SVS Ultra Bookshelf Speakers Review

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
Very efficient?

You should be ok. Onkyo's have pretty meaty amp section and the Ultra's are very efficient. Keep it running cool as everyone suggested here. Also you should use 80Hz if you have a powered sub. Let the sub handle the low frequencies especially since you have a very good one.
Are they really all that efficient Gene? SVS' product page says: Sensitivity: 87dB (2.83V @ 1 meter full-space, 300-3kHz) If they're actually a 4Ω nom. speaker, 2W is made with 2.83V. So for an apples to apples comparison, the Ultra bookshelves should be docked 3dB for a net 84dB/1W/1m, correct? This figure would also gel with Butterworth's testing of the Ultra towers (87dB), centre (85dB) and surrounds (80dB) linked above.

There's a lot to like about these speakers though, and I enjoyed your forensic review. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Are they really all that efficient Gene? SVS' product page says: Sensitivity: 87dB (2.83V @ 1 meter full-space, 300-3kHz) If they're actually a 4Ω nom. speaker, 2W is made with 2.83V. So for an apples to apples comparison, the Ultra bookshelves should be docked 3dB for a net 84dB/1W/1m, correct? This figure would also gel with Butterworth's testing of the Ultra towers (87dB), centre (85dB) and surrounds (80dB) linked above.

There's a lot to like about these speakers though, and I enjoyed your forensic review. :)
Damn! Good eye. Some manufacturers now use 2.83V for everything for easier comparison, but yeah. I'm sort of hesitant in how telling sensitivity ratings of 1w/1m are because resistance consumes power, so there is an SPL advantage that comes from using less current to make the same amount of power. They may use constant voltage rather than constant power, since the power will vary with frequency, making it hard for comparison purposes.

I'd suspect these speakers to be better off using separates stable to 4-ohms with a pretty meaty power supply. A receiver might not have enough pull to show these off. /end speculation/ heh.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Damn! Good eye. Some manufacturers now use 2.83V for everything for easier comparison, but yeah. I'm sort of hesitant in how telling sensitivity ratings of 1w/1m are because resistance consumes power, so there is an SPL advantage that comes from using less current to make the same amount of power. They may use constant voltage rather than constant power, since the power will vary with frequency, making it hard for comparison purposes.

I'd suspect these speakers to be better off using separates stable to 4-ohms with a pretty meaty power supply. A receiver might not have enough pull to show these off. /end speculation/ heh.
I know what your saying, but Yes they are. 2.83V at 1 meter is the standard to measure sensitivity. They are about 2db more efficient than my 8ohm reference bookshelf speakers rated at 88db at 1watt/m.

for more info on this topic, read:
http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/loudspeaker-sensitivity

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I know what your saying, but Yes they are. 2.83V at 1 meter is the standard to measure sensitivity. They are about 2db more efficient than my 8ohm reference bookshelf speakers rated at 88db at 1watt/m.

for more info on this topic, read:
Loudspeaker Sensitivity & Impedance Explained | Audioholics
A whole article on it! Yeah, that's essentially what I was trying to say, but, not as eloquently.

Did you try them on a receiver rather than your monoblocks at any point? I suspect (but don't know) at low volumes no difference, but at high volumes (which these seem very capable of), even a good receiver generally struggles below 6-ohms (audibly).

Some speakers 'work' with receivers, but come alive with a bigger amp... for electrical reasons / not because the amps sound different.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
THe more stalkers the merrier.

Wait, not sure about that.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i use a Denon 2309 to run the Ultra Towers full range. seems perfectly fine to me. (though i use pc fans connected to the switched outlets because my AV rack has a weird frame on top of the receiver shelf that traps the heat)

Last edited:
U

Uncle_Big_Green

Audioholic Intern
Yes and sadly we see the same abuse of psuedoscience trying to debunk or cause doubt about man made climate change. Hopefully the real science will prevail in this case too but I digress.
Whenever, I light a match, an exothermic reaction occurs and CO2 is released. I agree.

Good speaker review, too.

D

Darkwing_duck

Audioholic
Now THIS was a REVIEW!

Finally a look at the drivers, crossovers and insides of an Ultra Series loudspeaker! Would be nice if we could have the same done to the Ultra Series Tower speakers toooo

D

dcooper

Audiophyte
Great review - thank you. I am about to purchase the SVS Bookshelf system and would appreciate any feedback since I'm a newbie. My room is 14' x 18' with 8' ceiling height. I have chosen the SVS Bookshelf speakers along with the surrounds and center. I'm planning to get the Yamaha 2040 AVR along with an OPPO 103. I'm getting hung up on the SVS Sub, with my small space would the SB Ultra 13 be overkill? Also, what do you think about the Yamaha 2040? Is it a bit overkill as well. My goal is to have great sounding music and killer sound for movies. Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Great review - thank you. I am about to purchase the SVS Bookshelf system and would appreciate any feedback since I'm a newbie. My room is 14' x 18' with 8' ceiling height. I have chosen the SVS Bookshelf speakers along with the surrounds and center. I'm planning to get the Yamaha 2040 AVR along with an OPPO 103. I'm getting hung up on the SVS Sub, with my small space would the SB Ultra 13 be overkill? Also, what do you think about the Yamaha 2040? Is it a bit overkill as well. My goal is to have great sounding music and killer sound for movies. Any feedback is appreciated.

Great choices. The SB13-Ultra is a fantastic sub and should work very well for you. If your space is relatively small and don't need massive output, you may also want to consider two SB-2000's. Dual subs help provide smoother bass for more listening seats if you set them up properly. Good luck.

D

dcooper

Audiophyte
Thanks Gene. Since I'm just starting out I have very much enjoyed reading your reviews. They have really helped me to get the biggest bang for my buck. I think I'll go with the single Ultra since it's mainly just my wife and I that will be enjoying the system. The Yamaha 2040 has the ability to have 2 subs so later, if I get into a larger space, I can just add another Ultra. Thanks again.

F

fourdegrees

Audiophyte
Gene,

In you Aperion Verus Grand bookshelf review you listed as a con, "Raises the bar too high for the competition." How do you feel the SVS Ultra Bookshelf Speakers compete with the Verus Grand bookshelves?

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
Gene,

In you Aperion Verus Grand bookshelf review you listed as a con, "Raises the bar too high for the competition." How do you feel the SVS Ultra Bookshelf Speakers compete with the Verus Grand bookshelves?
I don't know about Gene's opinion, and I haven't heard them side by side, or even in the same room, but I live just 1 hour away from Aperion, and have stopped by their showroom once or twice (I need to get to their new location, but haven't had a chance yet). The Verus Grand are the real deal. There's no question that the SVS are just as good, but without having the two side by side, it would be tough to say which I prefer the sound of. Now, I like the look of the SVS better with the diamond bevel face, but other might prefer the curved aperions. The svs are slightly most costly, but both of these speakers are great bargains. I'm entering year 2 of my new speaker purchase decision making process (it took me 3-4 years to buy a subwoofer) and despite being willing to spend $750 per speaker, both of these cost less and are still very much in consideration.

Not the answer you were likely looking for, but given the return policy on both Aperion and SVS's products, if your interested, you might as well give them both a listen.

paul.arhitex

paul.arhitex

Audioholic Intern
Guys dose any of you have the schematics of this crossover or other details? svs ultra bookshelf

D

dragonwhipstail

Enthusiast
Love to hear your take on the SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers compare to the RSL bookshelf speakers since you were able to review them both. SVS and RSL have a fabulous finish and good designs, but for home theater, which do you believe would be better? Or is the question hard to answer since speaker sound is subjective to each listener. Thanks for any advice.

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
How would you compare these speakers to the Elac Uni-fi UF5's? My room is 1330sq.ft. I'm considering downgrading to bookshelf speakers

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis