Once again: what are you listening to now?

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Carnivale Time

Well today is the last day of the Carnival, officially ending Mardi Gras. While Carnivale has been long celebrated in Europe before it arrived here, none can boast the world wide signature “Nu’ Orlins” sound, from here in the good ol’ USA. We’ll start with Al Johnson’s classic “Carnival Time”. BTW that’s Henry Roeland "Roy" Byrd (aka Professor Longhair) on piano. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Next up is a celebration of New Orleans Indian chiefs. If you’ve watched HBO’s Treme, this song and the Indian chief’s history, needs no introduction. Here is an abridged version of Danny Barker (lead vocals) & the Baby Dodds Trio doing “My Indian Red”. BTW if you’re into the NO sound you might want to pick up the Baby Dodds Trio Jazz A’La Creole (*******) on GHB Records, recorded in 1946. The original on the cd is :55 seconds longer.
I truly need to get a life. :eek:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Have the lawyers representing Stevie Ray Vaughn's estate contacted Mr. Duarte about back payment on his royalties? ;)

Then again, if anyone can mimic Stevie Ray that well and give it that same feel, maybe the estate should put him on retainer. :)
He sure does sounds like Stevie......... That's a good thing in my books.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I’ll leave you with a song that introduced me and got me addicted to the whole New Orleans music ethos back in 1974 from Professor Longhair's album, Rock 'n Roll Gumbo (********) , a must have in any music collectors collection; a hybrid of the Mambo and Latin rhythms, perfected by ‘Fess, to create a unique genre. I still can’t shake that monkey off my back … Hell, I’m not even tryin’. :)

... as usual, Thanks for your indulgence.

defmoot

defmoot

Audioholic

Soundtrack - The Big Easy

big_easy_med.jpg

This is a good album with some great classics. I like the grittier stuff best:
- "Oh Yeh Yai" (Terrance Simien)
- "Pine Grove Blues" (Dewey Balfa)
- "Zydeco Gris Gris" (Beausoleil) is just wonderfully filthy...

Plus the essential "Tipitina" (Fess).

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

J

jimincfalls

Enthusiast
Yes - Topographic Oceans
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Supreme Beings Leisure

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Jim Croce - The Lost Recordings. It's amazing how many great folks singers have a J name. I'm on a huge Croce kick lately he died around my age so I feel this connection with his songs I never felt as a kid.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
William Parker Organ Quartet.

[video=youtube;Q1Jjy76rtD4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Jjy76rtD4[/video]

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
psbfan9;1022002[/QUOTE said:
Anyone recognize the bassist?
John Paul Jones, from Led Zep, sans a lot of hair. :) Very good producer, for the Vultures album and quite a few other artists.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Marah - Jesus In The Temple

Fountains Of Wayne - Strapped For Cash

NRBQ - Never Take The Place Of You

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
The Cult - Love Removal Machine