLW5HeF9yb1o2TjIyU2F1Unc&hl=en_US#gid=0

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, it would be good if he still did sub reviews. Ricci at data-bass does a great job as well of course. It would be nice if there were more people who did such comprehensive testing.
I wish there was more subs being sent. Subs that have no solid numbers surrounding them. We all know SVS and HSU will perform well, measure the ones that have "I don't beleive it" numbers.

SheepStar

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

This is where I have seen some hard numbers on def techs. Not a very current list, but if you look at the model and then it's performance, it's not nearly what they say it is.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvieXs2IbzIfdFB1dVFtLW5HeF9yb1o2TjIyU2F1Unc&hl=en_US#gid=0

SheepStar
Yeah. One time I asked Sandy Gross (Golden Ear, Def Tech) on AVS forum why he spec his speakers and subs way off the actual +/-3dB performance. He just totally ignored my question. :D

I guess he believes exaggerating the specs sells better. And maybe it is true. Maybe most people don't go on forums like AH or AVS. Maybe most people just go with the specs and don't know anything about speaker measurements. So as long as he sells his speakers to MOST people who BUYS his speakers, instead of people on forum who demand +/-3dB FR spec, he doesn't care if anyone bashes his speakers.

I have to admit it was one big reason I decided to sell all my Def Tech speakers. I was quite happy with Def Tech until I joined Audioholics. :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The GEs and DTs that I have heard do sound great! I was especially pleasantly surprised with the SM350s, good bass from a small speaker.

But, we all know that the published specs for DT are completely bogus. DT is nowhere near the only company that does that! It seems to me that most big box retail speakers fudge the numbers.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai

SheepStar
I think you might be overstating the issue a bit, given the fact that a large number of people over 25 have difficulty hearing the 15hz

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah. One time I asked Sandy Gross (Golden Ear, Def Tech) on AVS forum why he spec his speakers and subs way off the actual +/-3dB performance. He just totally ignored my question. :D

I guess he believes exaggerating the specs sells better. And maybe it is true. Maybe most people don't go on forums like AH or AVS. Maybe most people just go with the specs and don't know anything about speaker measurements. So as long as he sells his speakers to MOST people who BUYS his speakers, instead of people on forum who demand +/-3dB FR spec, he doesn't care if anyone bashes his speakers.

I have to admit it was one big reason I decided to sell all my Def Tech speakers. I was quite happy with Def Tech until I joined Audioholics. :D
I read your discussion that you had with him on this issue on the AVS Forum.

As far as not caring about people bashing his speakers I 100% disagree. When I had my issue with the delivery (sub issues) of my first speaker, I posted on AVS forum and the GE website, I was contacted by GE (via email) and Sandy (Via AVS forum) the same day. GE's customer service was emailing me on Sunday to make sure my situation was handled. To be honest, I was going to return the speakers because I was upset, but couldn't believe the level of service I got.

I don't know many speaker companies that give that level of service.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis