Help with toroidal transformer specs!

E

eduardokbb

Enthusiast
Well, I bought a pair of toroidal transformers to use in an amplifier project I'm building and I'm not really sure how I can use it properly. The primary windings should receive a 120V ac. It can output 60V ac using red/yellow wires, or 24V ac using orange/white wires.
I want to know if I can do the following:
Use red/yellow wiring to feed my power supply and orange/orange to feed my current limiter board. Below you can see the datasheet of my transformer.
transformer.jpg
Sorry for this dumb question, but when you don't know much about electronics and you want to do an amplifier project, sometimes you have to do such questions to don't burn all your modules, haha!

Thanks for your attention and sorry for bad english!

Peace,
Eduardo Barth

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well, I bought a pair of toroidal transformers to use in an amplifier project I'm building and I'm not really sure how I can use it properly. The primary windings should receive a 120V ac. It can output 60V ac using red/yellow wires, or 24V ac using orange/white wires.
I want to know if I can do the following:
Use red/yellow wiring to feed my power supply and orange/orange to feed my current limiter board. Below you can see the datasheet of my transformer.
View attachment 13936
Sorry for this dumb question, but when you don't know much about electronics and you want to do an amplifier project, sometimes you have to do such questions to don't burn all your modules, haha!

Thanks for your attention and sorry for bad english!

Peace,
Eduardo Barth
You have 60 volts AC across the reds. You have 30 volts across either of the reds and yellow.

You have 24 volts across the the orange wires, and 12 volts across either orange and the white.

You can rectify the 60 volt and the 24 volt wiring like this: -

or like this: -

Note the center tap is not used.

You can only rectify the 30 and 12 volt taps like this: -

Since there is no center tap.

I don't know what voltages you need, but those are your only options with that transformer. I don't know what circuits you are using but with a lot of modern circuits, power supply regulation is required. The power supplies I have shown are unregulated.

E

eduardokbb

Enthusiast
Are you sure that I have 60V across the reds and 30 across either red and yellow? Using a multitester (multimeter) and reading both reds, it shows 136v ac. Reading either red and yellow it shows 68v ac (this difference of 8 volts is explained because it waits a 120v ac input, but in my city it's a little above that). The same happens to the 24v ac, reading the oranges it shows 56v ac and reading either orange and white shows me 28v ac.
What this transformer should do is to power a current limiter that needs 30~60 volts ac to operate properly and to power a power supply board that should receive something around 65v ac to work properly.
My thoughts were: I will use both oranges to power the current limiter and one red/yellow to feed my power supply. According to my multitester readings, it should work fine. What I wanted to know is if my transformer could output all I need at the same time.
But now I'm a little confused by what you said, because you, TLS Guy (I'm sorry but I still don't know your name), is a guru when it comes to electronics and audio subjects. To be honest, I don't really understand the diagrams you showed me. Thanks for your attention! I'm really appreciating the help you're providing me here at Audioholics.

Peace,
Eduardo Barth.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Are you sure that I have 60V across the reds and 30 across either red and yellow? Using a multitester (multimeter) and reading both reds, it shows 136v ac. Reading either red and yellow it shows 68v ac (this difference of 8 volts is explained because it waits a 120v ac input, but in my city it's a little above that). The same happens to the 24v ac, reading the oranges it shows 56v ac and reading either orange and white shows me 28v ac.
What this transformer should do is to power a current limiter that needs 30~60 volts ac to operate properly and to power a power supply board that should receive something around 65v ac to work properly.
My thoughts were: I will use both oranges to power the current limiter and one red/yellow to feed my power supply. According to my multitester readings, it should work fine. What I wanted to know is if my transformer could output all I need at the same time.
But now I'm a little confused by what you said, because you, TLS Guy (I'm sorry but I still don't know your name), is a guru when it comes to electronics and audio subjects. To be honest, I don't really understand the diagrams you showed me. Thanks for your attention! I'm really appreciating the help you're providing me here at Audioholics.

Peace,
Eduardo Barth.
You will need to use a
In that case the voltages are reference to the center tap, not the voltage across the windings, which is the usual way of showing it. In which case all voltages will be double what I quoted you.

Use a red and yellow for the power supply board, and both oranges for the current limiter.

My problem is that I do not know the circuit for the rectifier circuits on the boards. Do you know if they require a neutral center tap? If not then the rectifiers are bridge type full wave rectification, and what I told you will work.

E

eduardokbb

Enthusiast
I'll have a look and see if they are full wave rectification or not. Perhaps this datasheet isn't showing things the usual way because it's from 1999. Things may have changed a little in 15 years, haha! Thanks again for your explanations, TLS Guy. I'll be back to report how this ended. Also, I think I'll open a thread to share my building with the Audioholics community, just need to know where is the adequate area to do that.

Peace,
Eduardo Barth.

J

John Roger

Audiophyte
I would like some help regarding buying of Toroidal power transformer but not sure about suppliers credentials. i live in Roseville and will google about this. Previously i was thinking of buying a laminate transformer but Toroidal transformers are smaller than laminate transformers, so my preference would be toroidal transformer.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I would like some help regarding buying of Toroidal power transformer but not sure about suppliers credentials. i live in Roseville and will google about this. Previously i was thinking of buying a laminate transformer but Toroidal transformers are smaller than laminate transformers, so my preference would be toroidal transformer.
What is the intended application and desired specification?

Is that Roseville Minnesota you live in?

J

John Roger

Audiophyte
Thanks guys for your reply. As for the specification, i am looking for a custom toroidal transformer. A few of my friends suggested Cortec. Let me check out their products, what are their credentials. I will get back to you guys once i have zeroed in on the ideal supplier.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks guys for your reply. As for the specification, i am looking for a custom toroidal transformer. A few of my friends suggested Cortec. Let me check out their products, what are their credentials. I will get back to you guys once i have zeroed in on the ideal supplier.
As stated above we could help you if we knew what you are designing. What was the point of posting if you did not tell us primary and secondary voltage/current requirements and taps required?

Why does this have to be custom? There are a huge number of transformers out there and a lot of good manufacturers.

I have had good luck with Plitron. They are of excellent quality. There is also Hammond and Farnell who have made transformers for years.

You exhaust all off the shelf possibilities before ordering a custom transformer.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis