Advent Legacy 2 issues

B

Bud Lamar

Audiophyte
Just got some Advent Legacy 2's. They look great but I am not yet impressed. Before I curse the fine gentleman who sold them to me, it is quite possibly something I'm doing wrong. Is my receiver enough to push them? 2245 at 45 WPC. They sound muted and far from crisp. However, I am also running some KG3's with them and together they sound pretty nice simply because the KG3's overpower them and fill in where the Advents are lacking. Any recommendations?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Just got some Advent Legacy 2's. They look great but I am not yet impressed. Before I curse the fine gentleman who sold them to me, it is quite possibly something I'm doing wrong. Is my receiver enough to push them? 2245 at 45 WPC. They sound muted and far from crisp. However, I am also running some KG3's with them and together they sound pretty nice simply because the KG3's overpower them and fill in where the Advents are lacking. Any recommendations?
They were a budget speaker from the 70s and date from when Advent was passed best. The best that could be said for them then, was reasonably good for the money. Advent speakers were lauded by Stereo Review, who in my view lauded a lot of suspect gear.

Basically you have a 10" driver driven too high and a dome tweeter driven too low. What you hear is what you have got.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have done some further research on these speakers.

This is the crossover. This crossover is crude. There is no woofer crossover, it is run full range and allowed to acoustically roll off. So the 10" driver will be run into and beyond break up range. There is a third order high pass to the tweeter. There seem to be a faction that believes because it is old it is good. All periods have had there junk. This is an example of 70s junk.

upload_2015-1-3_8-2-25.png

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Speakers are a matter of preference. Some like bright speakers (West Coast sound) and some like more laid back speakers (Boston/East coast sound) They are not bad speakers that were designed to sell at a particular price point and many people liked them, and still do, but they are designed to have a somewhat laid back sound and, in spite of what some here say, they are not bad speakers for what they are. But when compared to a bright speaker like your Klipsch speakers, they will sound more laid back.

Or, the tweeters could be shot.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Just got some Advent Legacy 2's. They look great but I am not yet impressed. Before I curse the fine gentleman who sold them to me, it is quite possibly something I'm doing wrong.
Did you listen to them before you bought them?

From the Advent speakers that I have listened to, I am not a fan

While not a big Klipsch fan - I would still prefer the KG series speakers.
I have owned and listened to Klipsch KG speakers.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I have done some further research on these speakers.

This is the crossover. This crossover is crude. There is no woofer crossover, it is run full range and allowed to acoustically roll off. So the 10" driver will be run into and beyond break up range. There is a third order high pass to the tweeter. There seem to be a faction that believes because it is old it is good. All periods have had there junk. This is an example of 70s junk.

View attachment 14483

Welllll...........That's more sophisticated than the original large Advent, which also had no low pass filter on the woofer, and either a first or second order electrical filter on the tweeter (I don't remember which). Same thing for the Dynaco A25, which was anything but junk. That's just how they designed back then. The large woofers were smoother at the top end than such woofers typically are today, and many were able to approximate a decent low pass slope. I've never heard the Legacy, so I don't know how well this approach worked with its drivers.

K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic
Speakers are a matter of preference. Some like bright speakers (West Coast sound) and some like more laid back speakers (Boston/East coast sound) They are not bad speakers that were designed to sell at a particular price point and many people liked them, and still do, but they are designed to have a somewhat laid back sound and, in spite of what some here say, they are not bad speakers for what they are. But when compared to a bright speaker like your Klipsch speakers, they will sound more laid back.

Or, the tweeters could be shot.
I owned a pair of these for several years. They were quite decent for what they were.

Very good bass, and huge power handling. The highs were a tad subdued, but over time almost for sure, the caps are bad by now. That is more likely the issue.

Definitely not junk and for sure NOT from the 70s as mentioned above.
They are Late 80s, early 90s speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis