Bryceo

Banned
Anyone got one?
Please post photos I wanna build one myself

Sent from my iPhone 5

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
People still build computers? I haven't made one in 10 years.
Besides Laptop and Ipad's I haven't bought a computer in over 10 years, been building them since 2003

My current Build: (Just Finished, used some old and new stuff)

Corsair 900D Case (Full Tower Case and then some) - I just like to have room to work, will be adding water cooling soon
Intel Core I7 4790K CPU
MSI Mpower Z97AC Motherboard
Cooler Master CPU Cooler
16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper CAS 9
Corsair 1200w Modular Power Supply
ASUS AMD 290x 3GB GPU (got a great deal open box, otherwise would have gone NVidia)
Samsung 512G Pro SSD Drive
Corsair Force 4 256G SSD Drive
Intel 80GB 330 SSD Drive
2x 3TB Western Digital Black HD (used to back up my NAS)
1TB External Iomega Drive
Creative X-Fi Pro Gamer Pcie sound card
Emotiva Airmotiv 4 Speakers
Dell 27" WQHD U2713H Monitor

Having difficulty uploading pictures will try shortly

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I like full tower cases for the room to work in as well. It makes wire management and component installation much easier. It also helps with cooling. What's more it usually allows more connectivity if the MB asks for more than just the back plate for USB and other connections. It also helps with noise reduction because full towers allow for 120 mm and greater fans which are not as noisy as 80 and 90 mm fans.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Besides Laptop and Ipad's I haven't bought a computer in over 10 years, been building them since 2003

My current Build: (Just Finished, used some old and new stuff)

Corsair 900D Case (Full Tower Case and then some) - I just like to have room to work, will be adding water cooling soon
Intel Core I7 4790K CPU
MSI Mpower Z97AC Motherboard
Cooler Master CPU Cooler
16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper CAS 9
Corsair 1200w Modular Power Supply
ASUS AMD 290x 3GB GPU (got a great deal open box, otherwise would have gone NVidia)
Samsung 512G Pro SSD Drive
Corsair Force 4 256G SSD Drive
Intel 80GB 330 SSD Drive
2x 3TB Western Digital Black HD (used to back up my NAS)
1TB External Iomega Drive
Creative X-Fi Pro Gamer Pcie sound card
Emotiva Airmotiv 4 Speakers
Dell 27" WQHD U2713H Monitor

Having difficulty uploading pictures will try shortly
Nice system! What OS are you running?

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
I also have an iPad and mac laptop but I'd like to build a tower computer for gameing only

Sent from my iPhone 5

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Nice system! What OS are you running?
Thanks

Windows 8.1 Pro, I have had it since release. Was seriously considering staying with 7, but wasn't sure if AMD Mantle would support it at the time.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I also have an iPad and mac laptop but I'd like to build a tower computer for gameing only

Sent from my iPhone 5
If you are going to build a PC for gaming, what is your budget?
One of the biggest expenses on any gamming PC build is your video card. This also depends on what resolution you are gong to be gaming at

I.E.

My monitor is 2560x1440 which is demanding on a video card which is why I went with a top end card
If you are running less resolution you could get away with less

Basic Tips:

1. Determine your budget: Lower end gaming rig is around $600 to a higher end which can reach about 3K
2. Determine your monitor and resolution
3. Very highly recommend getting an SSD drive for OS, huge difference in boot up time and gaming
4. If you are planning to Overclock, then invest in a solid aftermarket cooler for the CPU
5. If it's in your budget, I strongly recommend a modular power supply (where you only plug in the cables you need) makes the build so much cleaner
6. You really don't need an aftermarket sound card because there are really strong ones for gaming on most motherboards
7. I have build PCs with ASUS / EVGA / MSI / GIGABYTE motherboards and have noticed minimal difference between all, though I would stay away from VGA

Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker

This link will help you to get an idea of components to build a PC. It is extremely easy to do, as long as you can read and know how to plug things in, its really simple. Just make sure to follow instructions. Motherboards of today are pretty much idiot proof.

I could go on for a long time, but really determine you budget and find PC Parts stores that are in Australia because I have no idea.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If you are going to build a PC for gaming, what is your budget?
One of the biggest expenses on any gamming PC build is your video card. This also depends on what resolution you are gong to be gaming at

I.E.

My monitor is 2560x1440 which is demanding on a video card which is why I went with a top end card
If you are running less resolution you could get away with less

Basic Tips:

1. Determine your budget: Lower end gaming rig is around $600 to a higher end which can reach about 3K
2. Determine your monitor and resolution
3. Very highly recommend getting an SSD drive for OS, huge difference in boot up time and gaming
4. If you are planning to Overclock, then invest in a solid aftermarket cooler for the CPU
5. If it's in your budget, I strongly recommend a modular power supply (where you only plug in the cables you need) makes the build so much cleaner
6. You really don't need an aftermarket sound card because there are really strong ones for gaming on most motherboards
7. I have build PCs with ASUS / EVGA / MSI / GIGABYTE motherboards and have noticed minimal difference between all, though I would stay away from VGA

Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker

This link will help you to get an idea of components to build a PC. It is extremely easy to do, as long as you can read and know how to plug things in, its really simple. Just make sure to follow instructions. Motherboards of today are pretty much idiot proof.

I could go on for a long time, but really determine you budget and find PC Parts stores that are in Australia because I have no idea.
Personally, I have had a few MSI Mobos fail on me (on computers at work), so I personally steer clear of MSI mobos (but I do have an MSI vid card with no problems).

I have Asus mobo at home, Asus has not let me down yet! (mobo, nexus 7, FHD10 tablet, router, etc)

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Personally, I have had a few MSI Mobos fail on me (on computers at work), so I personally steer clear of MSI mobos (but I do have an MSI vid card with no problems).

I have Asus mobo at home, Asus has not let me down yet! (mobo, nexus 7, FHD10 tablet, router, etc)

I have only had one motherboard go bad, it was ASUS the Sabertooth Z77. It had a 5 year warranty and they swapped it out and I sold it

My last 5 builds have been MSI motherboards
2 for my Godson and Friend
1 For my work buddy
2 For me went from Z77 to Z97 MPower

0 Problems easiest builds I have done. I have had 2 Asus boards 2 Gigbyte Boards and 1 Evga board in the past besides that. I build pretty much every 2 years or so.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have only had one motherboard go bad, it was ASUS the Sabertooth Z77. It had a 5 year warranty and they swapped it out and I sold it

My last 5 builds have been MSI motherboards
2 for my Godson and Friend
1 For my work buddy
2 For me went from Z77 to Z97 MPower

0 Problems easiest builds I have done. I have had 2 Asus boards 2 Gigbyte Boards and 1 Evga board in the past besides that. I build pretty much every 2 years or so.
Well, i suppose it's good to know that other people have had better luck with MSI than me. Just my personal experience says to stay away fro MSI mobos, but like I said, their other products have been A-OK for me.

Also funny that you had the Asus failure. That may just be the first problem with Asus that I have heard about.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
If that is US Dollars that is insane. You can pretty much build any PC you want for that price

- SLI 780TI
- double or triple monitor setup
- Liquid cooled
etc...

On a side note, with that budget I would wait until late Q3 and pick up the 2011 intel socket successor to the X79 motherboards. If you are going to run SLI, which I suggest you are better off with this series due to the extra pipelines with the PCIe bus. The successor will also use DDR4 Memory among other features. By that time there should be a new video card to compliment the system.

That is just my two cents. 5K can pretty much build any system you want.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Not including Monitor, which you still have about 1k for, here is a current system with that configuration. But to be honest I would wait for the next generation 2011 CPU

Taken from Newegg.com but there are better prices out there

Product Description

Savings

Total Price

COOLER MASTER COSMOS II RC-1200-KKN1 Black Steel ATX Super Tower Computer Case COOLER MASTER COSMOS II RC-1200-KKN1 Black Steel ATX Super Tower Computer Case Item #: 9B-11-119-252Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$50.00 Instant

$349.99$299.99
WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Item #: 9B-22-236-624Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$20.00 Instant

$319.98$279.98($139.99 each)
EVGA 03G-P4-2884-KR GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support w/EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card EVGA 03G-P4-2884-KR GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support w/EVGA ACX Cooler Video ... Item #: 9B-14-487-003Return Policy: VGA Replacement Only Return Policy $10.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$1,459.98($729.99 each)
NVIDIA Gift - Watch Dogs NVIDIA Gift - Watch Dogs Item #: 9B-00-995-199Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$59.99 Saving

$119.98$0.00($0.00 each)
CORSAIR AXi series AX1200i 1200W Digital ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready CORSAIR AXi series AX1200i 1200W Digital ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full ... Item #: 9B-17-139-039Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$70.00 Instant

$399.99$329.99
Corsair Vengeance K95 CH-9000020-NA Black/Metal USB 2.0 Wired Gaming Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95 CH-9000020-NA Black/Metal USB 2.0 Wired Gaming Keyboard Item #: 9B-23-816-013Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$20.00 Instant

$149.99$129.99
LOGITECH G502 Proteus Core Tunable Gaming Mouse LOGITECH G502 Proteus Core Tunable Gaming Mouse Item #: 9B-26-104-934Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$79.99
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM Item #: 9B-35-100-007Return Policy: Consumable Item Refund Only Return Policy -$3.49 Instant

$11.99$8.50
GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 WIFI-BK LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 WIFI-BK LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard Item #: 9B-13-128-700Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy -$20.00 Instant

$379.99$359.99
Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I74790K Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I74790K Item #: 9B-19-117-369Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy -$10.00 Instant

$349.99$339.99
CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 Extreme Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 280mm CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 Extreme Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 280mm Item #: 9B-35-181-035Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$20.00 Instant

$134.99$114.99
Pioneer Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BDR-2209 Pioneer Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BDR-2209 Item #: 9B-27-129-076Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$85.99
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-MTE1T0BW mSATA 1TB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-MTE1T0BW mSATA 1TB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Item #: 9B-20-147-318Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy -$138.00 Instant

$599.99$461.99
Subtotal: $3,951.37

Forgot Memory:
G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2666 (PC3 21300) Desktop Memory Model F3-2666C11D-16GTXD $229.99

Total: $4181.36 (with plenty of options to add or reduce cost)

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
First time trying to use photobucket (wow they make it easy)
I still use my LG Combo Blu Ray and HD DVD drive reader CDRW , because I sill have some leftover HDDVDs from back in the day when I bought the Xbox 360 HDDVD drive.

Last edited:
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I have been REALLY happy with Asus motherboards and GPU's (they seem very reliable in my experience). I also have a preference towards G.Skill for RAM, Seasonic power supplies and Plextor SSD's.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
I built a new one in july this year... will post pictures when I get home.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
People still build computers? I haven't made one in 10 years.
Well it's time you built another. I have two PCs in my system, the audio workstation and my HTPC. I would not be without either.
Other ways of doing things are slow frustrating and nowhere near as trouble free. I'm so frustrated at our Eagan home with inferior Linux boxes, I think I will build an HTPC for that system as well.

Don't any body tell you there is no reason for them any more. That is bunk. They are by far the best way of catching whatever is on the Internet and streaming and interfacing with your storage. Everything else is junk or a toy and pop geared at that.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
I built my "gaming" computer last year (about this time actually).

See it here

And I just finished my HTPC/Server computer last week.

See it here (Post 42 is when I ordered parts)

My main computer that I built last year is kind of a do-it-all system which to me means its built more as a gaming PC since those have the power for just about anything. It has 32GB of memory since I do photo editing on it, but in gaming it uses less than 6GB. Currently I have the CPU clocked to 4.3Ghz, and the video card is overclocked as well (cant remember the speed). I had the memory up just a tick, but I think its back to stock now. All in all its a GREAT system, and I am very happy with it. I built it to do just about anything I could think of, and it has done it all very well. I want something even more powerful (i7, 980's in SLI, etc.) but I probably will just build something completely new in a few years. I may swap to larger SSD's, but that's probably all on this machine. Maybe add a second video card if they come down enough in price, but its not needed right now.

The HTPC is still new, but so far has been GREAT!!! I also am running FlexRAID in it which is why I also call it my "server". The FlexRAID set up is a 4TB parity drive, and a 3TB and 4TB drive for storage right now. This is for holding all of my movies, music, and another location for photos and important documents that need to be backed up in multiple locations. For this build I consulted a lot on here, but also followed the AssassinHTPC guides for both hardware and software. I think that had a massive bearing on how smooth this build has been. I am good with hardware, software is where I have issues, but not a single one on this build! Everything works just like it should, and worked from the start!

I love building computers, and I think it is very viable even today. You can be so much more specific on parts when building your own system. You dont have to make any sacrifices, or caveats based on someones preconfigured systems. Never mind that they come clear of any and all bloat ware when you build yourself :)

I wish I had a $5k budget, you can pretty much do whatever you want with that kind of money! Good luck, and keep us posted!

Sean

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis