Krell Illusion and Illusion II Stereo Preamplifiers Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Krell's $15k Illusion and $7k Illusion II preamplifers may look the similar, but they are completely different. The Illusion is an all-analog solution that breaks the power supply into a separate box. It has proprietary connections so, if you have all Krell gear, you can realize sonic benefits you didn't know you needed. The Illusion II has digital connections, a headphone output (no, the Illusion flagship doesn't have a headphone output), and no ability to add an internal crossover for your subs. We find some of their design choices odd but, then again, they've been at this a long time. Surely they know their customers.

Discuss "Krell Illusion and Illusion II Stereo Preamplifiers Preview" here. Read the article.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
no, I don't.....

I find it very weird how design strategy can be so totally different for two products in the same range

A

Ampdog

Audioholic
As an EE with audio background, and with all respect to Krell, I find this something that one would purchase for name display i.e. high-end or whatever the present fashionable term is. I certainly cannot see myself fork out that amount of money for a pre-amp, even if I could afford it. In my country one could buy a modest car for that amount.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
In my country one could buy a modest car for that amount.
In the US one can buy a rather nice new car for that amount, say a Chevrolet Cruze, with dealer incentives. Nonetheless, in a world where people can buy yachts the size of military vessels, cars that cost $2M, and residential estates that cost $100million, a $15K preamp is a modest extravagance. If $15K was virtually nothing to me I might own one just to admire the metalwork.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
In the US one can buy a rather nice new car for that amount, say a Chevrolet Cruze, with dealer incentives. Nonetheless, in a world where people can buy yachts the size of military vessels, cars that cost $2M, and residential estates that cost $100million, a $15K preamp is a modest extravagance. If $15K was virtually nothing to me I might own one just to admire the metalwork.
Don't you get it? It's right in the name - Illusion of well spent money :) and In US (2nd hand) you could definitely get a very nice car:
From Ford Mustang to BMW 5 series
Cars for Sale: 2011 Ford Mustang Coupe in Bronx, NY 10469: Coupe Details - 365493746 - AutoTrader.com
Cars for Sale: 2008 BMW 535i Sedan in HACKENSACK, NJ 07601: Sedan Details - 362358070 - AutoTrader.com

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Who's the OP who has in their signature... a fool and is money are soon parted.

Its boutique candy..... and one can own an amp/preamp combo that easily matches the Krell capabilities for half the price.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Its boutique candy..... and one can own an amp/preamp combo that easily matches the Krell capabilities for half the price.
Or build one that surpasses it for 25% of the cost!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't like the Illusion of owning something good. I prefer the Reality of owning something great. :D

I don't even like the aesthetics of those Krell. I still think McIntosh looks best. :D

But the reality is that AVRs can potentially sound a lot better because you can get Audyssey XT32 + Dual Sub EQ + DEQ, which you cannot get with those Krell.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan

With all due respect, It's an interesting statement... as you haven't auditioned the Krell discussed here (or it's what I think)
I am not saying you are wrong, by any means, but what would you suggest as a combo that matches the Krell for half the price? :p

Any of the Devialet's would probably easily have any Krell beaten... by a mile... and the flexibility of the Devialet's is quite interesting

In my eyes, the Devialet design visually beat any Krell, most other amps too, I reckon...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't like the Illusion of owning something good. I prefer the Reality of owning something great. :D

I don't even like the aesthetics of those Krell. I still think McIntosh looks best. :D

But the reality is that AVRs can potentially sound a lot better because you can get Audyssey XT32 + Dual Sub EQ + DEQ, which you cannot get with those Krell.
Audyssey XT32 + Dual Sub EQ + DEQ aren't required to make a pre-amp.pwer amp combo sound good. I would be very happy with the new Yamaha amp/pre-amp combo and put the money saved into HT room. :)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Sometimes I think Gene previews components like this just to sit back and have a good belly laugh at all of the replies about how some cheaper product works just as well. Personally, I wish the stock market was this predictable.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Sometimes I think Gene previews components like this just to sit back and have a good belly laugh at all of the replies about how some cheaper product works just as well. Personally, I wish the stock market was this predictable.
So you don't think the Yammy combo would sound every bit as good as the Krell reviewed? Maybe its not a fair comparison to the Krell as the Yammy preamp has measured exceedingly well in all areas. ;) at less than half teh price.

Lets face facts here!! Its not for the audio performance that one buys this combo. Its for exclusivity, name dropping, and shiny sheet metal ...oh and to demonstrate that one has deep enough pockets.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
So you don't think the Yammy combo would sound every bit as good as the Krell reviewed? Maybe its not a fair comparison to the Krell as the Yammy preamp has measured exceedingly well in all areas. ;) at less than half teh price.

Lets face facts here!! Its not for the audio performance that one buys this combo. Its for exclusivity, name dropping, and shiny sheet metal ...oh and to demonstrate that one has deep enough pockets.
I don't know if the Yamaha sounds as good or not, since I haven't heard either one. I do agree that pride of ownership is a big factor in electronics in this price range. I do know that I sorely miss the precision, in so many ways, of my old Mark Levinson No39 CD player. Sometimes I wonder if I should have sold it. Yeah the Tascam/Benchmark sounds as good, I think, but they are really nowhere near as fun to use. Perhaps the Krell stuff is like that in this case.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Pride of ownership, and the best of the best build quality.

If an AVR dies on you, it will most likely be replaced. If a Krell dies on you, then it is pretty much always gonna be worth repairing it.

No gimmicks, bells and whistles, but this means that if it fits your needs now, then it will most likely always fit your needs, so you can own it for a looooong time. And you better own it a long time at those prices!

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe a good choice for bigwill125, who is asking about "the best", and for whom "the sky is the limit" regarding price.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
How high is it? :)
Way high. If Bill Gates were allowed to, and he's not, he could buy five new Gerald Ford-class aircraft carriers (estimated cost: $12B each), and still have well over $15B left over to be one of the richest people in the world. (Since MSFT is over $40/share he might have more like $20B left over.) Imagine all the jobs he'd create having them built. ;) Krell pre-amps, meh!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis