Audioholics Subwoofer Measurement Data Compilation & Report

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
All;

I just uploaded the latest test data as a zip file containing the Excel spreadsheet and a PDF version courtesy of Haraldo. It's on the first post for this thread. Let me know if there are any issues opening it.

If anyone knows of a FREE Zip program, please also send me a link. I keep using the trial version of WinZip b/c people have complained of incompatibility issues using a generic Zip program. thanks.
7-Zip - just make sure to use zip, 7z format is not very widespread

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Or use 7z and force them all to switch to 7zip :D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
All;

I just uploaded the latest test data as a zip file containing the Excel spreadsheet and a PDF version courtesy of Haraldo. It's on the first post for this thread. Let me know if there are any issues opening it.

If anyone knows of a FREE Zip program, please also send me a link. I keep using the trial version of WinZip b/c people have complained of incompatibility issues using a generic Zip program. thanks.
Best free zip program around: 7-Zip | The Best Zip Compression Utility

D

drdave

Audiophyte
Compilation Date excel & pdf

Hi there,
My first post, I'm afraid I've tried multiple times downloading the files to view, tried 7Zip, WinWar on both files. They unzip the files alright, but then neither open, either with microsoft Excel read or Adobe, Adobe says file is either corrupted or improperly e-mailed ! Would love to see this information. I only have room for one sub really, my old Sumo Samson (unpowered ver) just can't handle LFE on some of these newer movies. The 150lb beast, with a fine 15' JBL 2235h powered by 600w (Cinepro 600X) is making some bad noises, with music still great. I'm afraid I have to unhook it and leave it as our end table next to our couch and place another sub up front in a better location. Leaning toward an SVS PC12-plus, very limited on space up front and no where else to go.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Hi there,
My first post, I'm afraid I've tried multiple times downloading the files to view, tried 7Zip, WinWar on both files. They unzip the files alright, but then neither open, either with microsoft Excel read or Adobe, Adobe says file is either corrupted or improperly e-mailed ! Would love to see this information. I only have room for one sub really, my old Sumo Samson (unpowered ver) just can't handle LFE on some of these newer movies. The 150lb beast, with a fine 15' JBL 2235h powered by 600w (Cinepro 600X) is making some bad noises, with music still great. I'm afraid I have to unhook it and leave it as our end table next to our couch and place another sub up front in a better location. Leaning toward an SVS PC12-plus, very limited on space up front and no where else to go.
Have you tried implementing a basic 2nd or 3rd order 15-18hz high-pass filter?? That will probably solve your problem of bad noises.

D

drdave

Audiophyte
Have you tried implementing a basic 2nd or 3rd order 15-18hz high-pass filter?? That will probably solve your problem of bad noises.
Thanks so much for the feedback, not quite sure how to do that, making a circuit (active) and trying to add it is a bit too difficult at this time. I did find some passive in-line filters at Harrison Labs I could put one at the input of my amp from the LFE sub-out of my Onkyo 3007, but they're only 12db/octave, the simplest one comes in 20hz or 30hz. I'm already using one of their in-line attenuators there because of the high gain of my Cinepro Amp. I'm confined to a wheelchair (broken neck "74), access to the equipment is difficult, for anybody, but my caregiver did add the attenuator, we could try this easy enough. Might help some, though I'd probably still be itching to get a SVS pc12-NSD or the plus for punch for movies.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
but they're only 12db/octave, the simplest one comes in 20hz or 30hz.
The 2nd order, 20hz filter should at least take away the issues you're having, although it might take away some bottom end in the process. I recommend giving it a shot.

Alternatively, I would consider adding a 2V MiniDSP to the signal chain.

D

drdave

Audiophyte
The 2nd order, 20hz filter should at least take away the issues you're having, although it might take away some bottom end in the process. I recommend giving it a shot.

Alternatively, I would consider adding a 2V MiniDSP to the signal chain.
Thanks very much, I just ordered the in-line high-pass 20hz through Amazon, I hope that prevents the clanging/chuffing etc. The Sumo/JBL 15" sub is in a bad spot, rear partial wall on the right with opening to it's right (hallway backwards) and opening to it's immediate right (to kitchen), but I'm thinking if this works and I get a SVS cylinder to the left front corner, we're good for some good action blu-rays. The Sumo Samson sub even with the high-pass filter might help with peaks/dips in the 30-80hz range, what do you think ? This is all conjecture, but you know when you get the bug for some bass, you can get a bit euphoric !

C

CadenceSound

Junior Audioholic
Let us know how we can go about sending our subs to get tested/reviewed..

J

jfalek

Enthusiast
Measurement Data in Excel Format

Hi,

I only see the PDF version on the forum and in the article. Is it possible to get the excel (csv?) file?

Thank you,
James

J

jfalek

Enthusiast
Hi,

I only see the PDF version on the forum and in the article. Is it possible to get the excel (csv?) file?

Thank you,
James
Why is there no "delete" post! Apologies, I just realized the error of my ways :eek: again :rolleyes:

l0gikal1

l0gikal1

Audiophyte
Very significant data presented and you did a great job in the research aspect of it!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
updated with Funk 18.0 test results. Review goes live tomorrow.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Our Subwoofer Data Table in the first post of this thread has been updated to include the JL Audio e110 and e112 subs. Stay tuned for our review of these subs coming early next week.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
alright... someone help me here...I'm unable to find the excel version of this review. I've looked for a zipped file, I've looked for a standard .xls file. I've looked on this thread's first post. I've looked in the review page. I cannot find this excel file. I cannot find this excel file, Sam I Am. *stumped*

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis