Pioneer's new speaker line?

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
Just heard that Pioneer will be introducing a new speaker line next week. This would include a true 3-way bookshelf with a concentric driver. I'm really looking forward to these. Anybody else have any info?

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So this might be the "mid level" Andrew Jones hinted at previously? Should be interesting.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
:eek:Nice looking foward to seeing these. I won't need these though, got something a brewing and coming soon.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Two channels, one direct and one surround, in each tower and bookshelf. That's interesting. Wonder if I'd get the same effect by flipping my surrounds up and pointing them at the ceiling? :>

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Two channels, one direct and one surround, in each tower and bookshelf. That's interesting. Wonder if I'd get the same effect by flipping my surrounds up and pointing them at the ceiling? :>
The surround part will have a separate connection, on the back above the port.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Sub is now upgraded from 8" to 10" !! Wohoooo. Not "elite" but still i expect a vast improvement. Probably a pair of new 10" sub would be ok in medium size room and based on previous pricing model, they should still be in affordable price point

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
To me, these just went from "exciting" to "meh" :rolleyes:
They need to release a model without the top-firing driver :confused:

I would think that these would ONLY be useful with Atmos material. They killed any thoughts of using these as 2 channel (for me at least)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

They killed any thoughts of using these as 2 channel (for me at least)
I also would like to see a regular bookshelf model - in stereo mode, the thought of that
top driver would still annoy me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
To me, these just went from "exciting" to "meh" :rolleyes:

I would think that these would ONLY be useful with Atmos material. They killed any thoughts of using these as 2 channel (for me at least)
Atmos material AND processing, but it sounds potentially more interesting to me than 11.2 :D I don't plan on Atmos at home anytime soon though, so these are only on my curiosity list.

Atmos isn't even enabled yet on their receivers:

The SC-85 ($1,600), SC-87 ($2,000) and SC-89 ($3,000) will be available in the US in the fall and require a firmware update coming before the end of the year to unlock its Atmos-capabilities.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
The height channel doesn't have to be connected when using an non atmos avr. Waiting to hear impressions from the show.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The height channel doesn't have to be connected when using an non atmos avr. Waiting to hear impressions from the show.
Yeah, but then you are wasting money on a driver that you aren't using. I prefer to spend my $ on something that I will actually use. I'll pass on these.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
$4750 Price includes SC-85 AVR - which msrp priced (according to cnet) at $1600.
So 5.1 [MSRP] for Pioneer elite is about $3150 just for speakers, which is not that cheap, but not too crazy ether.
I do expect prices to be reduced within short time frame (about 6 months) to probably 50% off msrp
Sub wise, it's hard to see the value of Pio new Sub vs spec similar SVS SB1000
I am willing to bet that it has no chance vs mere $50 pricier LFM-1 EX

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Sub wise, it's hard to see the value of Pio new Sub vs spec similar SVS SB1000
I am willing to bet that it has no chance vs mere $50 pricier LFM-1 EX
The sub sure looks better than their budget-friendly 8 inch.

However, I would still go the ID route.

I believe that Pioneer still plans to push their new product through Best Buy Magnolia

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
Yeah, but then you are wasting money on a driver that you aren't using. I prefer to spend my $ on something that I will actually use. I'll pass on these.
For a dedicated audio-only system, yes. But, I think it'll appeal to many who have combined HT and Audio rooms, it might be the best of both worlds. Also, I don't know of any true 3-way bookshelves for $750/pr, certainly not with concentric drivers. I'm still pretty interested in hearing how these sound.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
For a dedicated audio-only system, yes. But, I think it'll appeal to many who have combined HT and Audio rooms, it might be the best of both worlds. Also, I don't know of any true 3-way bookshelves for $750/pr, certainly not with concentric drivers. I'm still pretty interested in hearing how these sound.
True, even used as standard bookshelf speakers, they could be really good for $750... but they'd be equally good for that purpose and cheaper than $750 without the extra concentric driver and additional cabinet expenses needed for it....

So for anyone not interested in shelling out the money for an Atmos capable AVR for the foreseeable future... it's money put into something that won't be used... Of course, not everyone will see it that way (I do recognize that some people actually keep speakers for long periods of time, unlike myself), and I'm sure Pioneer is counting on that...

I'm also curious how they sound... but I'm with a few others here... I'd be more interested in a non-Atmos model without the top driver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis