New Salk Exotica 3 speakers at Axpona

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Jim Salk showed a surprise new design at Axpona, the Exotica 3. It’s on the right, next to a SoundScape 8. It uses the same drivers as in the Salk Exotica 2-way monitor, EXOTICA - home.

The midwoofer of the 2-way is in a ported cabinet, and in the Exotica 3 it’s sealed in a separate compartment. The two woofers are Rhythmik 8” woofers powered by a built-in Rhythmik 400 watt servo-controlled amp. So, it’s an active/passive design. The active crossover between the powered woofers and the midrange is at about 110 Hz, and the passive crossover between the midrange and the tweeter is at about 1500 Hz, if I remember correctly. The passive mid and tweeter can be considered as an 8 ohm speaker with a sensitivity of about 92 dB, making this speaker easy to drive with a modest sized amp.

Jim Salk describes it in more detail here Exotica 3's

At 12 kilobucks per pair it ain’t cheap, but it created a big buzz at that recent audio show. The SS8 on the left in the photo is only 8 kilobucks per pair.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
No they're being introduced at $5995, they would RETAIL at $12k, which of course is speculation. Hopefully the regular price is only about 15% higher or so.

Is the Decimo still available, cause Seas is great and all, but damn!?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
No they're being introduced at $5995, they would RETAIL at $12k, which of course is speculation. Hopefully the regular price is only about 15% higher or so.
$5995 is the price of the Exotica 2 way monitors, not the Exotica 3 towers.
EXOTICA - home
EXOTIC Monitor pricing
Naturally, a speaker of this quality is priced accordingly. These drivers are the most expensive Seas builds. At retail, these would be about $12000 per pair. But we are offering them at an introductory price of $5995 in a standard finish (custom finishes available at extra cost).

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja

Is the Decimo still available, cause Seas is great and all, but damn!?
$5995 is the price for the Exotica 2.

$11,995 is the price for the Exotica 3.

Exotica 3's

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Oh I didn't even catch that there's a v.2 and v.3. I wonder how many of those he sells. I might be in the wrong business...

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Something else to glean from one of Dennis' posts over there:

In any event, I'm looking forward to hearing the new 3-way Exotica's at the Capital Audio Fest in July. Jim and I will be sharing a room. Of course, the Exotica's will be up against some very stiff competition--my $275/pr towers.
I guess that means I'll be showing up to CAF again this year :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks guys for straightening out the price confusion. I'm sorry if my original post caused any of that confusion.

It's funny that we are so well informed about prices for speakers that I'm virtually certain (never say never) that I won't pay :D.

I guess that means I'll be showing up to CAF again this year :D
I guess I'll be going too.

When Dennis first started showing Philharmonic Audio speakers, he was so much the one-man operation that he need help to carry three large 3-way speakers from his house to the CAF hotel. I volunteered because I owed him a favor or two. Now, three years later, I can't refuse to help – it's too much fun.

It took 3 cars, mine, Dennis's and Jim Salk in a rental, and it all barely fit. I hope he has smaller speakers this summer. Better yet, Dennis should make Philharmonic Speaker Cables instead of speakers ;).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I thought THD was only 0.6% @ 30Hz and less above 30Hz?

Anyway, so these new Salk tower speakers have built-in subwoofers with internal amps.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I think maybe we need the OP to clarify his reaction. Is "off the chart" a good thing or a bad thing?
Is a raised eyebrow a good thing or a bad thing? These are certainly excellent distortion measurements, in any event. This speaker uses the passive crossover from the Exotica monitor and an active low pass cross on the built-in subwoofers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think maybe we need the OP to clarify his reaction. Is "off the chart" a good thing or a bad thing?
Is a raised eyebrow a good thing or a bad thing? These are certainly excellent distortion measurements, in any event. This speaker uses the passive crossover from the Exotica monitor and an active low pass cross on the built-in subwoofers.
What we have here is a failure to communicate. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis