Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Looking for some opinions on the Triangle Titus 202 bookshelf's.

Before I purchased my KEF LS50's & Epos Epic 2's I had these speakers on my radar after reading some internet reviews and bookshelf shootouts. Someone has a pair for sale locally and I'm thinking of calling him and asking for a demo. I'm not going to waste his time if they were just internet hype at the time and keep in mind that they are now close to 13 years after production. Has bookshelf technology/design/driver/materials improved so dramatically in the intervening years, that I should discount them? Also what's a fair price?

Of course I need these speakers like a hole in my head ... and if I'm not careful the missus will be more than happy to oblige :D ... but I'm thinking of replacing the PSB Alpha B1's in the kitchen or the PSB Image B4's in the bedroom.

Thanks guys/gals?

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
They're made in France or they were in 2002 when this model was in production. The reviews ... those 2 I've read already ... overall were very positive, with the occasional caveat that some people found them "bright", like the Focal's, another French speaker manufacturer. For me that's not a problem, since I own a complete 1027Be L+R and their associated series center & surrounds for my HT; the SVS PB12-NSD sub being the exception.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Just responded with the owner, via e-mail, trying to setup a time; either tomorrow or Sunday.

Boy, I hope they suck; otherwise I'm doomed. :D

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Initial impressions of Triangle Titus 202 speakers

Once in a while God smiles.

Just got back from demoing and reluctantly purchasing the Triangle Titus 202’s. I say reluctantly because the owner’s equipment and speaker placement wasn’t optimal by any stretch; an old Sony portable CD player, a newish Yamaha 75W AVR, cheap 20 AWG speaker cable and setup about 5 feet apart on short 24” speaker stands. To add insult to injury he had one speaker pointing straight ahead and the other at a 45 degree angle and the left side of the room was open to his kitchen area. I politely asked if I could put the speakers atop his Klipsch floor standers … they were also angled at zero/45 degrees … so I could hear them at ear level and he politely refused. Oh well. I put in my reference CD in the weenie/crap Sony unit and go straight to track 8. Well they sound clean and neutral but I wasn’t exactly doing cartwheels. I disconnect his 3.5mm cable from the Sony CD player and hook up my Blackberry and play some 320kb MP3 files and I hear a noticeable improvement. The room & setup is really skewing the sound but what’s the saying nowadays, it is what it is. I decide I’m going to pass on them at the price he’s asking.

Like a used car salesman he asks, how much would it take to get me in the driver’s seat. Now I’m stumped. Could all those internet reviews been wrong, is the crossover damaged? Aesthetically they’re clean as a whistle, no visible root rot on the mid/bass speaker. He said he was using them as rear surrounds the last 5 years. He picked them up in Belgium in 2005, so they have the better tweeter Triangle replaced in 2004 and they don’t sound sibilant by any stretch. I figure, what the hell and offer him half the asking price. He huddles with his wife and they proceed to discuss the matter in Chinese. They counter that I add another $75 and we have a deal. I shake my head no and start heading to the door since I’m not exactly all in on this. I literally put my hand on the door on the way out and he says, ok they’re yours.

Crap!!! :eek: But I gave my word and feel honor bound to complete the deal. I pack them up and head home to face the music, literally & figuratively. I told the missus before leaving that unless they were as good as the Epos M12.2’s, which she liked, and significantly cheaper I wasn’t going to buy them. Now I feel like Ralph Cramden when he faces the camera and bellows, I GOTTA A BIG MOUTH!

Guess who’s at the front door when I get home? Yup … Attila the Nun. She told me she was going down to her sister’s house and go shopping and wouldn’t be home till 3 this afternoon. She lied!!! :D Nah, she just changed her mind; too cold for shopping … that’s a first … and let’s listen to your … everything is mine unless the price is right and worth it; in which case it's “ours” … new toys. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. :eek: I give her a sheepish look and feign fatigue. Instantly her hubby deceit radar is triggered and she slyly suggests I set the speakers up so she can listen to them and I can go rest. Okie Dokie sweetheart. I disconnect the LS50’s and fire up the Triangle’s, while I die a million deaths till I put in my reference CD.

Holy $hit on a Stick! :eek: They sound great. :) She tells me, you’re right, they sound like those Epos we listened to at Quest for Sound, without being too bright and you got them for half the price; good boy. And like a grateful puppy who hasn’t been swatted with the newspaper I’ve got a $hit eating grin on my face. I guess the internet reviews and the salesman at Quest for Sound were pretty accurate in their description.

Like I said at the beginning of the review, once in a while God smiles.

From listening to them the last 3 hours, I more than happy; I’m elated. They have the same detail and mid-bass clarity that made me fall in the love with the Epos M12.2’s without the fatigue factor. Sorry to go on about the purchase and my personal life. I’ll write up my further impressions next week with a little more detail and some pics.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Impressions of the Triangle Titus 202 bookshelf speakers

Sound:
Given the age of the speakers (9 years old) and the previous owner’s description of their use, I disregarded the need for a break in period evaluation, for those of you out there who feel it’s a prerequisite. The first thing I noticed was how efficient these speakers are. It doesn’t take much to drive them. I dropped my usual volume setting of -8db to -13 to get the same sound level. I initially set them up in my office (14’x14’), where I temporarily decommissioned the LS50’s, connected to my Yamaha RX-V2700 (140W). The source material consisted of high bit MP3/Flac files from my PC Asus MB audio out and CD’s, on a Panasonic DMPBD65 Bluray player, both run to the Yammy AVR.

If you’re looking for deep bass you will have to add a sub. Not unusual for a bookshelf speaker this size but more so for this model, compared to my Epos Epic 2’s, which I have running in tandem with a Velodyne sub. Where these speakers do shine though is in the mid-range region and the highs, especially the highs compared to the Epic 2’s. There is no colorization or in your face oomph, like some Paradigm models; the Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v.5 comes to mind … not that there is anything wrong with that. :) In a perfect world I would take the Epic 2’s mid-range (slightly more depth) and the Titus 202’s tweeter (more detail) and ride off into the sunset.

I moved them up to my bedroom (20’x20’), their intended destination and was pleasantly surprised to find that I may not need to add a sub at all, since the soundstage was more than adequate for my tastes. I say surprised because the speakers are set 14’ apart compared to the 8’ separation, down in my office. Go figure!. Which brings me to another feature of the 202’s and that is, how equipment dependent they are; in this case, an old Yamaha RX-V1070 AVR (110W). The sound was less bright compared to when they were hooked up to the 2700 but the mid-range retained the same neutral detailed sound like they did down in my office. I suspect and the various internet reviews … see BoredSysAdmin's links post above … echoed that the 202’s are very chameleon like, depending on what drives them and may be more suited for low power tube amps. While I have no plans on getting a low power tube amp, I will be getting a Topping TP60 to replace the 1070 hopefully soon, and I’m looking forward to see how the sound changes again.

Fit & Finish:

Nice … not Salk/Joseph Audio/Ascend Acoustics veneer quality nice but at this price range its above average. Very similar to the Wharfdale Denton’s with an attractive … to me … spacious curved grill. Prince’s Mawa approves. I give them a 7 on the knuckle rap test and the enclosures look well taut. BTW if you decide to go on the hunt for the 202’s I would try to get their latter models since they have banana plug connectors vs. the initial production models, which only accepted bare wire or Y spade connections.

Summary:

The impetus for buying these speakers was my obsession to own a pair of Epos M12.2’s for a 4th two channel system. While searching for a pair to buy I kept noticing that the Triangle Titus 202’s name kept popping up and how similar they were. My quest is over; mission accomplished. If there is any difference it might be that the 202’s have a slightly lesser, and I mean slight, difference in the depth of the soundstage. The imaging, detailed highs and the fast dynamics of M12.2’s are all there.

Fini?
I doubt it. There is never a Fini for an audioholic.

As usual, thanks for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Beautiful speakers. Enjoy them and stop hiding the tweeter!:) I loved your story telling and review.:cool:

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Oops! I forgot. Here you go. :)

Glad you liked the "storytelling". :D I don't pretend to know all the technical aspects of speaker design and their pluses or minuses to give a "review", so I concentrate on giving what my "impressions" are. I doubt Stereophile magazine is going to be calling anytime soon. ;)

L

ljbrandt

Audioholic Intern
This thread has me really interested in these Triangles! Just curious, but after 6 months, how do you like them? I also wonder how the newer versions compare to these older ones...

Other speakers I'm considering:

Parker Audio Troll Signatures
Tetra 120u
3A MM De Capo's

Last edited:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
This thread has me really interested in these Triangles! Just curious, but after 6 months, how do you like them? I also wonder how the newer versions compare to these older ones...

Other speakers I'm considering:

Parker Audio Troll Signatures
Tetra 120u
3A MM De Capo's
The Triangle Titus 202’s were a one-off buy for me. Prior to my demo & purchase I had never heard any of the Triangle models and it’s the only one I’ve heard to date. All of my interest was based on purchasing a pair of Epos M12.2’s and during my research I kept seeing comparisons to the 202’s, as a cost conscious alternative, albeit without the deeper bass.

During my recent speaker merry-go-round I’ve moved them into my kitchen (13’x17’), placed on a counter-top with the cabinets above, causing a pseudo-bass reflex port effect in addition to the built-in reflex port in the back, creating a great soundstage without the need of a sub. My wife’s ears are in much better shape than mine and she’s very sensitive to bright speakers, an attribute that the 202’s have been accused of by some users, but she loves them in there and has never once complained of sibilance.

In regard to the other speakers you’re considering, I don’t have a clue.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis