Orb Audio Mod1x, Mod2x, and SubONE Reviewed

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
For their 10th anniversary, Orb Audio has released updated versions of their speakers, including the Mod1X and Mod2X, as well as 2 new subwoofers, the subONE and subMINI. Orb Audio's trademark is their spherical design and unique finish options. We took a look at these small, fashionable, and decidedly un-boxy systems to see if they sound as good as they look.

Read the article: Orb Audio Mod1x, Mod2x, and SubONE Speakers Review

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Curious why they don't offer a version with a tweeter like the Gallos to solve the reduced high output by using single driver? I figure it keeps cost down and looks better, but it could be a higher model. I recommend the Orbs all the time when someone is looking for something small with high WAF.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Curious why they don't offer a version with a tweeter like the Gallos to solve the reduced high output by using single driver? I figure it keeps cost down and looks better, but it could be a higher model. I recommend the Orbs all the time when someone is looking for something small with high WAF.
There really isn't much engineering behind the Orb. Introducing a tweeter means someone has to design a crossover, and then all those parts have to be put into some kind of Orb like package. It is probably a lot more work than they have ever done.

That said, I have spent a lot of time with an Orb setup in the past...for what it is, it is good, but it is all about aesthetics first.

If you needed a small setup, I pushed the Hsu Ventriloquist setup...not as aesthetically pleasing, but still small. Unfortunately, Hsu discontinued it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you need a small speaker, I think these Behringer Behritones might stand a chance of being listenable. That is something I should give a chance one day, just to see how it is.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There really isn't much engineering behind the Orb. Introducing a tweeter means someone has to design a crossover, and then all those parts have to be put into some kind of Orb like package. It is probably a lot more work than they have ever done.

That said, I have spent a lot of time with an Orb setup in the past...for what it is, it is good, but it is all about aesthetics first.

If you needed a small setup, I pushed the Hsu Ventriloquist setup...not as aesthetically pleasing, but still small. Unfortunately, Hsu discontinued it.
Yeah, well the Gallos (Strada) that have the tweeter are ugly too, but they don't sound terrible. They look like an old phone or Johnny 5. Already figured the X-over was going to be the issue, but Bose did it by remoting it. That's also why I say it would need to be a specific model as it would require some design work to implement.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, well the Gallos (Strada) that have the tweeter are ugly too, but they don't sound terrible. They look like an old phone or Johnny 5. Already figured the X-over was going to be the issue, but Bose did it by remoting it. That's also why I say it would need to be a specific model as it would require some design work to implement.
Speaking Bose...while we bash Bose all the time for what they cost, the driver in their cubes are actually pretty good for their size.

The margin on the Orbs is pretty healthy. I wonder what they would charge for a two-way.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
true that, but least they had flatter measurement... of-course you needed a proper sub to blend them, no many flat to 200hz.
Please note, my measurement was from a single axis point, and had no smoothing applied. The SV measurements are clearly smoothed (not bad, just different).

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Speaking Bose...while we bash Bose all the time for what they cost, the driver in their cubes are actually pretty good for their size.
OK for the size - however, I still prefer the Boston Soundware XS - and they did squeeze
a 1/2 inch tweeter in there.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Please note, my measurement was from a single axis point, and had no smoothing applied. The SV measurements are clearly smoothed (not bad, just different).
Then how much smoothing are you saying that they did - because that single axis midrange boost
and low treble dip, would tend to annoy me - and the bass still dives ( which is expected)

Last edited:
Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
Then how much smoothing are you saying that they did - because that single axis midrange boost
and low treble dip, would tend to annoy me - and the bass still dives ( which is expected)
That's a good question, they don't specify but based on the shape of their response, I'd say no less than 1/12 octave, and more likely 1/6th. They'd have to be asked to know for sure.

That said, here's the same measurement from the article in unsmoothed, 1/12th, and 1/6th octave so you can see the difference. It doesn't change the midrange boost or bass rolloff you mentioned, but you'll notice that more narrow peaks and nulls smooth out. This may seem deceptive, to smooth out a peaked response, but in reality, is better representative of how our ears hear. We'll hear a wide mid boost, but not the various narrow peaks and nulls.

Also notice the scale. Many +/-3dB is a standard tolerance, but some manufacturers rate their speakers within 6 or even 10dB.orb various smoothing.jpg

All this begs the question, "How do they sound" which is feel is answered in the review. Clear and present in the midrange, light in the bass, and slightly subdued in the high-frequency, which is supported by the measurements.

U

User5910

Enthusiast
2.5" or 3" full-range driver = compromise

Already figured the X-over was going to be the issue, but Bose did it by remoting it. That's also why I say it would need to be a specific model as it would require some design work to implement.
Even so Bose doesn't get a level frequency response. In a Intellexual.net review (now on the Internet Archive) the 2.5" Acoustimass 15 satellites measure out at 280 Hz to 13.3k Hz ±10.5 dB and the FR graph looks about as unappealing as the Orb.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis