Need receiver recommendations!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Greetings!

I'm in the market for a new receiver, and with $275 bucks in gift cards for futureshop, I have a decent range at my disposal. Problem is, I'm a Yamaha guy. My trusty RXV440 is now outdated, lacking hdmi, as well as any hd codec support and 7.1. This would normally not be an issue, Yamaha makes lots of receivers that fill that void, but none of them are available any longer. The new ones are coming but they aren't here yet. The RXV575 and 675 are sold out, the only ones left are the 375 and 1075.

This is made me starting thinking; I don't know jack about current receivers. I don't know what brands are reputable (although I will not buy an onkyo, don't even try recommending one), I don't know who's making the best what's. I know Yamaha has great dsp's, but I don't even use the ones I have, so it's not a huge selling feature.

So I need advice. And I'll do you a favor and narrow it down, I can only buy from futureshop. Go there to see a list of what's available (make sure it says in stock, I live I British Columbia).

Thanks!
SheepStar

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
With the criteria you've set, the Yamaha 375 looks to be your best bet. The Denon AVR-1513 (80W) & the Pioneer VSX-1023-K (75W) models in that price range all have lesser power, which would be the first thing that would influence my decision and Marantz isn't even in the ballpark.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
With the criteria you've set, the Yamaha 375 looks to be your best bet. The Denon AVR-1513 (80W) & the Pioneer VSX-1023-K (75W) models in that price range all have lesser power, which would be the first thing that would influence my decision and Marantz isn't even in the ballpark.
My budget isn't $275, It's just the gift card total. Also, 7.1 is a must. I guess I should put a list of features that I want.

- 7.1 (7.2 preferred)
- HD Codecs
- Room Correction (Denon wins here, would like the Sub EQ stuff as well)
- GUI that doesn't suck
- 4K pass through AND upscalling.
- Enough HDMI to never have to worry about it.

SheepStar

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So what is the top end of your budget? Without that, it's still shooting in the dark.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I would say, best case scenario is that you pick up either the Marantz 7008 or Denon X4000. XT32, with subEQ and all the bells and whistles.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
The X4000 is the cheapest Denon that gives you SubEQ. Barring the Onkyo NR818 (which doesn't have SubEQ) it is also the cheapest among all brands to give you Audyssey XT32 processing.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I would say, best case scenario is that you pick up either the Marantz 7008 or Denon X4000. XT32, with subEQ and all the bells and whistles.
I was afraid of that. Right now it's a 1300 dollar receiver, which is still a considerable amount of change with gift cards.

Ok, minus the Sub EQ. Is the XT32 worth the extra? Or, is any of the automatic room setup stuff really worth it? I never had issues doing mine manually before. I haven't used any of these auto setup systems before, and the only one I would really want done automatically is for a subwoofer (which could be bought externally also).

Thanks for the replies,

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
So what is the top end of your budget? Without that, it's still shooting in the dark.
Lets say 700-800 at the moment (including gift cards). Pioneer has a lot to offer as well, but I don't know about build quality, user interface, etc. Friend of mine has had Denon and Yamaha receivers apart before, and said that the Denon units looked like they were build by someone that actually cared about how it was designed (used high quality components and had a good layout). He also said Yamaha's seemed well build, but not quite the level of Denon. This was just his electrical engineering experience with a few of them, he hadn't seen Pioneer or other brands.

SheepStar

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm a fan of Pioneer's MCACC system over Audyssey, and they are introducing some sub EQ into their lower priced models this year.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I was afraid of that. Right now it's a 1300 dollar receiver, which is still a considerable amount of change with gift cards.

Ok, minus the Sub EQ. Is the XT32 worth the extra? Or, is any of the automatic room setup stuff really worth it? I never had issues doing mine manually before. I haven't used any of these auto setup systems before, and the only one I would really want done automatically is for a subwoofer (which could be bought externally also).

Thanks for the replies,

SheepStar
IME, XT32 didn't go leaps and bounds above XT, but that was for me in my room. For you it might be different. For me, XT32 is irrelevant but you can't have subEQ without it. SubEQ really does do a very good job and for multiple subs. The only reason to spend more for it, to me, is if you're going to be keeping the receiver for awhile and don't want to get in deep with measuring and manually EQing. Also worth noting is that subEQ also sets the proper delay for the subs and gets them firing at nearly the same times pretty consistently.

Lets say 700-800 at the moment (including gift cards). Pioneer has a lot to offer as well, but I don't know about build quality, user interface, etc. Friend of mine has had Denon and Yamaha receivers apart before, and said that the Denon units looked like they were build by someone that actually cared about how it was designed (used high quality components and had a good layout). He also said Yamaha's seemed well build, but not quite the level of Denon. This was just his electrical engineering experience with a few of them, he hadn't seen Pioneer or other brands.

SheepStar
I have to say I greatly prefer the UI of the Denon/Marantz units to the Pio's. MCACC has features that Audyssey doesn't which can be really nice depending on your needs, but the rest of the receiver usually leaves me underwhelmed except for their top end models. My personal preference is to Marantz.

I don't know what you want to do budget wise, when factoring in external stuff, but a miniDSP, a mic, and the right soundcard can get you great results as add on.

I think your best bet, within budget is probably this Pio. It has just about everything you need and I'm pretty sure it's the cheapest model that has a full set of preouts.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll admit to being a Yamaha fanboy and it took me by surprise that your EE friend thought the build was better for Denon compared to Yamaha; surprised from the POV that Yamaha is the envy of the industry in terms of reliability and QC. I'm looking at an open box RX-V1075 for $650 at my local Future Shop. Like you, I don't see the need to use Sub EQ. It sounds fantastic the way it is. Regardless of which model you choose, I would shy away from the entry level stuff regardless of manufacturer and aim mid price if you can affford it.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
IME, XT32 didn't go leaps and bounds above XT, but that was for me in my room. For you it might be different. For me, XT32 is irrelevant but you can't have subEQ without it. SubEQ really does do a very good job and for multiple subs. The only reason to spend more for it, to me, is if you're going to be keeping the receiver for awhile and don't want to get in deep with measuring and manually EQing. Also worth noting is that subEQ also sets the proper delay for the subs and gets them firing at nearly the same times pretty consistently.

I have to say I greatly prefer the UI of the Denon/Marantz units to the Pio's. MCACC has features that Audyssey doesn't which can be really nice depending on your needs, but the rest of the receiver usually leaves me underwhelmed except for their top end models. My personal preference is to Marantz. I don't know what you want to do budget wise, when factoring in external stuff, but a miniDSP, a mic, and the right soundcard can get you great results as add on. I think your best bet, within budget is probably this Pio. It has just about everything you need and I'm pretty sure it's the cheapest model that has a full set of preouts.
I only have 1 subwoofer, and it really doesn't get nearly enough of a work out to require EQing (I'm happy with how it sounds). I also won't own my own home in the near future, so even down the line subwoofer EQing isn't really a necessary feature. Marantz units seem to be a few hundred higher then everyone else, so I haven't looked to closely at what features that brings to the table. I definitely don't like the port hole front display though.

They do have the Denon X2000 model as well, which has most of the features that the X4000 has. Pioneer definitely gives a nice bang for the buck, but I've heard people complaint about the remote being poorly laid out.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I'll admit to being a Yamaha fanboy and it took me by surprise that your EE friend thought the build was better for Denon compared to Yamaha; surprised from the POV that Yamaha is the envy of the industry in terms of reliability and QC. I'm looking at an open box RX-V1075 for $650 at my local Future Shop. Like you, I don't see the need to use Sub EQ. It sounds fantastic the way it is. Regardless of which model you choose, I would shy away from the entry level stuff regardless of manufacturer and aim mid price if you can affford it.

Yeah, I'm not looking at those models, mostly checking stuff in the 600-800 range, preferring to stretch my dollar as far as possible (sales etc). I am not against Yamaha, Denon, or Pioneer. I just don't know enough about Denon and Pioneer to say if it's worth the price increase for Denon, or the usability trade off for Pioneer.

SheepStar

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I only have 1 subwoofer, and it really doesn't get nearly enough of a work out to require EQing (I'm happy with how it sounds). I also won't own my own home in the near future, so even down the line subwoofer EQing isn't really a necessary feature. Marantz units seem to be a few hundred higher then everyone else, so I haven't looked to closely at what features that brings to the table. I definitely don't like the port hole front display though.

They do have the Denon X2000 model as well, which has most of the features that the X4000 has. Pioneer definitely gives a nice bang for the buck, but I've heard people complaint about the remote being poorly laid out.

SheepStar
My only issue with the Denon is that it has no preouts so if you have this receiver long enough to go through some upgrades it can get made obsolete a touch quicker than one with preouts.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
I have had two Onkyo receivers fail and have issues just out of warranty. Been using a Denon AVR-1911 for 3+ years and no issues.

The Denon's with Audyssey are tough to to beat and offer some EQ for the sub. While it's not SubEQ it will help bad room modes and tighten things up.

Good luck.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
My only issue with the Denon is that it has no preouts so if you have this receiver long enough to go through some upgrades it can get made obsolete a touch quicker than one with preouts.
Preouts are not really something I require. I don't have a power amp, and if I was going to run one, I would rather buy separates.

SheepStar

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Preouts are not really something I require. I don't have a power amp, and if I was going to run one, I would rather buy separates.

SheepStar
In that case, I'm not sure there's much else to talk about. If it were me, I'd probably be picking between one of the Pio's or the Denon in your price range. Given that you like to do things manually, a Pio is probably the better option. IMO, they're less intuitive to use than the Denons/Marantz's and the manual has always been my least favorite, but you should be able to figure it out pretty easily.<style id="pageBrightnessCustomCSS">body{zoom:175%;}</style>

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Brian, if you have more than one distinct location that you like to sit while listening to your system, Pioneer is the way to go. Audyssey cannot store more than one configuration, while Advanced MCACC can. That's the biggest reason that I prefer Pioneer. I often sit in either the center of the room or off to the side, and those two locations have distinctly different optimal speaker timings. Audyssey couldn't accommodate that.

If you don't, then I think Audyssey and MCACC are similar. I haven't used the top-end Audyssey, but I have used MultEQ (now called Bronze, I guess) in a Denon, Onkyo, and two Marantz receivers. I thought it did a real nice job for a single location.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
In that case, I'm not sure there's much else to talk about. If it were me, I'd probably be picking between one of the Pio's or the Denon in your price range. Given that you like to do things manually, a Pio is probably the better option. IMO, they're less intuitive to use than the Denons/Marantz's and the manual has always been my least favorite, but you should be able to figure it out pretty easily.<style id="pageBrightnessCustomCSS">body{zoom:175%;}</style>
See that's what I needed. Pioneer isn't as intuitive. I have a GF that will be using this as well, so easier to use is a plus. I have narrowed it down the the Pioneer and Denon models I want (one of the Pioneers is $600 off right now) so hopefully in the next month or so I can pull the trigger.

I'll keep you informed.

Thanks everyone!

SheepStar

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yamaha can store at least three configurations....at least the older models could such as the RX-V1800. I think the newer models store more than three configurations.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis