Using a Mixer as a Preamp

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm just curious is anyone out there uses a pro-level mixer as their pre-amp.

Any reason to NOT do this? To me, it seems like it serves pretty much the same function (only a mixer doesn't select channels with buttons but knobs/volume instead).

Is it mostly the form-factor for a mixer and the normal default connections on the mixer that keeps them out of the consumer market?

Mixers do tend to allow for finer "tone" controls than preamps (I know it's heresy to an audiophile to use tone controls).

I have a Yammy mixer that actually has some RCA inputs on it too. I use it for my drum machine/synth, but I can't see any reason that it wouldn't make a fine pre-amp (and cost only $100!). Does anyone disagree?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldn't want all them tone controls in the line of my signals... There are ways around pre amps,
Put a TC-716 with a Control Freak and for around $80 you can have a few sources and switch it how ever you like.. I have a couple tc-716's they are awesome... It adds and takes away nothing from the source material, and I recently got a control freak and that also is silent, I have to say that simple volume control knob is awesome, its silent, and so well made it seems to be a waste, lol...
As most of you know I believe in the least amount of switches, filters, ect in the signal path, so I looked inside the TC716 and you can not get much simpler than that, and its well made. It has no set input or output locations. So you can plug your inputs into any of the rca spots and your output into any, as long as you depress you outputs number the amp will get the signal from what ever other output number you select...
Whats nice about this is 1-its super direct, 2 its inexpensive, and 3 you can choose multiple inputs at once or multiple outputs... So if you have a cd player on one and a microphone on another you can sing along or play Karaoke what ever you are into, you can do super fast A/B comparisons if you want to compare a set of speakers and have 2 matching amps or if you want to compare cd vs mp3 vs vinyl with the same song, ect its endless....

So like I said no need for a preamp, use the Control Freak with a switching box and IMO it will perform better and do more than a preamp, WITH NO POWER circuits....
http://www.amazon.com/TC-716-Stereo-Selector-BLACK-VERSION/dp/B0001F347K/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1407937480&sr=8-22&keywords=rca+selector
https://emotiva.com/products/electronics/control-freak

want to plug in a pc add a dac http://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Coaxial-Converter-Decoder-Analogue/dp/B00FEDHHKE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407938744&sr=8-2&keywords=muse+dac
want to add a turntable add this guy Amazon.com: Behringer PP400 Ultra-Compact Phono Preamp: Musical Instruments TCC also makes one that matches the switcher Amazon.com: TCC TC-750 BLACK Audiophile Phono Preamp, Pre-amp (Preamplifier): Electronics

you can have a pretty versatile system for under $150, for another $60 add a headphone amp and you can have your speakers going as well as a set of headphones both with separate volume controls http://www.amazon.com/Bravo-Audio-V2-Multi-Hybrid-Headphone/dp/B00ADR2DTG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1407939823&sr=8-4&keywords=headphone+amp ... Also you don't need to spend $50 on the emotiva control, but its a nice unit, Pac and a few other companies make them for around $15... http://www.amazon.com/PAC-LC-1-Remote-Amplifier-Controller/dp/B0002J226O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407938976&sr=8-1&keywords=volume+control+rca

If you are really motivated you can get one of them project boxes and install it all inside there, my brother did this a while back but he bought all the parts and soldered it all up, a very simple preamp system, I think he spent around $80 total with 10 inputs.. Manual switched only power was used for phono preamp wich had a power switch to shut off all the power when it wasnt being used..

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks IMC.

I'm thinking that when I have some time I'll compare my Yammy Mixer to my Emo USP-1, just for fun.

I'm not currently considering the mixer in my music system because I need it elsewhere. I was just curious for other opinions on the subject.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks IMC.

I'm thinking that when I have some time I'll compare my Yammy Mixer to my Emo USP-1, just for fun.

I'm not currently considering the mixer in my music system because I need it elsewhere. I was just curious for other opinions on the subject.
That is the only way to figure out if you like it or if it works...

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Any reason to NOT do this? To me, it seems like it serves pretty much the same function...
Not exactly. A mixer is designed to simultaneously blend all the inputs into a single output, while a home audio pre amp selects between the inputs.

There are quite a few disadvantages to using a mixer in a home system, starting with the lack of a remote control.

In addition, whatever EQ you want to employ for the global system, you have to apply it to each input independently. Unless you have mute switches for the inputs, you also have to run the input slider up for each channel you want to use (and to the right setting), and run the slider down for the last input used. Manually I might add, since (as noted) there is no remote control.

Unless you have an antiseptically clean home, dusting around the myriad of knobs will prove to be a chore.

There is also no decoding for Dolby Digital, so you’re stuck with two-channel for everything.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I love my Yamaha stereo mixer for karaoke. But other than that, I wouldn't use it for anything else. I have not tried mixers costing over $200. But the audio signal is just not anywhere as clean as even $200 AVR.

Everything has it's intended use. Mixers are for pro-style live music like DJ, PA, and karaoke, not for audiophile music or movies.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
I know plenty of installers that use pro gear for their setup and have great success. Not necessarily a mixer but a true board with eq for every channel.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Mixers can be very clean. Remember that your music is made with mixers. If it is what you have and can fill the role, there is no reason not to use it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Mixers can be very clean. Remember that your music is made with mixers. If it is what you have and can fill the role, there is no reason not to use it.
That depends on the actual mixer. I am sure mixers used to master the music cost a lot more than the $200-$400 variety. :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i can tell you why i use a mixer in one of my systems ...

1) i needed somewhere i could plug my headphones without killing the sound of the main speakers i.e. plugging headphones on the integrated amp turns off main speakers
2) USB to mixer is very convenient and more reliable than 3.5mm adapter

T

timmay8612

Audioholic
I'm no expert, but mixers used to record music are actually just controllers these days. They're controller interfaces that correspond to digital values in software like pro tools. Its more efficient than using a mouse to adjust the values, but in theory they function the same way. The actual mixing process and signal path goes through the "mixer" straight into the computer via a connection that I presume is still some type of USB or firewire, even on the really large boards. That'd be why our recordings sound so clean.

Having said that, I've heard some mighty clean sounding live mixing consoles, but again we're talking into the thousands, and often twenty thousands of dollars. Digital mixing boards are all the rage for live sound so you can take advantage of software instruments and other nifty features. Having said that, I've done a very little (read VERY little) mixing on a Midas Verona, which I've been told Coldplay has used on tour at some point. A very fine tool indeed, but certainly not what I'd want in my house.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis